Just stumbled upon this site.......sounds like fun...

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

Re: Just stumbled upon this site.......sounds like fun...

Post by thamesmudandbarges »

That's just dragged up another memory - aren't memories ljust ike fishing hooks - you get one which hooks another and another.....?

Who were the twins in 7's....see I've just answered my own question...Imogen Sylvester and her twin.......? hmm the name of her twin has not come back to mind. Two redheads. I'm sure someone else will recall.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

thamesmudandbarges wrote:"When through the whirr of wheels and engines humming, patiently waiting for the son of man, dawns on the air the triumph of his coming, who in the clouds was pledged to come again." I think it was the minor key that got me.
I'd forgotten that hymn! I liked it too! It might have been from the Songs of Praise we had in House, as opposed to the Hymns A&M in Chapel.

Imogen and Helen Sylvester started off with me in I's. Oh! the dreadful Millie. Then Junior Houses were abolished in autumn '65 and Imogen went into 7's and Helen into 8's. They stayed only one year after that...

There's a photo of them in a long-ago thread entitled "Munch's Father's Colour Slides 1964" if you ever felt like seeing the Twins again. I've often wondered what they went on to do.

If you remember a Dayroom painted a hideous pink, you must have been in 5's to start with! It really was a horrible colour.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

No, I started and ended in eights.

Now I rmember Helen and Imogen - but they were always in sevens as far as I remember.

There was a time I could have recited every house member of eights from 1 - 36 but I am an old git now and such things elude me.

Howvere, it's fun to remember - I'm sure it helps to ward off dementia.

Lesley and I would chimney walk up the box at the back of the school hall where the weights came down that controlled the school clock. We ended up in the loft. I seem to remember that we even careved our initials on the flagpole.

Funnily enough, one of my brothers now lives in Hertford and I recently went to visit him and we walked through the old CH grounds. The houses are there - office blocks now (remember square bashing?) but the infirmary and art block on one side have gone and the science and school blocks on the other. I think the old school hall remains in some form or another - heh - reminds me of Susannah Holmes' picture that dominated the dining hall - or was it the school hall? Somewhere in the vicinity, anyway.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

We do more than just chat.

viewtopic.php?t=2503
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

Okay, sorry, have I missed something?

Anyone care to enlighten me?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

If you click on the link in my previous post, you will see we had a reunion at Hertford a year ago. Proposed by Caroline Barrett 6's 65-70 as she was coming over from Oz and Hertford Museum had an exhibition on about CH Hertford. About 40 of us turned up. The exhibition was entitleed "Forgotten Blues". the curator had asked if anyone had any suggestions and I think it was Mary McDonagh (as was, also 6's 65-72) who came up with the name.

The museum is closed at the moment for upgrading but when it reopens there is going to be a permanent exhibition about CH.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

thamesmudandbarges wrote:
Now I rmember Helen and Imogen - but they were always in sevens as far as I remember.

reminds me of Susannah Holmes' picture that dominated the dining hall - or was it the school hall? Somewhere in the vicinity, anyway.
There were two sets of twins admitted in 1964 - Helen and Imogen in 1's, Faith and Rosemary Morgan (well-behaved to an exemplary degree) in 5's. When the Junior Houses were abolished, DR split up both sets of twins - Faith to 4's, Rosemary to 3's, Imogen to 7's and Helen to 8's. I swear it, honestly! And when the Sylvesters left, I never got to say goodbye!

There were no more twins in my time, but I remember the Haywards - Jane, Angela, Sarah and Emma. Four sisters! I believe Jane had left before Sarah arrived - but still remarkable!

The large Susannah portrait was alongside 1's dining table. There was a smaller portrait, showing her famously lovely eyebrows, over one set of swing doors in the School Hall!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think Jane and Emma overlapped by just the one year, 67/68, as there was a year bewtween Jane and Angela, two years between Angela and Sarah and three years between Sarah and Emma. Sarah is on Friends Reunited but I don't think any of the others are.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

A memory!

Sarah Hayward joined Deirdre Hobbs and me for a short time in Home Economics Theory with Miss Jukes. Maybe for a couple of months? And then no longer. I've no idea why. Or have I? :lol:

I think Miss Jukes was disconcerted by Sarah. Sarah was quiet, spoke little and was clearly not frightened by Miss Jukes! Deirdre spoke up confidently and knew all the work. I was infinitely bullyable, obviously a nervous wreck and spoke up constantly trying to bluff my way through...

So you'd get

Miss Jukes: (lifting her eyes from "Hildreth", our incredibly boring textbook) And so, what do we call our cweaming mixture? Angela?

Me: (gibbering a bit) Well, Miss Jukes, it's paler, it's lighter, it's even a bit frothy if one beats it really hard; it's...

Miss Jukes: Wubbish! Sawah?

Sarah: (smiling slightly through thick long eyelashes, sits serenely and makes absolutely no reply)

Miss Jukes: Well? Well? (to herself) By Jove! (then resignedly) Deirdwe?

Deirdre: An air-in-fat foam, Miss Jukes.

It must have helped enormously to have had those fabulous eyelashes. Like having the protection of speaking behind some sort of awning! All the Haywards had those eyelashes - lucky things!
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I love your dialogue, Angela.

I can almost here the dreaded Miss J speaking !! :lol:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

J.R. wrote:I can almost here the dreaded Miss J speaking !! :lol:
I think you mean dweaded. I was very bad at cookery, though good at maths. Miss Jukes took it as a personal insult when I failed to cut some food (I forget what) into perfect rectangles. "Weally, call yourself a mathematician...".
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Mary, you weren't the first to get that tag - I'm sure I wasn't either! Did she have something against us?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Katharine wrote:Mary, you weren't the first to get that tag - I'm sure I wasn't either! Did she have something against us?
I can only suppose that she thought that maths was more difficult than cookery, so if we could do maths then we obviously could do cookery, and any failure was down to wilfullness, or lack of attention.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

englishangel wrote:I think Jane and Emma overlapped by just the one year, 67/68, as there was a year bewtween Jane and Angela, two years between Angela and Sarah and three years between Sarah and Emma. Sarah is on Friends Reunited but I don't think any of the others are.
That's correct. I started the same year as Emma and I remember Jane being in the UVI. She gave me and my pal Lindsay Morton a punishment of copying out the school rules when she found us out-of-bounds in the shrubbery.

I was the youngest in the school in my first year (a year younger than everyone else) and Emma was the second-youngest. We both stayed down in the second form and repeated the year. Emma left early - possibly at the end of that repeated year - IIRC their mother had secured a post as housemistress at Cheltenham Ladies' College, and Emma (and possibly Sarah) moved there.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

What I remember best about Emma was in the flower arranging competition, we had to do an arrangement based on a piece of music. Emma put some dead flowers in a vase and called it Symphonie Pathetique. DR was NOT amused but I thought was very witty and still do all these years later. It is the only thing I can remember about the flower arranging comp.