30 Years On!

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

dinahcat
Deputy Grecian

Re: 30 Years On!

Post by dinahcat »

It's still a boys' school.
Oh dear,I feel a whole load of nonsense coming my way but the girls had to move and if it wasn't for the Charter they would have been long gone.I like to think that Edward thought so well of his brilliant , stronger and cleverer sister that he saw that the girls were just as likely to succeed and so decreed they must fight on. :evil:
Last edited by dinahcat on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

No dear, it is a mixed school and always has been albeit sometimes formerly on two sites! The girls are not an optional extra! (By the way Edward VI had two older sisters.)
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:And apparently it was enough to silence any responses!!
Oh, alright then :lol:

Now that I have been back to Hertford and laid many ghosts to rest (not sure if I got them all) I will be more than happy to attend get-togethers at Horsham (although the likelihood of me being in the UK at the right time is not good), as my sole purpose will be to meet people.

The reunion at Hertford last year was immensely cathartic for me. Not sure how effective it would have been if I had gone alone, or if I had just rushed in, around the site, and out again. My first walk through the gates, on the Friday afternoon, was very difficult. In fact, I stood outside the walls wondering whether or not I was going to be able to make the final steps: then rushed through in a flurry of held breath and some tears. Going back in on Saturday was a breeze :)

So, to any Old Hertford Blues who are still dealing with, er, issues from their time within the hallowed walls; I highly recommend a weekend at Hertford with some like minded people.

Anyone else?

xxxxxxxxxxx
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Fjgrogan wrote:No dear, it is a mixed school and always has been albeit sometimes formerly on two sites! The girls are not an optional extra! (By the way Edward VI had two older sisters.)
I am with this one, and Caroline.

Half sisters surely.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I stand corrected, Mary and Elizabeth were indeed half sisters.

Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

There was talk of the CHA arranging a Hertford reunion somewhere this year, possibly in London, but I haven't heard any more about it. Though with neither a CHA Manager or Administrator at present I doubt that anything non-essential is being done.

I'd like to meet up with my contemporaries wherever or however it takes to get them together. Horsham is fine with me, but if that isn't a sufficient pull to attract Hertford OGs (which apparently it isn't - or at least, not many) then somewhere else. The reunions based around Hertford Museum last year were brilliant.

However, I think it's a bit sad that the current generation of Horsham girls probably have no clue about their predecessors' past at Hertford. I know I keep going on about it, but I was touched and thrilled to find the mons' boards in the current girls' houses, but I bet they're fairly meaningless to the current pupils. I think I suggested before that maybe a loose association of each of our 8 Hertford houses with one of the 8 current Horsham girls' houses might provide a more personal link, both for the current girls in terms of their heritage, and for OGs in terms of some sort of focus in the current school. At least if we Hertford OGs go along to OBs' day at Horsham, we somehow keep Hertford alive in the minds of those who only knew Horsham. If we only have reunions elsewhere, then we become even more the forgotten school to everyone else.

Next year is the 25th anniversary of the closing of Hertford. Surely that's an opportunity for some sort of Hertford-themed reunion, preferably at Horsham where we can make our presence felt!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Good idea Jo.

There are several here who 'bridge the gap' too.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

I think this is a really good idea and would do all I could to get there!

I very much like Jo's thoughts about establishing a link between Hertford and Horsham girls so that they have more of a sense of their own historical roots.

Personally I would prefer to look at photos of Hertford how it really was when we were there than to go back to it as it is now.
mvgrogan
Deputy Grecian

Post by mvgrogan »

Jo wrote:Next year is the 25th anniversary of the closing of Hertford.

:lol:
Maria Vatanen nee Grogan 6's (6:12) 81-85 BaB (BaB48) 85-87
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Yes, Maria, no idea what that smiley means, but I would guess 'shock, horror!'? Doesn't time fly when you are enjoying yourself, as your grandmother would have said!

Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

mvgrogan wrote:
Jo wrote:Next year is the 25th anniversary of the closing of Hertford.
I agree!

2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

And apparently it was enough to silence any responses!!
Actually, no, Hon, not yet, but some of us are a little Ent Like!!!

Maybe as per many suggestions re 25 years aniversaire, we shoud set something up for 2010 and allow everyone time to plan and attend - is Caroline/Icomefromalanddownunder the furthest travelling Old Oestrogen Blue? :)
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

gma wrote:
And apparently it was enough to silence any responses!!
Actually, no, Hon, not yet, but some of us are a little Ent Like!!!

Maybe as per many suggestions re 25 years aniversaire, we shoud set something up for 2010 and allow everyone time to plan and attend - is Caroline/Icomefromalanddownunder the furthest travelling Old Oestrogen Blue? :)

Not sure, but have been feeling very positive, not to mention excited, about this prospect.

My mother will be 80 in July 2010, so I have plans to be in Sussex then (entirely dependent on our team meeting our KPIs, and the company as a whole surviving the economic crisis and coughing up our performance bonuses in March).

Fingers, toes and eyes crossed in The Great Southern Land :)

xxx