Fanny

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I think Miss Lomas left just before I went there, Maggie. I seem to remember people saying our Hag was very new, I may have been the first new girl she ever had. (Didn't give her a soft spot for me though!)

Don't know what happened to the others you name, I recognise the name Miss Norris for 3s. They had Mrs Weil who was old 6s, so she may have been disappointed not to get her own old house, but presumably there wasn't a vacancy.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

..............Reminds me of years ago, studying the 'saucy' post-cards on the front at Brighton.

The large fat woman walking along the beach amongst the crowds, dressed in a too small swim-suit, shouting......

"Can anyone see my little fanny ?"

Incidently - I'm sure you are all aware it has a completely different meaning in the States !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

See Jenny's letter referring to Mrs. W as 'Flossie'!
At supper last Saturday, I asked Joanna (Yates - who had been in the Study with me, in 2's), if Mrs. W had had any nicknames. She thought for a moment (she's a very pensive lady...) and then said 'Well, yes. There were two. She was more commonly known as 'Flossie' but some people sometimes referred to her as 'Fanny''.
So there we are, Munch. We were both right!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Mrs. W told my mother that she was aware of both nicknames, and that whilst she did not mind "Flossie " ( was it a reference to her hair?), she loathed " Fanny"...
( Ma & Mrs. W got on very well, perchance because they both loathed DR...)
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."