(No longer proposed) Gathering, Hertford 5/4/08

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Re: (No longer proposed) Gathering, Hertford 5/4/08

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I'm bringing 25 copies of each of the two books.....Away from the Bombs and the Boys is £5 and Half to Remember is £1. I'll also have the CHOGA badges again, should anyone want to buy one for £1.
Only three weeks to go.....how time has flown!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Kerren, if you have any copies of Away from the Bombs and the Boys left, would you reserve one for me, please? I've tried to contact Wendy to no effect.

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I'm picking up the 25 copies next (Easter) weekend, Midget. And I am due thereafer to be posting one to Katharine who will send me £5 plus whatever is the cost of the postage (she will see how much it cost me, when she gets the package). If you would like me to do the same for you, I am happy to do that.
If your current address is not in Who's Blue (1997), then send me a PM?
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Kerren

Please could you put my name on a copy of each of the books if there will be any spare, especially the Bombs one - I've already read the Half one as you very kindly entrusted your copy to me last year. I'm currently reading Blue Skirts which I was lucky enough to purchase via Amazon - it's a signed copy too so I'm thrilled to bits with it!!

Does anyone have any idea of how near we will be able to park in relation to the Museum? If I have a dog with me (it's a possibility - maybe even two ?- just to make life easier for DH left with the remaining six/five and the newest litter of eleven) I presume she would have to stay in the car.

She would be quite happy to do that but I would not like to not be able to check on her easily or ideally have the car within view.

I have my rendezvous instructions from Caroline and have exchanged a test text with Munch, all very exciting now!!!
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

I don't think you'll be able to park within sight of the museum. See the attached map of Hertford:
http://tinyurl.com/3yhz9v

I've been recommending people use the car park on Gascoyne Way (near the magistrates' court), although I believe the one beside the shopping centre is also long stay. The one off St Andrews St, which I parked in by mistake a couple of weeks ago, is short stay (max 4 hours) only. I'd say Bull Plain, where the museum is, is about equidistant from each of them, although Gascoyne Way is nearest for CH. Or maybe the shopping centre might be fractionally nearer for the museum.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Hello Liz
My dog is coming too....but I am (fortunately..) a disabled blue badge holder so I can park more-or-less anywhere. I am aiming to be as right outside the museum as I can be (albeit having to move the car every three hours). There are parking spaces in Bull Plain, but as its so close to the shopping centre/market, I guess they fill up quickly on a Saturday.The open air market is still there!
Hertford is not a big place, however, so you ought to be able to park within five minutes walking distance..but you will be moving round the town anyway- and maybe we could park in Bluecoats! The square is a car park (though not a public car park, but I guess you can get in....) and the offices are all closed on a Saturday...
I am coming to Baldock on the Friday (coming up after work so probably won't get there much before 9.30 depending on the traffic. If I am going to be later than 10 I might have to phone one of you (Caroline has given me your mobile numbers!) to 'book me in' in absentia.
So you can buy any of my 'goods' on Friday if you wish!
Diana and I are making up the lapel ribbons tomorrow - what with Caroline nearly here now, it's all becoming Very Real!
See you soon!
Kerren Simmonds
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Kerren

What do you think the parking situation will be like on the Friday afternoon?

I'm hoping to meet up with others at the school gates at 2.30pm, what with the drive down and all that I'll get really flustered if it's so busy I can't get nearby....

I've booked two nights at Baldock so some of us may be able to double up for the Saturday trip into Hertford?

Does your dog like other dogs? Mine are quiet and friendly and used to others/travelling/strange places/sitting in the car but I'm still undecided how much fun it could be for a dog.....weather permitting I'd love to revisit the Meads for Walkies.

Love
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Hey Liz!

Thinking about dogs and The Meads - I've recorded somewhere in a letter home that, taken on a walk there by Miss Cordery, I got to hold the lead of her dog Bobby! I'd never "walked" a dog before!

Have you got Caroline's temporary mobile number yet?

Our reunion is getting closer - so looking forward to!

Love from Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Liz - I've PM'd you re dogs and stuff!
Re parking close by... don't forget Tesco's!!
I have had an e mail from Caroline but no phone number yet.
Kerren Simmonds
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Kerren

Can't get the pm thing to co-operate but suffice to say I look forward to meeting you AND Willow and I'm sure a quick scamper on the Meads could be on the agenda for both our doggy pals next weekend. And if it makes Munch happy we'll make sure she gets to hold both their leads!!!

Love
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Hello Liz
Willow looks forward to it!
And I am sure that Angela is up to holding lots of leads....
See you NEXT WEEK!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Oh well, no high heels for me then! Scampering on the Meads with two leads!

It's quite true; after that brief experience with Bobby, I have never been in charge of a dog again.

How did we indicate "squatting" for teatime in House? Did we cross the knives and forks in the appropriate place after the squatting invitation had been confirmed? The Cafe Rouge won't have anticipated this.... D'you want to squat, Liz? :lol: :lol:

Love from Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Angela Woodford wrote:How did we indicate "squatting" for teatime in House? Did we cross the knives and forks in the appropriate place after the squatting invitation had been confirmed?
Could you sit where you liked at tea? Good heavens how quickly things changed! My first year I sat at the very end of the junior table and had to 'invite' the Study and the Hag to come to tea. The next year I was one place up, but on the other side of the table, then..... I could go through the years, never choosing where to sit, never changing companions (except when date of gaining BA suddenly changed seniority).
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

[quote="Angela Woodford"] D'you want to squat, Liz?

Gosh Munch I'd be honoured!!! What was "Vanes" or "Vaines" or maybe "Fains"...was that the opposite request?

A sort of thanks, but no thanks thing...
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I think it was 'fains' - and usually expressed as 'fains I', meaning 'not me'.
Kerren Simmonds