House Marks?

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:Although it's funny to think that Sister would have responded with "you silly child..." I do think that any sign of physical abuse would have resulted in immediate investigation. I've been utterly horrified by the accounts from Horsham.

I don't remember anything worse than apple-pie or salt beds, although I believe that Barbara has a few bad memories?

And then Mary V got into a brush-and-comb bag fight! :lol:

Something that I found miserable in House was being excluded at times from a particular clique. I was the only "A" form member in 6's in my year, and was disliked for it. I can recall a note being passed up the dining table to a girl who was maybe a leetle bit plump. The note read

" You are FAT, GREEDY, GUTSY. Is it wise to eat so much?"

Everybody read the note on the way to its victim. There was lots of giggling. The eventual recipient was mortified, blushed crimson and didn't speak for the rest of the meal.

Munch
That was with my best friend.

I once asked my then 13 year old son how he had met this best friend (who seemed to live in our house) and he said "Oh, we had a fight."
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Angela Woodford wrote: I'm utterly grateful that there was no custom of attacking each others' nipples at Hertford. Of all the bullying/punishment systems I've ever heard anywhere this seems to me to be utterly cruel and bizarre! Somewhere, there's an account of one boy using pliers on another's nipples! I can't imagine it, I just can't!

What would Sister have said in the after-breakfast queue up t'Imf when confronted with the victim?

Munch
At Horsham, not a lot; normally they wouldn't get permission to go to the sicker if they were conscious. It was all part of the system to inure boys to pain.

Dr Scott did get a bit upset that I had been allowed to bleed for 48 hours in the sicker - all my fault until I explained that it was the fault of the nurses in not allowing me to take the prescribed remedial action. (I was and remain a right little bleeder - it's all to do with lack of blood factors in the family)
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

Thought I'd choose this thread to dive into as a newbie. Jo Sidebottom, 5's 1967-75 (like wot it says in my sig). For my sins, I had 8 years at Hertford because I arrived as a wide-eyed innocent 10 year old but then repeated a year in the Lower IV/2nd year.

I remember orders, disorder and conducts. I got my first dis for hiding under the stairs in the science block basement when we were supposed to be outside doing games or something. The only male teacher at the time, a maths teacher whom we nicknamed Monty, found me and a couple of pals, and ordered us "out into the light where I can see you". He was a bit creepy but harmless, I think.

Conducts were few and far between. I don't remember house marks, but I do remember that the House Points Cup, for which I think only junior forms were eligible, was known as the Goody Goody Cup, and it was an embarrassment to win it. Tragically, when I was a senior, the then juniors actually had started to regard it as something of an honour. Perverts. :wink:

Now, must hop over to the needlework thread...... I have *such* horrible memories of that woman !!!
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Jo wrote:The only male teacher at the time, a maths teacher whom we nicknamed Monty, found me and a couple of pals, and ordered us "out into the light where I can see you". He was a bit creepy but harmless, I think.

Conducts were few and far between. I don't remember house marks, but I do remember that the House Points Cup, for which I think only junior forms were eligible, was known as the Goody Goody Cup, and it was an embarrassment to win it. Tragically, when I was a senior, the then juniors actually had started to regard it as something of an honour. Perverts. :wink:
Dear old Monty! Some of us remember him with affection :wink: and he was famous for telling classes how they were far advanced in intelligence compared with the rest of the population. I never had him for Maths, but he was kind of creepy with his alarmingly prolific eyebrows and that wheezy hyperventilation habit... but I believe rather a sweet shy man. Liz Plummer remembers his joy when she'd got something right "you've really got it, my dear!!" (Have I got it right, Liz?)

You can't think how wonderful it is that you've restored the Goody Goody Cup to my memory! Of course! I knew there was more attached to that House Points system - clever you Jo. DR initially called this minor punishment sustem "House Marks" but we called them "Points".

I wonder if 6's juniors won that cup one year? I've a dim memory of several silver cups on the lockers at the end of the dayroom, but can't remember what they were for!

Love, Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Jo wrote:Thought I'd choose this thread to dive into as a newbie. Jo Sidebottom, 5's 1967-75 (like wot it says in my sig). For my sins, I had 8 years at Hertford because I arrived as a wide-eyed innocent 10 year old but then repeated a year in the Lower IV/2nd year.

