Fanny

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Fanny

Post by Angela Woodford »

Goodness! Mrs Winstone was always called "Fanny" in our day. How strange that a nickname should change. Barbara may remember when she gets back from her holiday - to think that Fanny was married to a dance band leader! Amazing. She was always immaculate, upright and seemed strict in every regard, from the viewpoint of someone in another House. Infinitely more controlling than our dear old Pot.

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
cj
Button Grecian

Fanny

Post by cj »

:offtopic:

(I was wondering what on earth you were going to write with a thread title like that, especially after wanting to know what we all wear in bed. I think the strain of selling your house might be affecting you. Just wait 'til JR sees it. You'll hear the apoplectic fit all the way from Surrey to Kent. Please continue.)
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And to our generation in 2's she was definitely 'Flossie'...
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Re: Fanny

Post by Ajarn Philip »

cj wrote::offtopic:

(I was wondering what on earth you were going to write with a thread title like that, especially after wanting to know what we all wear in bed. I think the strain of selling your house might be affecting you. Just wait 'til JR sees it. You'll hear the apoplectic fit all the way from Surrey to Kent. Please continue.)
cj, there's a huge laughing emotithingywotsit that I can't transfer here (I don't mean the chuckle), but that was a cracker of a post!

But Surrey to Kent? That's not very far at all...
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Sad to say, I can't remember whether she was Fanny or Flossie. I had no idea about the dancing though - or the Mr Winstone.

When I was a student, I had a job one summer working on the till in Tesco, Ware. Mrs Winstone came to my till by sheer chance - she could hardly believe her eyes - this was not what a CH education should lead to!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Fanny

Perhaps the strain of everything is getting to me. But then it's so interesting to know why people wear what they wear whenever... :)

I could swear we called her "Fanny". Oh dear. What is JR going to say?

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Definitiely Fanny, I don't know where this thread has come from but there are other threads about her on the Hertford Forum.

(I have been away for 2 days and am now being thrown off the computer by daughter)
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Funny that because I am absolutely certain that my year called her 'Flossie' - I even recall a conversation about her very recently, with someone with whom I shared the study in the UVI.. (and in fact she had stayed down from the year above). Mystery!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Munch,

I can't stand this any longer ............................... please, pretty please,

where on earth did this thread originate?

xxxxxxxxxxx

PS: any more news from potential buyers (with or sans teeth?) I have been busily checking out wineries in Devon :D
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

as you can see from the time I now have uninterupted access so I can join in.

Fanny was indeed exactly as Munch remembers her, small, smart and very controlling. I was 5'4" at 11 when I wen tot hertford and she barely came up to my chin but she scared the bejabers out of me. However like Pot she was also a very heavy smoker and walking past her room sometimes the clouds would billow out.

I didn't know about the dance thing either though it wouldn't surprise me.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

I too would like to echo CJ's thoughts on the thread title!
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Fanny

Er.. um... that's what we called her... I do hope I haven't offended the sensibilities of Forum members? :oops:

Actually I can imagine Fanny as a high kicking hoofer, petite and glamorous. I never understood why she wasn't Head Housemistress - by far the most organised and meticulous of them all.

Munch
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Fanny

Post by Katharine »

Angela Woodford wrote:Actually I can imagine Fanny as a high kicking hoofer, petite and glamorous. I never understood why she wasn't Head Housemistress - by far the most organised and meticulous of them all.
Didn't that go in strict seniority? It was Mabel MacTier (7s), but I thought Fanny was next and banged the gavel when Mabel was away. There was at least one occasion when the Hag did it, and we were all so surprised but it was calculated that she had been at CH longer than any other house Mistress in Dining Hall that day.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

fingernails!

When I saw Sarah Titcombe a few months ago, she revealed that Fanny had a particular hatred of her.

( Why? Why? Nobody could be as nice and kind as Sarah T!)

Fanny sent Sarah T to DR for having fingernails which were "too long". DR was nonplussed. The disciplinary session came to nothing. It seemed a bit strange. It shows how the Housemistresses became a bit peculiar, but you'd think Fanny was rather more worldly than the others -

Munch
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I am fascinated by this thread. Miss Mactier(sp?) was there in my time, but if "Fanny" was the longest serving by 1959 there must have been a massive change in House staff in the intervening 7 years. I am sure that when I left Mrs Cotham was in 2s, Miss Norris in 3s, Miss Lomas in 6s. Did they all leave at once?

Maggie
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.