Blue Skirts into Blue Stockings

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Blue Skirts into Blue Stockings

Post by Angela Woodford »

Mary, the book has arrived safely! I'll give you £1.00 for the postage when I see you, if that's all right.

My very first question that I ever asked the Forum Hertford Girls was "What did we call the loos outside the cloakroom?" I open BSIBS and here is the answer from way back in 1916. The Ah-Lahs!

When I moved from 1's into 6's, I received a sort of "house list" from my new schoolma, Mary Verge. This consisted of the names of everyone in the House, 1-37, with a pithy little analysis of their personality. (You could also find this sort of list in the backs of many a book in the Infirmary.) The house list also icluded useful House slang and I remember now that Mary spelt this term for those chilly loos "ala's".

Katharine, you are right, the illustrations are enchanting.

I shall love the book. Thanks again Mary!

Love from Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Blue Skirts into Blue Stockings

Post by Katharine »

Following discussions on here, I am just re-reading this book. I have only just started, and have been surprised by a couple of things.

She says that they called the BAs, Black Apes, I don't remember this - did it live on in 3s? Incidentally, was the BA the only part of the uniform to last from Miss Robertson until the merger?

The lovely picture opposite the Introduction shows girls playing croquet on the field, shows all four houses with fire escape stairs. In my time it was just 1s & 5s that had the stairs, the senior houses had ladders. Were fire escapes removed or was it artistic licence? (Later Edit - on reading further she does describe ladders - relooking at the picture I think the ladders are coloured too heavily!)
Angela Woodford wrote:My very first question that I ever asked the Forum Hertford Girls was "What did we call the loos outside the cloakroom?" I open BSIBS and here is the answer from way back in 1916. The Ah-Lahs!

When I moved from 1's into 6's, I received a sort of "house list" from my new schoolma, Mary Verge. This consisted of the names of everyone in the House, 1-37, with a pithy little analysis of their personality. (You could also find this sort of list in the backs of many a book in the Infirmary.) The house list also icluded useful House slang and I remember now that Mary spelt this term for those chilly loos "ala's".
How useful that list must have been, Munch. I was the Hag's first new girl and she had decreed that 6s didn't need schoolmas. Cecelia who had the bed next to me (Lower Dorm, 7s side she next to the field me next then an UV big girl! - the things one can remember!!) took it on herself to teach me the Carmen but otherwise it was sink or swim. I wonder what Mary had written for 14? (or indeed any of my year). I think Mary was our first Number 37 - we had great debates in the house as to where to put her peg in the Cloakroom. One idea was she should move it every year by taking one of the Study pegs but I think we decided against that.
Last edited by Katharine on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I don't remember calling anyone a Black Ape! I must say i enjoyed the book, and to think that Miss Bruce only retired a year before I left, and Mr Comely the year before that.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Katharine wrote: I was the Hag's first new girl
I'm sure it's elsewhere on the forum but who was the Hag? Is it the nasty "Milly" Munch refers to?

Confused formerly of Horsham :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Katharine wrote: I was the Hag's first new girl
I'm sure it's elsewhere on the forum but who was the Hag? Is it the nasty "Milly" Munch refers to?

Confused formerly of Horsham :wink:
Sorry but we are also confused by some of your staff nicknames! The Hag was Miss Jenkins who was Housemistress of 6s for almost all my time at the school. Munch experienced her 'loving' care for a short time. Milly was the Housemistress of 1s, a Junior House almost all the time I was there, and thus the first Housemistress for almost half of all new entrants.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Was heavily traumatised by the House Mistress in 1's during my time - she had a speech impediment and used to say 'ssshhh' instead of 'ess-ing' - can't even remember her name but when we all used to sit with our backs to the table before meals I faced a girl called Sally Ripley who used to 'knit snot' with the most sublime expression on her face and reduce everyone in line of sight to stitches - her other mealtime party game was to stand up when everyone else sat down and her Housemistress used to do her very best to call out down the table "Sit down, Sally, sit down!" Strange how s**t is such a funny word when you're 10!!
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

There is a copy of this book on ebay, under the title "Recollections of Christ's Hospital". Priced at £24 or you can make an offer.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

My copy of this book appears to have 'gone walkabout'. Does any kind person have a copy that I might borrow; I promise to take good care of it. £24 on e-bay is far too steep for me - half my week's pension in fact!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

gma wrote:Was heavily traumatised by the House Mistress in 1's during my time - she had a speech impediment and used to say 'ssshhh' instead of 'ess-ing' - can't even remember her name but when we all used to sit with our backs to the table before meals I faced a girl called Sally Ripley who used to 'knit snot' with the most sublime expression on her face and reduce everyone in line of sight to stitches - her other mealtime party game was to stand up when everyone else sat down and her Housemistress used to do her very best to call out down the table "Sit down, Sally, sit down!" Strange how s**t is such a funny word when you're 10!!

This was Mrs.Bond - she had big goggly eyes and two dresses, one green, one red, both with a shiny belt.