A Girl's School from Outside

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: A Girl's School from Outside

Post by Angela Woodford »

Alexandra Thrift wrote: Secondly, both Sophie and Julie had very frizzy hair ( I thought it was lovely ). Sophie has straightened her hair in your beautiful photo ( she probably still does...and with all the products and straightening irons on the market now, it's much easier these days ).

I love the "retro" fashion ( of course it wasn't retro then....although there is a hint of 1930s Gatsbyesque jauntiness about it), especially the guys...with the wide lapels , sleeveless jumpers and brown colours , doncha just love it ! They would look very trendy today as "retro" is very "in".

The building in photo 3 is definitely the swimming pool /gymnasium. You are just near where the back gate used to be,which led out to Hertford East Station across the road. These gates were opened on days out, first/last day of term etc to allow access to the station. You can see the beautiful cedar tree in the photo which was within the school grounds....it has been saved but is now situated in the middle / or at the side of the new road ( it hasn't moved but the road has ! ) If you compare that photo with now...the situation of the cedar tree shows the old/new perspective.

Thankyou for these lovely pics. P.S. What were YOU wearing that day Lonely_Wolf ?
Yes, Alex is absolutely correct! I loved seeing those 70s clothes again. If I were a skilled knitter, I'd definitely make one of those Fair Isle tank tops.

Hair straightening... mid 60's the way to do it was by ironing one's long hair! This method was made known by Jane Asher *sigh* Paul McCartney's beautiful redhead actress girlfriend, who featured in the ads for Breck shampoo. (I think the next major straight hair example heroine was the blonde in the Timotei ad.) I wonder what method Sophie employed? Hot hairdryer and a circular brush I should think! She must have spent ages on it before you guys arrived, Lonely Wolf?

Yes... what were YOU wearing? Do tell!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

I would have said it's a striped sunday blouse hanging up in second photo.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Just like an episode of Life on Mars seeing those photos :wink:

Real period pieces.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Vonny wrote:
mvgrogan wrote:
Vonny wrote:The closest we got to having male company at Hertford was when they got painters in just before the school closed in 1985 :lol:
...and the roofers! :oops:

Mx
Yes!! I remember the scaffolding outside my Cubie :lol:
I remember the guy on the roof (?5s) opposite my cubie when I was getting changed after games!.. didn't notice him there until it was too late! :lol:

Mx
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

A Girl's School from Outside

Post by lonely_wolf »

fra828 wrote:Who is the third girl in the last picture?
I didn't want to give any clues in case it caused preconceptions, but since nobody's had any ideas I will say that I think her 1st name may have been Jo. I definitely recall that she was in the year below S and T, i.e. left school in '76 (same as little bro :yawinkle:).
fra828 wrote:I would have said it's a striped sunday blouse hanging up in second photo.
Thank you!
Angela Woodford wrote: Hair straightening... mid 60's the way to do it was by ironing one's long hair! ... I wonder what method Sophie employed? Hot hairdryer and a circular brush I should think! She must have spent ages on it before you guys arrived, Lonely Wolf?
To borrow a word from the photos topic, it's an enchanting thought!
Alexandra Thrift wrote: Firstly ...is it Julie or Sophie that married a "yank" and moved to California ( nice ! ).
You can see the beautiful cedar tree in the photo which was within the school grounds....it has been saved but is now situated in the middle / or at the side of the new road ( it hasn't moved but the road has ! ) If you compare that photo with now...the situation of the cedar tree shows the old/new perspective.
P.S. What were YOU wearing that day Lonely_Wolf ?
It's Sophie who's in CA (with twin teenage daughters :rolleyes:).

Thanks for telling about the cedar, I'm well impressed that you picked up on that. I'll make a point of looking for it when I next visit.

As to what I was wearing, nothing interesting I'm afraid, I feel the brothers have set the bar rather high. Probably jeans and an ordinary shirt as per my avatar, or today for that matter, with a short fitted brown cord jacket (there must be a technical term for that style - you know, the classic denim jacket shape).

You were in luck with the brothers, since I can't think of any other friends who dressed so nattily. I didn't know little bro very well, but big bro had (has!) an artistic temperament, rather dreamy but with a flamboyant streak, well suited to that sort of dressing up. I should think he and the multi-talented Toni made an interesting couple.

I'm hoping to reunite with big bro soon and shall pass on everybody's compliments on the outfits.
3s visitor 1975
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

mvgrogan wrote:
I remember the guy on the roof (?5s) opposite my cubie when I was getting changed after games!.. didn't notice him there until it was too late! :lol:

Mx
Of course you didn't !!! :roll:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
lonely_wolf
LE (Little Erasmus)

Little Dorm from the Outside

Post by lonely_wolf »

Little Dorm in 3s, 12 July 2008

"Time is simultaneous, an intricately structured jewel that humans insist on viewing one edge at a time, when the whole design is visible in every facet" - Doctor Manhattan, from Watchmen by Alan Moore
3s visitor 1975
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

A very immaculate photo Lonely Wolf.

Looking again at your pic by the gymnasium/swimming pool I can see the back gate , as it was, on the right of the photo. The gates seem to be open.

If I am right about the cedar ( and I think I am )...then the demolishing of that whole area to build the new road, means that Hertford East Station appears much further from the ex-school than it used to be ( which it is, because I saw Mary Lynch off at the Station on the second Museum Reunion ).