Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

strangerachael
2nd Former

Post by strangerachael »

Found this site the other day and have been working my way through all the posts. I was in 8s for the first couple of years until they closed it down, then I moved into 1s. I have to say I don't recognise many of the names, I think most of you were before my time (1979 - 1984) but the name Yvonne Payne rings a bell - were you in Katie Leeming's year? I am still in touch with Katie. I ought to remember since we lived next door for however many years, but it was a long time ago... I do remember Kathy Atterby - you were in the Upper 6th when I arrived, and seemed incredibly grown up and glamorous! And I also remember your friend Clare Peterken, who was my 'school-ma'.
Most of my memories have already been covered in other posts, but I just had to remind everyone about the Christmas Sale of Work !! Each house had a themed stall, one year our's was 'On the Grapevine' - one of Miss Morrison's favourite sayings - everything had to be purple or green. Everyone in the house had to make stuff to sell on the stall, then parents had to come and buy stuff on the last day of the Xmas term!
Does anyone remember the 'Sin Bin' - I think it was the cellar in the Science Block - I remember going to someone's birthday party in there. Also on the subject of cellars, a group of us colonised the cellar in 8s for a while, we used to spend hours down there, sometimes skiving lessons!! Another cellar-related memory is making ginger beer in biology and leaving the bottles to ferment on the cellar steps, and one by one they exploded, leaving a hazardous and sticky mess all the way down. Imagine what the health and safety lobby would have to say about that!
I have loads more anecdotes - I will try and dig out some notes written in prep, between cracks and cracklets, and possibly some diary extracts ....
Rachael
1979 - 1984 8:15 then 1:9
CHAZ
Grecian

Re: New member

Post by CHAZ »

Welcome rachel. Katie Leeming had a brother called Richard when I was at CH...
Anyway your posts and comments will transverse any age barriers here...!
Charles Forster
PeB 1978-1984
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

strangerachael wrote:the name Yvonne Payne rings a bell - were you in Katie Leeming's year? I am still in touch with Katie.
Yes I was in Katie's (Lemon!) year! I used to go over to 1's after prep to watch Corrie with her! :lol: She left at the end of the IV form as far as I can remember.
I remember the sin bin but I can't say I remember ever going there!
I also remember the Sale of Work :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Ah! The Sale of work. No parents allowed in my day, we flogged tat to each other and the staff. Houses and forms took alternate years to man the stalls, and the other lot did "side-shows". Did DR still read aloud to the VI form after prep on Mondays, in 8s day room? We had to do sale work in the winter term, and school needlework the other 2 terms while she was reading.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Oh yes, I remember the Science Block basement, but in my day it was called Sin City. I think it was made available to us in about 1970/71, and was promptly painted in a purple psychedelic colour scheme by probably some of the Vth form. I only went there a couple of times I think, and felt quite intimidated by people three or so years older than me being impossibly cool as they listened and danced along to early 70s rock. It made me feel very young, very innocent and very gauche :shock: :D
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
strangerachael
2nd Former

Post by strangerachael »

Vonny - I have pointed out this site to Lemon (!) so you never know she might venture a look, although she claims to have an adverse 'rage' reaction every time she thinks of CH !!!
I was having a look at some old notes and diaries last night - one thing that stands out is how religious we all were about Top of the Pops!! I know I said I might post some extracts but so far I haven't been able to find anything suitable for publication! Will have another look but it might have to be heavily edited.
Does anyone remember my mother, Margaret Wells, who was there from approx. 1953 - 1960? She was in 8s too. DR had gone by the time I got there but my mum may well remember the reading aloud in 8s dayroom. (My grandmother was also at the school but I would be surprised if any of her contemporaries are reading this, but in case you are, her name was Helen Cox).
I can't remember what we actually made for the Sale of Work - I imagine it would have been things like pin cushions and lavendar bags, but does anyone have any specific memories?
Rachael
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

strangerachael wrote:Vonny - I have pointed out this site to Lemon (!) so you never know she might venture a look, although she claims to have an adverse 'rage' reaction every time she thinks of CH !!!
:lol: :lol:
Please remember me to Lemon :lol:
I don't have any specific memories of the Sale of Work at all but I imagine pin cushions would have been about right! :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Angela Pratt 56-63
Deputy Grecian

Post by Angela Pratt 56-63 »

I remember Margaret Wells very well, I was in 8's with her and I think her brother(s?) were at Horsham with some of mine.
She was 3 years older with amazing thick long blond plaits that she could sit on!
Have you looked at Jenny Pardington's ( Bore, also 8's in 50s/60s) LETTERS FROM THE PAST. One letter is from Margaret as she was a good friend of Jenny's, who I know would love to regain contact with her.
I don't contribute much, nobody I really know, but love reading this forum and really enjoyed the Hertford Museum visit in April.

