Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Flights are booked, hire car organised, and Santa returned my PC in working condition - woohoo.

Mary Mc would prefer a weekday. Liz suggests the first weekend in April.

I can make 3 - 5 April.

Anyone else?

xx
MKM
Grecian

Re: Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Post by MKM »

It's just Saturday 5th that is awkward for me. (A previous engagement ringing bells in Oxford). I'd prefer another day, but will still come if 5th is the best day for the majority.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Is anyone (including those Forum Members who have been peeking but not responding) still a paid up member of Friends Reunited?

Cheers

Caroline
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I am. Do you want me to float the idea - if so, let me have some words...?
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Girls

Taking a break from the impossible mounds of Quality Street to see how the plans are shaping up!

It's too far from York for me to willingly do as a day trip, so I'm considering booking a Travelodge room somewhere nearby for the night before, or after, or both.....open to suggestions and would be fun to share a room maybe? And if others do the same we could have a Midnight Feast???

All the Christmas Quality Streets will have gone by then but I could always re-stock.

Where would be the nearest T'lodge, is there something just off the A1 north side of Hertford?
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

kerrensimmonds wrote:I am. Do you want me to float the idea - if so, let me have some words...?
Kerren

Hi Kerren

Thank you for saving me $15 :-).

I would particularly like to contact Diana Garnham, Pam Jones, Valerie Wharton, Elaine Appleby and Marcia Bridges who all contacted me when I joined FR - unfortunately I lost contact details when Numico dispensed with my services and didn't follow up on their promise to download all information from my work PC. Please don't feel obliged to do this - I probably would have resubscribed last night if I hadn't been too lazy to fetch my purse/credit card from the car.

Is everyone happy with a general notice of intent to meet being posted on FR?

Very general wording along the lines of date to be finalised shortly, but will be end of the first week in April. Perhaps we could boost interest in the forum by giving the bait that further information is available here?

xx
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Liz Jay wrote:Hi Girls

Taking a break from the impossible mounds of Quality Street to see how the plans are shaping up!

I resorted to some Belgian couverture last night (groan).

It's too far from York for me to willingly do as a day trip, so I'm considering booking a Travelodge room somewhere nearby for the night before, or after, or both.....open to suggestions and would be fun to share a room maybe? And if others do the same we could have a Midnight Feast???

Sounds great :D I have checked out a few places on line, but have no idea what would be considered a reasonable price. If interested parties give me an idea of budget I will come up with some suggestions. Also need to know who will have cars, and who will need lifts from Hertford East.

Where would be the nearest T'lodge, is there something just off the A1 north side of Hertford?
xx
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

The nearest Travelodge is Hatfield - about 7.5 miles from Hertford. There is also a Premier Inn about the same distance away - again in Hatfield, I think.

I am just about to put a message up on Friends Reunited, and have e mailed Elaine (Appleby).

Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

There also appears to be one near Biggleswade (Baldock?) which doesn't seem to be far away in a northerly direction up the A1.
I think I'll go on the Travelodge website and see whether there are any special offers.
Will get back to you all!

Love
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Thank you very much Kerren.

I will check out the hotels and post prices.

xx
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

If you book on line (soon) both the above Travelodges have family rooms available at £29 per night for the 5th April. The Baldock one has them currently reduced to £19 for Friday 4th. So 2 nights for £48 doesn't sound bad at all - of course it's only a bedroom with tea and coffee but we would eat out I guess?

I would be quite happy to share if anyone wants to keep costs down! Will be driving down so use of a car for lifts etc.

Let me know what you think.

Love
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Rohan
2nd Former

Post by Rohan »

Hi

I'm a perennial lurker to this forum - and would definitely be interested in this reunion. I can make any of the dates. Having failed to make any of the Horsham dates and missed Miss West's memorial service I will try harder to make this one actually happen for me.

Thanks a lot for suggesting it.

Rohan Bolton (1's and 3's 1959-1968)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

NB you can get four people to a room at a Travelodge - so at £19/£29 a night divided by four (if you are prepared to share) that makes it even cheaper.......
Travelodges usually have a Little Chef or a Burger King or suchlike attached, and if you are lucky they are close to a village with a nice pub which might do good evening meals.
PS - Hi Rohan! Great to see you on the Forum! Maybe meet you again in April?
Kerren Simmonds
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Kerren

I use Travelodges a lot going round the dog shows and yes the family rooms are said to sleep four but I would say you would need to be VERY good friends. A double bed and two side-by-side singles, more like mummy, daddy and two kids.

They are ideal for two people and a couple of Bearded Collies though!

Love
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I have to admit that the most I have slept with (in separate beds) in a Travelodge room is/are two others plus me. But neither of the others were Bearded Collies (or other canines for that matter). However, talking of dogs, I don't know what the Travelodge policy is on dogs (for those of you who might want to come to this Reunion but are fearful of leaving pooch behind). BUT for our Reunion a couple of years ago, I took my dog into the room I shared with another Old Blue for the night after. at the Billingshurst Travelodge. She (the dog) spent the night in her basket - and no-one ever asked any questions or asked for any more money (despit the fact that every time she heard someone in the corridor outside, she had to go to the bedroom door and 'woof'!).
Kerren Simmonds