A House Celebration?

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

A House Celebration?

Post by Katharine »

Today on Woman's Hour they were talking about sophistictated jellies - one was even described as a tribute to Bacchus.

This reminded me of a jelly that was very, very different.

I think it was my first term that our dear housemistress won £500 on her premium bonds. She told us she was going to give us a wondrous party to celebrate. She described it in all its glory, with music and dancing and food to enjoy. Time passed - she got herself a car - more time passed and we thought she had forgotten our party.

However she had not forgotten, eventually she decided the time had come to share her good fortune. She borrowed one of the large roasting pans from the kitchens, bought a mixed pack of jellies and some tinned fruit. She put the fruit in the bottom of the pan and made up one jelly after another until the pan was full - thus it was a conglomeration of orange, strawberry, raspberry etc all together. We each had a large serving of this on the designated day - and that was our party. She was very put out that we did not fall over ourselves to thank her for her generosity.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I don't remember even hearing about that! Are you talking about Miss Jenkins and 6's?
Bloomin 'eck!
Sloppy jelly and all. And what sort of car did she get for that sort of money, in the 1960's?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I don't remember even hearing about that! Are you talking about Miss Jenkins and 6's?
Bloomin 'eck!
Sloppy jelly and all. And what sort of car did she get for that sort of money, in the 1960's?
AFAIR the original Mini, new, had a list price of about £420.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I don't remember even hearing about that! Are you talking about Miss Jenkins and 6's?
Bloomin 'eck!
Yes Kerren, it was the dear old Hag, nobody else. I doubt if anyone outside 6s at the time knew about it - except the new car. We weren't exactly proud of our Wardmistress. It would have been while you and Clare were still in 5s so you would not have heard from her.

Thinking of cars, where did the staff park/keep theirs? Were there some garages around the back wall behind the kitchens? John confirms the car prices - I THINK it may have been a Morris Minor, but I have neer been good at recognising cars and as for remembering one from nearly 50 years ago!!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

The Hag's Car

Post by Angela Woodford »

It's a thought! Where could they have parked their cars? Although as far as the Hag was concerned, a broomstick could have fitted into her sitting room cupboard....

No! No! Mean of me! :twisted:

It would have had to be a very little car - the Hag was tiny. Perhaps she had modified pedals? I'm remembering her legs!

How mean about the glorious party, Katharine. That does fit in well with the various memories Old Girls have dredged up about the Hag. Music! Dancing! Food! Hmm....

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""