Christ's Hospital Exhibition at Hertford Museum

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

museumcurator
2nd Former

Christ's Hospital Exhibition at Hertford Museum

Post by museumcurator »

Dear All,
Hertford Museum is planning a temporary exhibition all about CH at Hertford and it will open on Wednesday 19th March 2008 and will run until the end of the summer (date to be confirmed). We are currently looking for people's memories - either written or if you are local we can tape you, photographs to scan, documents and objects relating to the school.

The exhibition will be fully accessible and will be free. We have already started collecting information.

If you can help by contributing your memories, photographs or objects - please email me: helen@hertfordmuseum.org.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards
Helen Gurney at Hertford Museum
jhopgood
Button Grecian

Post by jhopgood »

Title wanted

Christ's Hospital Exhibition at Hertford Museum (name not yet thought up!)
Wednesday 19th March - Saturday 9th August 2008

A ground floor temporary exhibition with lots of photographs, memories (on listening posts)and objects all about the Christ's Hospital school in
Hertford and the stories of the staff and pupils. A must see for any ex CH girls!

The museum is open from Tuesday to Saturday from 10am - 5pm and admission is free.

CH girls are asked for a suitable title for the exhibition. It has to be something short and snappy, with the "snap" line 'An exhibition about Christ's Hospital School, Hertford' underneath.

Now is your chance to show your creativity.

I will be putting something in the next Old Blue but we need a title.

John Hopgood
OB Editor
Barnes B 25 (59 - 66)
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Forgotten Blues?

We felt forgotten compared to the Boys' school, perhaps the Hertford school is becoming forgotten in the town, and maybe a sly allusion to those baggy knickers we used to wear.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Nice one
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

YES
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

MKM wrote:Forgotten Blues?

We felt forgotten compared to the Boys' school, perhaps the Hertford school is becoming forgotten in the town, and maybe a sly allusion to those baggy knickers we used to wear.
I vote for that: great idea Mary.

xx
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi

I would LOVE to go to the Forgotten Blues exhibition, before I forget!

Wonder what are the chances of meeting up with any old pals?
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Liz Jay wrote:Hi

I would LOVE to go to the Forgotten Blues exhibition, before I forget!

Wonder what are the chances of meeting up with any old pals?

Hi Liz

I would love to go too. I'm still waiting to hear whether I am to be funded for the conference in Beaune - last message was 'HOW MUCH??????????? GET REAL.'

So am expecting that, if I get anything at all, it won't enable me to visit Gloucestershire and Hampshire and Devon, and a rendezvous in Hertford would be very appealling.

Hope that you and all members (2 and 4 legged) are well. Maggie (greyhound) had a back leg amputated a few weeks ago. Possibility of the fracture being caused by a tumour, but nothing showed up on the histo sections. She is doing very well, has regained her smile, and we are optimistic that, even if there was a primary tumour, there are no secondaries. Bank balance still in ICU :roll:

xx
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I'd like to meet up too.

Has anyone sent any memories, photos etc to the museum? My reaction was that I didn't know where to start.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I'm sending my admission papers. Gems like 'Gas respirators should be brought in regulation type cardboard boxes as issued, and fitted with adequate covers for use when the respirators have to be carried about'. The strange thing is that I have no recollection of what happened to the wretched things at Hertford.
Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

MKM wrote:I'd like to meet up too.

Has anyone sent any memories, photos etc to the museum? My reaction was that I didn't know where to start.

I haven't sent anything because, if I understood correctly, they were hoping for originals (saying that they would be returned).

Will try to remember to pack up a few things and bring them into Uni for scanning and emailing.

I have entrance exam and school exam papers, plus the photos that are available on the forum.

xx
museumcurator
2nd Former

Hertford Museum exhibition

Post by museumcurator »

Dear All

With regards to the exhibition at the museum, you can send things to the museum which we could either use in the display (runs until the 9th of August) or things like photographs which we will happily scan and send back. If you are sending photographs, please let us know who everyone is on them and give us your full address.

I do like the name 'Forgotten Blues' but am happy to receive any other titles you might like to use.

Perhaps someone (!?) could organise a Hertford reunion whilst the exhibition is on? The Cowbridge Hall is quite large and has recently been updated and would be a good place for a get together. Unfortunately, the museum could not organise this kind of thing, but it would be great to have CH girls pop into the museum after reminiscing at a reunion...

Just a thought.

I taped Miss Tucker the other day for the exhibition. She has also lent a large selection of photographs.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Sorry I have not sent anything yet - either of my own or of Miss West. Was horrendously busy at work until I had to stop for an operation on Tuesday - and now I am incapacitated!
Great idea re a reunion while the exhibition is running - suggest the CHA organises it?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Sorry I have not sent anything yet - either of my own or of Miss West. Was horrendously busy at work until I had to stop for an operation on Tuesday - and now I am incapacitated!
Great idea re a reunion while the exhibition is running - suggest the CHA organises it?
Sorry to read about the need for an op; hope you are recovering quickly.

Reading your last five words I have to assume that it was to remove the tongue from your cheek :lol: :lol: :lol:
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Sorry I have not sent anything yet - either of my own or of Miss West. Was horrendously busy at work until I had to stop for an operation on Tuesday - and now I am incapacitated!
Get well soon Kerren.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72