Just stumbled upon this site.......sounds like fun...

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

Just stumbled upon this site.......sounds like fun...

Post by thamesmudandbarges »

I just stumbled across this site from a link to a link to a link kind of thing, although it was the last site I was looking for. Actually, I cannot even remember the route - it was so circuitous - I was just looking for info on....ah.....now I remember - bloomers and linings! And don't ask any leading questions about why I was searching for such info - I assure you it was totally innocent!

Then I discovered there was a special place for Hertford memories...and I just couldn't resist registering.

Anyone who was at CH at the same time as I was will know all about Thames mud and barges and why I have adopted that as my username - I used to look forward to it all week!

Does anyone here remember Monicks, House 8?
MKM
Grecian

Re: Just stumbled upon this site.......sounds like fun...

Post by MKM »

thamesmudandbarges wrote:I just stumbled across this site from a link to a link to a link kind of thing, although it was the last site I was looking for. Actually, I cannot even remember the route - it was so circuitous - I was just looking for info on....ah.....now I remember - bloomers and linings! And don't ask any leading questions about why I was searching for such info - I assure you it was totally innocent!

Then I discovered there was a special place for Hertford memories...and I just couldn't resist registering.

Anyone who was at CH at the same time as I was will know all about Thames mud and barges and why I have adopted that as my username - I used to look forward to it all week!

Does anyone here remember Monicks, House 8?
I don't remember Monicks (sorry). Give us a clue - maybe some dates? But I definitely remember Thames mud and barges - wonderfully filling. I could eat a bowl full right now. :tonqe: I also liked the rice pudding :tonqe: and gooseberry pie :tonqe: and custard.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I was talking about Thames mud and barges just the other day! How could we forget it? Did we have it every week? At one stage I had the job of writing out the weekly menu for the school from Miss MIlton's (where did that name come from?) master copy, it was called by another name there!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Thames mud and barges was just about my favourite pudding. Yumm :tonqe:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Sounds intriguing! Let me guess... bananas in chocolate sauce?
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Good guess, and that sounds yummy too. But actually it was big chunks of shortbread in chocolate sauce. Not the rich dark chocolate sauce that comes out of squirty bottles, but like a chocolate custard. Terribly unhealthy, of course, as were most of our puddings, but absolutely delicious!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

The barges arrived as a big slab of solid thick shortbread in a tin serving dish, and was cut up at the top of the table. The Thames Mud was a deep enamel dish of thick chocolate custard slopped into bowls with a metal serving spoon.

It definitely was one of the best puddings. We didn't have it very often, but it was always received with enthusiasm! The official menu, pinned up at the back of Dining Hall next to the door to the kitchens, described it less excitingly as "shortbread with chocolate sauce".

I've reproduced a luxury version of this pudding and it was a great success! But never, never have I made a better rice pudding than the Hertford one.

Monicks.... no! More clues, please! Why were you looking for references to blues and linings elsewhere? :D
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think the largest representation on here is Hertford OBs between 60 and 75 with a few older and some younger, and that includes the 'Horsham OBs. We certainly make our presence felt.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

englishangel wrote:I think the largest representation on here is Hertford OBs between 60 and 75 with a few older and some younger, and that includes the 'Horsham OBs. We certainly make our presence felt.
Monica.....Houghton... was it? Rings a bell - memory is getting crusty! Housemistress of Eights. Known as Monicks.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Of course - Monica Houghton! Tall woman - dyed black hair, quite dignified - spelling of name not to be confused with 6's dear old Miss Scott Haughton (Pot).

You began in 1964 - so did I - Clare? Susan? Joy? Please pm me and put me out of my misery? 8's Study were allowed their Dansette record player on at random hours. If you're Susan, I was deeply thrilled to listen to your "Jesus Christ Superstar" LP through headphones. My first experience of huge black vinylly headphones! I've never forgotten it.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

Were you in 8's?

I remember a Joy -- just searching around in my memory for the surname. Was it Woodward?

And I remember a Clare....can't remember surname...

And...

Carola Curwen!...Ha ...Just came back to me!

Good Lord! The old memory is failing! I used to be able to recite the name of every girl from 1 to 36 in my house. Now I can't remember - except my crack - Janet Sussex - and her friend - Helen Winter. So many names - they fade and reappear unbidden. And then there was Viv someone who used to sing to me "Windmills of the Mind"....
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Thames Mud - if you were in 8's, the Study in 1971 was Susan Lintott, Clare Tattersall and Joy Woodward. Carola Curwen (the giver-upper-of bread in Lent) left at the end of the UV. Kerren tells us that Clare is now madly important in the OB Admin Board-or-whatever.

A question! What colour was 8's Dayroom painted? Do you remember?
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Was Miss Houghton the one who had trained as a ballet dancer? A rather elegant woman, with unusual slanting eyes?
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

MKM wrote: A rather elegant woman, with unusual slanting eyes?
I had no idea about the ballet, but - yes - it figures! "Monica" was indeed tall and rather elegant amongst the other Housemistresses!
thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

Angela Woodford wrote:Thames Mud - if you were in 8's, the Study in 1971 was Susan Lintott, Clare Tattersall and Joy Woodward. Carola Curwen (the giver-upper-of bread in Lent) left at the end of the UV. Kerren tells us that Clare is now madly important in the OB Admin Board-or-whatever.

A question! What colour was 8's Dayroom painted? Do you remember?
Yes, I remember all those names now!

Dayroom colours - I can't remember. Was it cream or was it hideous pink?

Sorry, memory lets me down.

What about locker birthdays, though? I always chose one of two hymns - I vow to thee my country, or "When through the whirr of wheels and engines humming, patiently waiting for the son of man, dawns on the air the triumph of his coming, who in the clouds was pledged to come again." I think it was the minor key that got me.

Lesley Bonham was my best friend - but I left early.