Mr Stiff's Cambridge outings

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Vonny wrote:
michael scuffil wrote:
Vonny wrote:I remember going. I've got some photos of the day somewhere.

Heavens, was Stiff still alive in the 1980s? Did the custom continue until Hertford was abandoned?
I guess he must have been IF it was still him that funded the trips :? I can't remember which year I was in when I went but it was sometime in the first 3 years I was at CH so would have been 1982/3 or 4 :?
As to whether the tradition continued until 1985 - I don't know. CJ was a couple of years behind me so maybe she knows.
I have absolutely no idea. I don't think it was an occasion when I was at Hertford but could be wrong. I think I went up once as a senior because I remember seeing Alex Shepherd in her rooms and have a vague recollection of going somewhere in the summer in civvies possibly when I was younger. Might have been one of Andrew Husband's Oxbridge trips?
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Here we are, well not me because I was taking the picture.

Judy Furnival, Lesley Smith
Phyllis Chuang
Mike Hiley, Mike Smith, Amanda McIlwain

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Thanks for the photo.

I've been racking my brains, but can't remember going on one of these outings. Did the whole year group go? I know we were a big year group, because we had three forms (A, Alpha and B) which was unusual. Mostly there were just two forms per year. So perhaps not everyone went.

I remember a year group being taken out by a couple (possibly elderly) who had lost a daughter when she was the same age as group they took out (if you see what I mean). Possibly we went to Hampton Court, on a hot day. Or maybe that was another occasion. We all had tea, in a tea shop, with cream cakes.

Back to Cambridge, Mr Mulholland took a group of 6th formers for some sort of Maths talk. In my first year at Cambridge they came to my room in Newnham for coffee and biscuits.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

The five of us were in LIVa as you were and I think it may have just been that form who went, I really can't remember that much.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Lovely pic!
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think Mike Smith looks quite contemporary and I was going to say that Mike Hiley looks like a young fogey, then realised that there is a picture somewhere of my son looking very similar, except he has long hair.

Had another thought, in my album it says May but we are still in winter uniform so it must have been early May.

Perhaps someone who knows Cambridge can tell me where this was taken, becasue I have a feeling we were somewhere we should not have been.

Also does anyone remember these two guys, who must have left in 1965/6 or thereabouts
Last edited by englishangel on Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:Had another thought, in my album it says May but we are still in winter uniform so it must have been early May.
Didn't we have short sleeved cotton blouses which we wore for a short time in spring and autumn between the summer dresses and the thicker long sleeved blouses?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Not in 1967 we didn't. Summer Sunday blouses were short sleeved. Wwinter blouses were a blue and white sort-of check which is what we were wearing here.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:Had another thought, in my album it says May but we are still in winter uniform so it must have been early May.
Didn't we have short sleeved cotton blouses which we wore for a short time in spring and autumn between the summer dresses and the thicker long sleeved blouses?
yes, Katharine, we did - blouses with very wide sleeves, if I remember correctly - very fine blue stripes, like ticking ?
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

MKM wrote: I know we were a big year group, because we had three forms (A, Alpha and B) ...
How very CH, whether Horsham or Hertford. Anywhere else would have had A, B and C.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

englishangel wrote:The five of us were in LIVa as you were and I think it may have just been that form who went, I really can't remember that much.
I was in LIV alpha, so maybe I didn't go.
englishangel wrote: Perhaps someone who knows Cambridge can tell me where this was taken, becasue I have a feeling we were somewhere we should not have been.
Is it the fountain in Trinity Great Court? It looks like these:
http://www.camplus.co.uk/photo_sharing_ ... m=39.pos_1
http://www.cambridge2000.com/cambridge2 ... 283022.jpg
Last edited by MKM on Fri Nov 23, 2007 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
MKM wrote: I know we were a big year group, because we had three forms (A, Alpha and B) ...
How very CH, whether Horsham or Hertford. Anywhere else would have had A, B and C.
This year group entered the school when the majority of my year had left in July. Our three forms had been A1, A2 & B. We always assumed we were a large year group as we were born in the 'bulge year' of births after WW2. I can't imagine there was a particularly large year group born in 1940 so I am not sure how there were enough places for us.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

I knew Mike Smith very well. He was Senior Grecian 1963/64 (the year after I left), and I took over his room in a house-share in Cambridge with two other OBs in 1968.

I think he lectures in history somewhere, but I don't know where.

I don't think Mike Hiley was an OB. He must have been a friend of Mike Smith's from the college.
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

englishangel wrote:Perhaps someone who knows Cambridge can tell me where this was taken, becasue I have a feeling we were somewhere we should not have been.

Also does anyone remember these two guys, who must have left in 1965/6 or thereabouts
The pic is taken by the fountain in Trinity Great Court. I think you were allowed to be there, tho' maybe not climbing on it. (As for the guys, see my post above.)
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

It's funny to see you all discussing the intricacies of your uniform. But where are your hats?

And the girls I had, the year before, the first thing they did when they got into my room for tea, was let their hair down, apparently forbidden in public.