Hertford Museum : Follow up visit 2 August

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Hertford Museum : Follow up visit 2 August

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Mary.. I think Caroline would say that in terms of Hertford related stuff she would rather contribute to your Yahoo forum, since it has not been invaded by Google. Anyone googling e.g. 'Tim Tams' will be led to the discussion on the CH Forum, which indicates that the Forum is open to anyone and everyone who happens to stumble in to our discussions.
If she is right (and I suspect she is...) I would agree with her. For that reason I have been more circumspect in my contributions to this Forum, in the last couple of months.
Kerren

Yes, absolutely.

Plus, I did think about sending some photographs to CHA but didn't get around to it. I have written a little something for Old Blue - photographs being resent today John :wink: - the forum gets two mentions: one at the beginning and one at the end.

I will scan Liz and Jude's photographs more closely and post any of mine that don't duplicate theirs, although I doubt that many of mine fit that bill.

Most of mine were taken on Friday afternoon, and I am ashamed to say that my camera didn't leave its case during the dinner, so would love to see everyone else's.

xx
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Well the 30 year Hertford reunion from Twos seems to coming along nicely! Still looking for Frances Maxwell and Googie Morrison but others all located and having a great time catching up and suffering massive 'acid-flashbacks'!! Are we/you/anyone organising anything for Aug 2nd or are we all hitting museum, school, photos then lunch? Promise photos!

Google is a pain but it is 'marketing' this forum on a much wider basis so please please don't stop - it took forever to be in the frame of mind to revisit my youth (oh my god, how old does that sound????) and is very resassuring to drop in and out of the threads!! :D
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Nothing formal planned for 2 August. I shall get there late morning and stay til the end of the afternoon, hopefully getting to see more detail in the exhibition than I did in April. I do know of quite a lot of people who are intending on being there on 2 August, so plan on going off for lunch whenever and wherever there is a group of people to join!
Little dog is coming too - and we are booked into the Travelodge at Hatfield for the Saturday night. If there is anyone remaining in the area that evening who would like to meet up for supper, I'd be happy with that?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

gma wrote:Google is a pain but it is 'marketing' this forum on a much wider basis so please please don't stop - it took forever to be in the frame of mind to revisit my youth (oh my god, how old does that sound????) and is very resassuring to drop in and out of the threads!! :D
I agree. I'm really grateful for the way the forum has allowed me to reconnect with old friends, and make new ones, all at my own pace.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
gillieg
2nd Former

Post by gillieg »

Ditto. Last weekend, discovered that Sara Tucker, much missed over the past xx years, now lives 20 miles away -both of us in Wild West Wales. She and her lovely hubby called in on Sunday Morning. Incidentally we've lived that close for a number of years without knowing it. Hopefully we will be coming on 2nd August. :D Long live this site!
hillary
Deputy Grecian

Post by hillary »

I live quite close to Hertford and was planning to come to this re-visit, but unfortunately now can't make it.
By was of a replacement visit, I'm planning to make another trip one weekday between the end of term and august 9th, so would be happy to meet up with anyone who is also planning to visit separately during that time.
Hillary
8s 1966-73
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Well, the search is done, have found Sara T (as was) Gill G (as was) Jan T ("") and Teresa B (""), Frances M ("") does not wish to be found which is a shame, Jane T ("") does not seem to want to come out and play and Googie M ("") appears to have been abducted by aliens which is a huge shame!

I don't know about anyone else but we're planning on meeting in Hertford around 11-ish, going to the museum :shock: , having fifty fits and retiring to the Snug for lunch and a catch up for the rest of the afternoon! :wine: .

