Plans

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Plans

Post by lonely_wolf »

Legend is barely readable, but then you know anyway!
Link to slightly better high resolution version is underneath.

http://i587.photobucket.com/albums/ss31 ... _hires.jpg
Last edited by lonely_wolf on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3s visitor 1975
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Plan

Post by Angela Woodford »

Thank you for this, Lonely Wolf!

Looking at the layout... I think it's a great shame that the Art School was demolished! It was a lovely 30's building which would have made a gorgeous house. Furthermore, it didn't deserve to be pulled down! :roll: Only good things happened in the Art School!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Aerial photo

Post by lonely_wolf »

Courtesy of Google Maps, please note that their terms are "personal, non-commercial use only", in case anyone was thinking of flogging copies to OBs.

I've included the station at the very top centre, and the Dolphin can also be identified.

3s visitor 1975
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

House plan

Post by lonely_wolf »

Drawn digitally from a hand copy of sketch plans in Hertford museum, donated by someone in 4s 1969-76.

A note said "1974? Later, wardrobe rooms were refurbished as housemistress flat, and wardrobe went into [old housemistress'] bedroom".

Edit 1-2:
- Added legend for Housemistress sitting room / office as advised by MKM (blank on original).

Edit 3-6:
- Altered baths/sinks/loos/front room area, thanks to MaryB's advice.
- Added legend for maid's or housemistress' guest room ("bedroom?" on original), differentiated airing and wardrobe rooms and resized them, and noted scullery, all based on Jo's posts elsewhere.
- Enlarged LVI study at expense of tuck room based on various evidence.
Last edited by lonely_wolf on Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 6 times in total.
3s visitor 1975
MKM
Grecian

Re: Plans

Post by MKM »

Fascinating. It must from the other side of the square to sixes, because it is a mirror image. The ground floor room underneath the house mistress's bedroom was her sitting room/office. We didn't have a Vth form table, and the tuck room was called something different - can't remember what.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Yes, that's 1's-4's but not 2's 'cos we didn't have a Vth form table either. Little study also housed the piano and doubled as a music room.

Incidentally, when I was Lower VIth we only had one Upper Sixth and there were only 2 of us in Lower VI so we were all in the big study. Vth form tried to appropriate the little study but they weren't allowed to.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

One side of the square - and I should definitely know which it was - had tuck room and Little Study the same size: the other had a narrower tuck room and a bigger LS. Our table lay out was different in 3s - two parallel tables at the hall end, with a 6th form table at the far end, also parallel, not the open square formation shown here. Housemistress sat at the door end of the right hand table.

Also, I think the airing room and single bedroom extended to the side wall in front: the 2 loos on each floor ("down the end" in 3s) were sandwiched between the other rooms and the bathrooms: there was a sink on the left and two doors immediately in front of you as you turned the corner, with the airing room/bedroom door on your right. Lots of brass here - copper pipes to the ceiling over the sink had to be cleaned, plus brass taps, moulded decorative bolt mechanisms and door handles on the loo doors.

Oh and while I think of it (how sad is this?) the bathroom basins were also partitioned and curtained off (for use on non-bath nights: either Tues, Thurs, Sat or Mon, Wed, Fri (list posted outside each bathroom)- and no-one was supposed to have a bath on Sunday unless you were a 6th former "sleeping in" and missing breakfast - permitted once a term), and the second or third one along had a shower attachment for hair washing. No other showers anywhere at all. When I feel strong enough I will post about hair washing and the scars that it - or rather its forbiddenness - have left on my soul.....
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Yes Mary, that is our side of the square, so obviously 1's or 4's. And you are correct about the loos, I hadn't noticed that. Many a night I sat in there finishing my needlework, leaping up to turn off the light when I heard Fanny's sitting room door open.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

The fact that it was donated by someone in 4s is perhaps a bit of a clue?
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by lonely_wolf »

Last one, single sheet A4 plan

4th year now, so up to 2nd floor to bag that room ...
3s visitor 1975