Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Proposed gathering at Hertford Museum - 4/5 April 08

Post by englishangel »

Rev Walker was also the Rector of St John the Baptist at Great Amwell. Not sure if we ever walked there but some of the choir sang at the patronal festival (24th June). We went in Jean Taverner's Dormobile and going round a corner the sliding door flew open and a very surprised Pauline Arnold (8's) slid straight off the bench seat and ended up sitting on the grass verge. Fortunately unhurt.

Did something similar myself as a student nurse whilst sitting on the lap of a lovely policeman* after a night out for someone's birthday. Too 'relaxed' to hurt myself, I rolled.

*Danny Gilhooly (sigh) I wonder what happened to him?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

I do hope you all enjoy yourselves! Not long now!
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:Rev Walker was also the Rector of St John the Baptist at Great Amwell. Not sure if we ever walked there but some of the choir sang at the patronal festival (24th June). We went in Jean Taverner's Dormobile and going round a corner the sliding door flew open and a very surprised Pauline Arnold (8's) slid straight off the bench seat and ended up sitting on the grass verge. Fortunately unhurt.

Did something similar myself as a student nurse whilst sitting on the lap of a lovely policeman* after a night out for someone's birthday. Too 'relaxed' to hurt myself, I rolled.

*Danny Gilhooly (sigh) I wonder what happened to him?
Hmmmm ! And not a word about truncheon-searching ! :axe:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Have a great time at Hertford. I shall be with you in spirit.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

midget wrote:Have a great time at Hertford. I shall be with you in spirit.
and I hope they toast you in real spirits on achieving your 1000'th three posts ago

:drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers: :drinkers:

Cong rats; I'm always late with these things
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

To All Attendees at Reunion!

Am very sorry that I will not now be able to visit tomorrow and catch up - I am involved with a children's charity that has over 400 runners in London Marathon next weekend and was always going to stuggle with the window and achieving a 'drive-by' but logistics will just not let me take that time out. So for all attending have a completely fab time, so glad that I found the forum as I have enjoyed reading all the posts over the past few weeks. Have a great visit and enjoy the hangovers of which I'm fairly certain there are going to be a few, if there haven't been already! :drinkers:

To anyone running the London good luck and we'll see you on the finishing straight on the Mall !

To anyone who wants to run next year then talk to me!! Charity is callled Victa Children and we buy IT equipment for visually impaired children so that they can keep up with school and college work and support computerand learning camps both in UK as well as in Europe. We also have places in New York, Berlin and Chicago. Website is http://www.victa.org.uk if you're interested!

Regards

Gerrie 2:34 70-75

P.s. Site Managers - Can we have a wine drinker smiley please - glass or bottle we don't mind!!! Thnx!
Last edited by gma on Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Have a great time at Hertford this weekend, girlies (and boylies who may be in tow).
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Fate is trying to make it as difficult as possible for me to attend - have had persistent car problems recently, culminating in it nearly giving up the ghost this week.

Got it booked into the garage for today - report at lunchtime was "yep, we can fix it this afternoon, no problem", followed by "err, we've fixed it and there's another problem...oh, and the part won't be in until Monday".

Bullied them into lending me a tiny little Citroen C1 courtesy car so with luck and a following wind I should make it.

See you all tomorrow, DV (well, figuratively speaking anyway :lol: )
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Fingers crossed for you Jo. Why oh Why do things like this always coincide with what we really want to do? (Yes, I could also be thinking about myself as I want to go to Hertford but I had already committed myself to something else this weekend.)
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I believe a great time was had by all, I know I had one. Kerren reckoned about 100 turned up altogether with 19 of us staying for dinner. I met some old and new friends, laid a few ghosts and can't wait to do it again.

Thanks a lot to Caroline and Kerren.

Caroline of course had the longest trip but Munch came from Devon and Judy from Glasgow, and of course we all looked exactly the same as we did at 18, well not exactly but recognisably so, and if I didn't recognise people (Liz you know who you are) put it down to my senior moments rather than that you have changed a lot.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Well, I can report that Jo did get there, and they had laid up for 31 for dinner (we were tightly squashed onto two long tables in a tapering triangle at the 'back end' of Cafe Rouge Hertford. Sadly, one had to drop out at the last minute.. she had been poorly during the day and felt that she needed to get off home).
This time there was a real mix of generations - the common denominator being access to the internet. But the great inciter was Caroline.. all the way from Oz, who (via this wonderful thing called the internet) managed to manage a great day for everyone. Thank you again Caroline!
To those who were not there, you should know that it really was a great day, on top of which as the 30 or so people were over-generous with their cash in the basket for their dinner and drinks, we can afford to send a donation of over £30 to the Hertford Museum.
FINALLY
Someone lost a camera. I have it. If you would like to PM me with one small piece of information about it so that I am convinced that it is yours... I will be very happy to post it back to you by Recorded Delivery!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
hillary
Deputy Grecian

Post by hillary »

Thank-you so much Caroline and Kerren.

I admit that I sat in my car for 10 minutes, trying to decide whether to go straight back home, or to join in. I'm really glad I stayed. I had a good day out, got rid of some ghosts, found some new ones (apologies for making people sew their pockets up, I feel awful about that and any other punishments dished out) and found out the reason for those strange 'naked' slabs of plain pastry that we got in school dinners. Not to mention chatting to so many people who are all the same, yet different, as adults.
Hillary
8s 1966-73
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

It was great that you came, Hillary!
Good to meet up with you. Hope to see you again at the next one!
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

hillary wrote:Thank-you so much Caroline and Kerren.

and found out the reason for those strange 'naked' slabs of plain pastry that we got in school dinners. Not to mention chatting to so many people who are all the same, yet different, as adults.
Hi Hillary

Can I join you in thanking Kerren and Caroline too (even though Caroline is still on her travels right now and unlikely to read this for a while) - such a fascinating weekend and one to remember for us all, a landmark for many it seems.

And DO PLEASE tell about the pastry. That particular conversation passed me by.....though I was party to many!!!! surprised my tonsils could stand the pace.......!

Did anyone else get the "Force Field" effect on entering the main gates? Stopped me in my tracks for a moment, I must have looked like the First Man On The Moon, wide eyed and cautious. But no monsters jumped out so it was OK..

Looking forward to reading others' impressions of the weekend and comparing notes.

Love
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Those who stayed at the Travelodge Baldock may enjoy this cartoon: http://www.xkcd.com/407/

Thank you everyone for such a brilliant weekend. What's next?
Mary
CH 1965-1972