If any one wants to join us, details for reservations or anything else are:

The Snug Bar Hertford, 32 - 36 Railway Street, Hertford SG14 1BA
Tel : 01992 587674
Email : amandaclifford@thesnugbar.co.uk

See you all then hopefully (actually that's not true, as all of you would neither fit into Hertford nor more especially the Snug!), so see some of you then hopefully! :D

Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I am planning to go to Hertford again on 2nd August - I enjoyed it so much last time I just can't keep away. I expect to arrive at the Museum sometime between 11 and 12, and would love to meet up with others for lunch. Are the daleks still there?
Mary
CH 1965-1972
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Well done, Gerrie!
I intend to be there around 11.00, too... but I don't think I'll join you in the Snug. I am sure I wouldn't fit..and in any case there are lots of other people I know who are coming... including Elizabeth Tucker, her OGA presentee at Horsham at the moment, and her presentee's mum (who is by definition an Old Girl....Carong on this Forum). I can forsee cafes and pubs in Hertford being swamped with people at lunchtime! Hope everyone recognises everyone they need to meet... there won't be any badges or anything formal.
Looking forward to meeting up with OG's who I have not previously met!
Oh Dear Mary.. I have a feeling that the Daleks are gorn. But it will be so good to see you again!!! Are you staying over? A couple of us are in the Travelodge at Hatfield for Saturday night (with Willow, of course.....and I hope that someone will help her reprise her April walk on the Meads! I have a feeling that Jo has offered, but there may be others interested)
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Hi Kerren

I thought it would be better to form another lunch group on the day, rather than try to fit 100 people into the cosy-sounding snug. But perhaps we should book somewhere?

I tried to find somewhere to stay in Hertford itself, but everywhere was fully booked, so I decided to go home on Saturday night. I'm going on the train (planning to catch the 18.09 from Hertford East). I hope there will be other OG's on the train, I don't want to have to sing Auld Lang Syne all by myself, it wouldn't be fair on the other passengers.

The final leg of the journey, from Paddington, will be a New Experience for me, as I have booked a First Class ticket! It was only £2.50 more than the Standard fare, and I am confident that I can drink enough free coffee to make up the difference.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Wow, Mary.. what a day of experiences it will be for you! £2.50 would buy one and a bit coffees in the Staff Club at my University.
I should be very happy to join you for lunch if you don't have a better offer... I shall probably be with Caron, Elizabeth Tucker and Georgia as well as Sally O'Reilly and possibly Ruth Deech. Booking is not a bad idea. Last time I went with a group to the Salisbury Arms - should I make a provisional booking for say 6-7? Or maybe more?

And re badges, I have found that I have the remains of the plastic box containing blue/gold lapel ribbons. Maybe 30 or so left.... so perhaps I will give one to each identifiable OG (or group of OG's) who I meet at the Museum on 2 August. What does everyone think?
Kerren Simmonds
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Sadly I won't be able to be there after our trip south for the funeral I can't get away again so soon.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

I thought it would be better to form another lunch group on the day, rather than try to fit 100 people into the cosy-sounding snug. But perhaps we should book somewhere?
If it helps, I'm told by the manager of the snug that they can seat 60-80 in the main area inside and another 50-60 outside so it may not be as snug as it sounds!!

Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
hillary
Deputy Grecian

Post by hillary »

Sigh, it sounds like another fun day.

Have a good time everyone - perhaps you could have a competition to see how many you can fit in the snug .... (unless you want to go back there another day, of course).
Hillary
8s 1966-73
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

And re badges, I have found that I have the remains of the plastic box containing blue/gold lapel ribbons. Maybe 30 or so left.... so perhaps I will give one to each identifiable OG (or group of OG's) who I meet at the Museum on 2 August. What does everyone think?
Just had the most horrendous 'first reunion horrors' moment when I realised that the girls I'm going to meet on Saturday are no longer wearing grey flannel pleated pinafores, or candy striped cotton dresses with hideous sandals, they won't look the same or sound the same, oh my god will I even recognise them now?? :?

Bizarre! Oh well, onwards and upwards, see you tomorrow with our without lables or pins; my slice of 2's are all looking forward to it!! :wine:

Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.