A Question of Queenie

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Jo
Button Grecian

Re: A Question of Queenie

Post by Jo »

Will do, Frances, but I will find a Mercer topic or start a new one. It's not such a rare name as Queenie Blench but I have some basic details from her obit which will help to filter down the possibilities. Her death is too recent to be on the public indexes yet - they still only go up to 2005.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I was never aware that the terrifying Miss Blench was called Queenie, maybe knowing that would have lessened the terror.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

midget wrote:I was never aware that the terrifying Miss Blench was called Queenie, maybe knowing that would have lessened the terror.
Did she have a nickname when you knew her?
Mary
CH 1965-1972
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I don't think we would have dared!
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

I think we just assumed that the initial Q must mean Queenie - not to her face of course. What amused me in later years was hearing Mercer's reminiscences of various staff and so often just called by a straight surname - she could be scathing, as could Mary Thompson, particularly about Miss Morrison.
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I remember Alex (Thrift) reminiscing that Merce would tell of her father and herself conversing in Latin over breakfast.

Come on , Frances - tell! Tell why Merce and Chemi-T didn't like Miss Morrison! Merce always signed herself "FWMercer" in tiny, tiny handwriting.

Did Merce and Chemi-T like Queenie? Or what about DR herself?

Tell!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Angela - perhaps I will send you a PM, but not right now; I am frantically busy at the moment. Also I have a number of audio cassettes from Mercer, which I would like to play through to refresh my memory. She and I used to exchange tapes rather than letters at one point. I started off sending long chatty letters and getting a few cryptic lines on the back of a postcard in reply, which was so frustrating, but once we started using tapes she opened up quite a lot. It was a nuisance at times that when you are recording a tape you cannot just go back and insert afterthoughts, but we got quite good at it with practice. That was all before I finally managed to get over to Kerry to visit her. The first few times I went on the National Express coach from Victoria to Killarney overnight, which took a total door-to-door of 22 hours. Later I used Ryanair from Stansted to Kerry - the worst bit of that was getting to Stansted! however this 'strand' is supposed to be devoted to QMB, not Mercer or Mary (sorry, I cannot think of her as Chemi-T, because I never met her until I went to Kerry, long after her CH days).

Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Angela Woodford wrote:I remember Alex (Thrift) reminiscing that Merce would tell of her father and herself conversing in Latin over breakfast.

Come on , Frances - tell! Tell why Merce and Chemi-T didn't like Miss Morrison! Merce always signed herself "FWMercer" in tiny, tiny handwriting.

Did Merce and Chemi-T like Queenie? Or what about DR herself?

Tell!
Miss Morrison does seem to divide people! I know you were fond of her Angela, whilst others don't remember her so kindly. I was interested that Merce and Chemi-T didn't like her, especially given that Brenda Griffith-Williams said on here recently that she liked her. So even the staff didn't agree.

I suppose it's natural - most people are not universally liked or disliked, but Miss Morrison's name does crop up in this context (along with DR of course). Maybe it's because she was a larger than life character - you either liked or didn't like her, but you couldn't ignore her!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Re FWMercer: the W stood for Wykeham, which was a name she simply chose to adopt because she admired the original Wykeham - can't remember who he was!! Her pension book definitely said MEF Mercer, which stood for Margaret Elizabeth Frances.

AKAP
Grecian

Post by AKAP »

I think (but am not certain) that Wykeham was an ancient Bishop somehow conected with Winchester Cathedral. Old boys from Winchester School are definitely Wykehamists.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

William of Wykeham, Bishop.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

midget wrote:William of Wykeham, Bishop.

I thought that was a pub !! :drinkers: :wine: :drinkers:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I've got a flashback to the LV.

There is Queenie, chalk in hand, writing on the blackboard, tapping a tiny foot excitedly, and saying

"To be - about to be!

Do you understand?

To be about to be!"

Please, Old Girl Latin scholars, refresh my memory! To which Latin construction was she referring? :roll:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

Um.... its a future infinitive..... is it futurus esse? Was there a construction that went "I say myself to be about to be"? Odd how these things lodge in the brain.
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

MaryB wrote:Um.... its a future infinitive..... is it futurus esse? Was there a construction that went "I say myself to be about to be"? Odd how these things lodge in the brain.
Is there such a thing? I thought the whole point about an infinitive was that it was...well...infinite - timeless/tenseless. Not that I have any better suggestions :lol:
Jo
5.7, 1967-75