I remember orders, disorder and conducts. I got my first dis for hiding under the stairs in the science block basement when we were supposed to be outside doing games or something. The only male teacher at the time, a maths teacher whom we nicknamed Monty, found me and a couple of pals, and ordered us "out into the light where I can see you". He was a bit creepy but harmless, I think.

Now, must hop over to the needlework thread...... I have *such* horrible memories of that woman !!!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Out into the light!

Jo wrote:Thought I'd choose this thread to dive into as a newbie. Jo Sidebottom, 5's 1967-75 (like wot it says in my sig). For my sins, I had 8 years at Hertford because I arrived as a wide-eyed innocent 10 year old but then repeated a year in the Lower IV/2nd year.

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Angela Woodford wrote:I wonder if 6's juniors won that cup one year? I've a dim memory of several silver cups on the lockers at the end of the dayroom, but can't remember what they were for!
There were cups and trophies for all sorts of things and we usually had some, Munch. It would be unlikely that any house didn't have at least one! If you were on dayroom duty as a junior you had to clean the bl**dy things, some were very fiddly. When it came to the final where you might lose it, you definitely had mixed feelings :oops: was I a traitor to my house?:oops:

I think hockey had a shield rather than a cup, and, of coure, needlework had the infamous bookends from Queen Vic's piano.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Out into the light!

Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

winning prizes

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Munch

Mr Mulholland was one of the few vaguely encouraging teachers that I remember encountering at CH though Mrs Betterton was always kind. I was good at English luckily but hopeless at Maths and still am (brings me out in a sweat trying to do my year end figures for the business!)

I think most of the staff seemed to be of the view that a combination of sarcasm and peer pressure would keep us learning fast and it did seem to work for other people.

Being very average at most things and hopeless at others, I can't remember winning any prizes except when I dressed Susan Elvidge as The Boy King for a fancy dress competition and she won it by a mile! However of course I was able to bask in a certain amount of reflected glory every time Sixes came top in anything!

Funnily enough now I have bred and own a team of show-winning dogs and have so many rosettes and trophies that sometimes I don't know where to put them, I have come round to the very British realisation that it's not the winning that counts, more the taking part. And at the end of the day, you are remembered for what you ARE and not for what you DID.

Early in the day for such musings. Sorry to have been not very active on the list. Those who know about our dear dog Phoebe will be sad to hear I think the end is very close for her - we treasure each day.

Love
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

winning prizes

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Munch

Mr Mulholland was one of the few vaguely encouraging teachers that I remember encountering at CH though Mrs Betterton was always kind. I was good at English luckily but hopeless at Maths and still am (brings me out in a sweat trying to do my year end figures for the business!)

I think most of the staff seemed to be of the view that a combination of sarcasm and peer pressure would keep us learning fast and it did seem to work for other people.

Being very average at most things and hopeless at others, I can't remember winning any prizes except when I dressed Susan Elvidge as The Boy King for a fancy dress competition and she won it by a mile! However of course I was able to bask in a certain amount of reflected glory every time Sixes came top in anything!

Funnily enough now I have bred and own a team of show-winning dogs and have so many rosettes and trophies that sometimes I don't know where to put them, I have come round to the very British realisation that it's not the winning that counts, more the taking part. And at the end of the day, you are remembered for what you ARE and not for what you DID.

Early in the day for such musings. Sorry to have been not very active on the list. Those who know about our dear dog Phoebe will be sad to hear I think the end is very close for her - we treasure each day.

Love
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

winning prizes

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Munch

Love
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

winning prizes

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Munch

Being very average at most things and hopeless at others, I can't remember winning any prizes except when I dressed Susan Elvidge as The Boy King for a fancy dress competotion and she won it by a mile! However of course I was able to bask in a certain amount of reflected glory every time Sixes came top in anything!

Love
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

dear Liz - so sorry to hear about Phoebe. I know how much you love her. A very special dog.

With you in spirit!

Munch
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: winning prizes

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Liz Jay wrote:and not for what you DID.

Love
Oh Liz, it was so lovely to see a post from you, but I'm so sorry that Phoebe is getting ready to leave. We had Tower, our older gelding, euthanased a couple of weeks ago, and I have the most beautiful message from Mary (P, not V, and nothing to do with CH, so apologies for going off topic) which I am happy to forward to you if and when you are ready.

Huge hugs for you and Phoebe.

Much love

Caroline