Mr Stiff's Cambridge outings

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Re: Mr Stiff's Cambridge outings

Post by michael scuffil »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I think Mr Stiff probably was a Governor, and maybe even also a 'Benefactor'....
I remember Peta Hutchins,very well. As a junior I had a 'crack' on her and we became sort of friends (her family lived in a village outside Bognor, not far from us in Arundel, and as they did not have a car and we did, my parents sometimes brought hers up to Hertford for Long Saturdays or whatever, and we sometimes saw each other in the holidays. My adolescent 5-year diary makes excrutiatingly embarassing reading on the subject!). Peta was also friendly with (the celebrated) John Snow who was at that time a Housey boy - the son of the vicar of Bognor. In the end my mother decided she did not approve of my friendship with Peta so when she left CH to go to York University (I think....to read English), we lost touch. I would love to know what happened to her.
John Snow was a slightly older contemporary of mine, also in Thornton B. Even at school he was a cricket prodigy. Peta H. must have been a bit intellectual for him. (What sort of bad influence was she supposed to be on you, kerren?)

But who was Peta's lookalike?
Th.B. 27 1955-63
EvilAkela
2nd Former

Post by EvilAkela »

I remember going on Mr Stiff's Cambridge trip. Did we go in the second year? I would have gone in '79, but I am sure that Mr Stiff died before I left Hertford, so if Vonny remembers going she was probably the last year to go.
I can't remember much about the trip, although I remember being walked through Cambridge back to someone's room for tea.
Heather Barber (Parsons)
1's 1977-1982
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

I can't remember 100% if we went in the 1st or 2nd year :? I need to dig my photos out - from wherever they may be :lol:

All I really remember is going on a punt and then going back to a flat for tea - funnily enough I can still picture the young lad who was our host! :shock:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41