Angela Sandford, nee Pratt, 8.29
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Alex Thrift and I made gonks for the sale of work. Very 1960's.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Welcome Rachel, I remember your mother's name but that is all, I was in 6s.

As I remember it, on Monday nights DR read in the house of the Head Girl. In both of my first two years, we had the head Girl in 6s. We were not allowed into the dayroom when we came back from prep. We could read in the kitchen or in the cloakroom, having made sure we got our books out of our lockers before going to prep. It was quite a surprise to me when I was in L V when suddenly we did not have the readings!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
strangerachael
2nd Former

Post by strangerachael »

I spoke to Margaret this morning and she is looking forward to having a good look at this site, but is very busy at the moment. I know she will be fascinated!
Rachael
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

sorry, I made a mess of this one.....
Last edited by anniexf on Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
anniexf
Button Grecian

Post by anniexf »

Rachael, I remember Margaret Wells. She was a year or so above me in 8s. I envied her long blonde hair and perfect English rose complexion. She had a roguish sense of humour but it got her into a bit of hot water on one occasion. One of Matron's(or was she called Sister? anyway, the top banana of the Inf.) euphemisms concerned the proper functioning of one's bowels - her delicate enquiry was always "Have you been GOOD today?". For a joke, Margaret gave Matron a Christmas card that contained similar wording. Unfortunately the humour was lost on Matron, who came storming round to 8s to return the card & demand an apology! I wonder if your mother will remember that?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: green-win let lights

Post by Angela Woodford »

okokart3 wrote: High Energy Efficient and Quality First.

okokart3 has found the exact inspiration involved in Sewing For The Sale.

In the autumn of 1965, in good time for the Sale I began making a stuffed penguin.

I had wandered aimlessly in Pratts of Streatham during the October holidays. I loved the Fabric and Haberdashery Department. All those rolls of glossy soft crispy velvety immaculate fabric in glorious colours! The huge shiny inspirational books of Vogue, Style, McCalls and Simplicity! The display stands of cottons - scissors, pins, interlining, and needles!

One day, I would be slim and... pretty.... and fit into a wonderfully well sewn size 12 mini-dress for which I would be admired and Commended. The jowls of SWSNBN would quiver in reluctant approval. I could anticipate her voice already.

"A very nice piece of work, Angela."

But enough of this unlikely daydream.

I was supposed to be choosing a Something to make for the Sale, and I was running out of pocket money. Suddenly my eye was caught by a rack of make-your-own cuddly-toy-kits. Struggling with the mental arithmetic, I worked out that I would economise by buying a kit already cut out and ready to rock and roll. I chose a 6" high penguin. It looked so easy! If I got rid of its wrapping, it would be accepted that I had cut it out during the holidays in a High Energy and Efficient burst of preparatory zeal. All I had to get then was kapok! Fantastic. Sorted, as we would now say.

Once back at school, I began work on the penguin, carefully following the kit instructions. Would it go together as per diagram? I'd sewn and stuffed its wings and attempted to attach them to the gusset. The gusset wouldn't line up with its back area. Using black cotton showed up on the white gusset, and white cotton ruined its black wings. The penguin's orange beak, which I must have overstuffed with kapok for a firm effect, burst open in a fit of penguinly fury.

I was beginning to hate the penguin.

Maybe if I gave it a face, it would have a placating effect? I sewed on the eyes. The bird now took on an expression of extreme malevolence. It sat at the front of my locker, daily waiting to torment me. Once, in attack mode it actually flew from my locker door. Kapok was leaking from its bottom, and one wing was flapping free. Quality First, then.

I gave up any attempt at patient perfection with its construction. It had orange feet, and wouldn't stand upright, but I bodged it together. I knew it hated me too. I handed it in with the very greatest feeling of relief; half-dreading that it would totter back to torment me - or at least be returned by the Sale Police as substandard, or for having a bad attitude.

But I never saw it again.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Angela, you have reminded me that somewhere I have such a kit for a teddy bear, which I bought about 20 years ago and have never even opened. Now with the imminent arrival of Grandchild No 3 and the decluttering bug in full frenzy perhaps this is the perfect time to find it and get sewing. There are also various unfinished items of baby knitting from years past. One outfit was started before the birth of my nephew who is now about 21. I keep threatening to finish it for successive babies, but it is amazing how much fashions have changed even in clothes for newborn babies!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'