Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

scatty
2nd Former

Post by scatty »

Hi my name is Kathy Jackson (nee Atterby) known as Scatty Atty on account of being scatterbrained. I have just found this site and am delighted! I am off to Hertford for the reunion thing at the museum. I was at Hertford from 1972 - 1980, and I was in 8's, I repeated the first year and my peers in my year at eights were, Nicola Davidson (who had a sister Lindsey in 1's and my sister Julie Atterby was also in 1's - they were in the year below.) Denise Garner she had a sister Jenny in 7's, Beverley Clune, Alison Whitehead (left at end of 4th form), and Sarah Ramsden who left at the end of the 3rd year and went to Rodean. I was great friends with Bev and also a girl called Clare Peterken in the year below - together we got into all sorts of scrapes in the 5th year and 6th years! We are still in touch and in fact are all meeting up in Hertford at the reunion.Reading all this stuff has bought back SO many memories things deeply buried and forgotton but Ihate the way I can't remember stuff or peoples names! I remember the dread I had of Mrs Newbold! I once stayed up til 1am on the last night before a needlework project had to be in I sat in the loos by the sink sewing away - must have been in the third form as I was in the dorm. I remember Ashbuorne and hotroom tests. I also remember cutting thick slices of bread and sneaking it up to the wardrobe room to "iron" it into toast! It tasted great. Mrs Stanbury was the Chemistry teacher when I was there by the way. Sorry if this is all a bit disjointed but I'm flitting about thinking about all the stuff I just read! Would love to hear from any of my contempories
Bye for now
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Re: New Member

Post by Mid A 15 »

Welcome to the forum!

I'm actually an Horsham OB but a good few of the regular Hertford posters are already on their way to the reunion.

So if there is no Hertford response it's nothing personal they're just not online!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Welcome Scatty! I was there before you and can't go to Hertford this weekend as I have to go to Blackpool instead. As you can see from my signature, I was in 6s - and by the time you started I was living in Ghana, married and teaching Maths there!

This forum is great as all of us who were at school before the merger have learnt a lot about our contemporaries at 'the other place' - and others have learnt about Hertford. There are a few who moved from Hertford to Horsham. As you say it is a mine of information - but we also laugh together!

Read and enjoy!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Welcome Scatty, from a VERY old Hertford OB. This forum has given me a chance to get a lot of gripes out of my system, and is always good for a laugh.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Welcome to the Forum from 3 Hertford OB's who have begun the reunion early with the aid of some fine English wine. See you very soon, we're off to play Mallet's Mallet.

Mary, Caroline and Munch
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

scatty wrote:Nicola Davidson (who had a sister Lindsey in 1's)
Was her surname Davidson or Davison? I had Becca Davison in my year (1981-1988) and I am sure she had at least 2 older sisters who had been at Hertford.
scatty wrote: I remember the dread I had of Mrs Newbold!
So do I! :lol:

Welcome to the forum by the way!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Hi and welcome Kathy. I remember your name but I can't place a face, I'm afraid. Were you in 8's about the same time as Becky Cuddeford, or was she ahead of you?

If you were scared of Mrs Newbold, you would have been terrified of SWMNBN (ok then, Miss Richards), her predecessor, the one who still strikes fear and dread into anyone who started before about 1970 :cry: I always quite liked Mrs N, but then by the time she arrived I was beyond the 3rd year and didn't have to have needlework lessons any more (though like everyone else, still had to hand in a piece of work every term).

Look forward to seeing you (and everyone else) on Saturday
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Hello and welcome Kathy.

I left 2's as you started in 8's and was under SWMNBN and did exactly the same as you, I can even remember it was my pulled thread work and I must have done 50% of the work on a table runner the night before it was due in. why oh why hadn't a I done a bit at a time? Oh yes, I was reading a book.

see you tomorrow.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
hillary
Deputy Grecian

Post by hillary »

Hi Kathy, I was in my last year when you joined - I remember your name and all the others.

The forum is bringing back all those memories that had disappeared - I remember late nights for needlework too. I still have a lot of my needlework (thanks to my parents) - I just don't know what to do with it! (especially the mini dress and the crocheted handerchief bag!).

See you tomorrow
Hillary
8s 1966-73