D.R. West's Memorial Service

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Thank you. You are absolutely right. This is the opportunity for the Foundation of Christ's Hospital to acknowledge Miss West's 30-year contribution as its Headmistress at Hertford. It is not an 'OG-fest', although it is to be expected that a large number of the attendees will be people who were at Hertford with her.
IMHO we are fortunate
a) that the HM agreed that there should be a Memorial Service at all, and is allowing the School's resources to be used for the purpose (although he himself will have left by the time the service takes place). This in itself honours Miss West - the School does not have the time or resources to host Memorial Services very often;
b) that the person who was Clerk in Miss West's final year (and who had worked with her previously as Deputy Clerk) has agreed to give the Address;
c) that several of the current staff have agreed to be involved in supporting this Service, out of respect for Miss West's reputation - and I hope that some if not all of the new Head, Treasurer and Clerk will be able to attend. A number of former Officers of the Foundation are expected to be there, too;
d) that a number of Hertford OB's, through me, have been invited to be involved in shaping the service. With one exception (only) ALL the recommendations have been taken on board. I am sorry that Angela was not one of those OBs with whom I consulted while the process was rolling. Had I thought to do so, maybe she would not be complaining now. However, I had to draw the line somewhere!;
e) that here we have a great opportunity to bring Hertford, and specifically DRW's contribution to the Foundation, into the consciousness of the School of today. We are specifically inviting current children to attend the service and I have no problem at all with the Senior Grecian - again showing honour to Miss West - reading one of the lessons. Knowing Miss West, as I did in her latter years, I think that she would be pleased about that. (The HM, Senior Grecian and Second Monitor attended her funeral and she would have been pleased about that, as well. Her family said they were honoured to see them there.)

So, I'm sorry Angela, but from my perspective you are somewhat 'off target' in complaining that this is not going to be a Hertford-only event.

Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

"Having to draw the line somewhere"

Post by Angela Woodford »

Dear Kerren

Naturally, as one of DR's no-hopers, I would not have expected to have been consulted about her Memorial Service. But I feel that "having to draw the line somewhere" is a hurtful thing to say. Just where did the planners draw the line? Obviously way above the likes of me! I feel really insulted by this.

Of course I don't mean that attendance at the Memorial Service should be exclusively Hertford. But I do feel that Hertford Girls and Staff should be pre-eminent in it's presentation. I don't feel I'm "off target", and I'm furious that you should say so.

I feel too angry to say more, but now I feel I shall not be attending. "Drawing the line somewhere" indeed!

Angela Woodford
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Sorry Angela - I did not mean to offend you or exclude you (or anyone) in any direct way. If you need reassurance that I did consult widely, I could PM you the names of all the Hertford Old Blues I talked to - if you feel you require that information? If I raided my past e mails and text messages I could possibly also tell you who was on the planning group, how often it met, and what was discussed on each occasion. No-one was 'deliberately' excluded and no conscious 'line' was drawn anywhere. I just felt grateful that they were even asking for OB help and support, let alone taking so much of it on board. Perhaps I should have opened a discussion thread on this Forum over every question that arose, and sought guidance from all members before feeding back to the planning group? But its unlikely that we would ever have achieved a consensus on any issue and in any case I didn't think to do that - so if you find such an omission offensive, I apologise for that too.

I reiterate however that the service is now finalised and the service booklet is going to print, so we can't change anything. Despite the flak on this discussion thread, I am confident that it will be a fitting, dignified and very musical 'Hertford-friendly' occasion, which will do Miss West proud.

(With the exception of one lesson being read by the Senior Grecian, the address being given by a former Officer, and the organ being played by the organist there IS a heavy OB emphasis (it looks as if there will be as many OBs in the choir, as Blues)).

I am afraid I still think that your views of what Miss West's Memorial Service should be or achieve are not quite the same as mine (or others?) - but I should regret it if you felt that those differences meant that you considered yourself unable to attend.
Kerren Simmonds
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Dear Kerren

You bet that the expression "having to draw the line somewhere" brings back all the anger I feel at DR's exclusivity principles.

Quite right!

What do the opinions of us boring non talented Old Girls matter?

Got to draw the line somewhere! Count me out on behalf of all whose abilities she ignored. "Off target". That about sums it up.

Angela Woodford
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Who's Significant?

This is relevant - not only to the DR years and we know what that means....)

Who is important?

The women who have brought up families and coped with difficult husbands?

The women who have achieved in their careers despite being told by DR they would account for nothing?

The women who have achieved despite Miss West?

No wonder they are absent at the Memorial Service.

Not surprising the "nobodies" might at last have voiced their opinions? Not consulted, as per Kerren's opinions!

Angela Woodford
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

kerrensimmonds wrote:Sorry Angela - I did not mean to offend you or exclude you (or anyone) in any direct way. If you need reassurance that I did consult widely, I could PM you the names of all the Hertford Old Blues I talked to - if you feel you require that information? If I raided my past e mails and text messages I could possibly also tell you who was on the planning group, how often it met, and what was discussed on each occasion. No-one was 'deliberately' excluded

Of course not!

Perhaps I should have opened a discussion thread on this Forum over every question that arose, and sought guidance from all members before feeding back to the planning group? But its unlikely that we would ever have achieved a consensus on any issue and in any case I didn't think to do that - so if you find such an omission offensive, I apologise for that too.

Perhaps Old Girls might have had an opinion

I reiterate however that the service is now finalised and the service booklet is going to print, so we can't change anything. Despite the flak on this discussion thread, I am confident that it will be a fitting, dignified and very musical 'Hertford-friendly' occasion, which will do Miss West proud.

(With the exception of one lesson being read by the Senior Grecian, the address being given by a former Officer, and the organ being played by the organist there IS a heavy OB emphasis (it looks as if there will be as many OBs in the choir, as Blues)).

I am afraid I still think that your views of what Miss West's Memorial Service should be or achieve are not quite the same as mine (or others?) - but I should regret it if you felt that those differences meant that you considered yourself unable to attend.
Count me out. The "drawing the line" expression has been enough for me. Just what DR said about any idea I ever had.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Angela Woodford wrote:
kerrensimmonds wrote:Sorry Angela - I did not mean to offend you or exclude you (or anyone) in any direct way. If you need reassurance that I did consult widely, I could PM you the names of all the Hertford Old Blues I talked to - if you feel you require that information? If I raided my past e mails and text messages I could possibly also tell you who was on the planning group, how often it met, and what was discussed on each occasion. No-one was 'deliberately' excluded

Of course not!

Perhaps I should have opened a discussion thread on this Forum over every question that arose, and sought guidance from all members before feeding back to the planning group? But its unlikely that we would ever have achieved a consensus on any issue and in any case I didn't think to do that - so if you find such an omission offensive, I apologise for that too.

Perhaps Old Girls might have had an opinion

Count me out. The "drawing the line" expression has been enough for me. Just what DR said about any idea I ever had.
Having read the thread through again the phrase in question can be interpreted in two ways:

As you've interpreted it or alternatively there is a limit to the number of people that can physically be consulted therefore to limit the number a line has to be drawn.

I'm reminded of the famous Bentley murder case of the early fifties.

Briefly 19 year old Derek Bentley was hanged for the murder of PC Miles even though 16 year old Christopher Craig fired the fatal bullet.

The case turned on the interpretation of the phrase "let him have it Chris."

PC Miles allegedly asked for the gun Craig was holding to be handed over and Bentley shouted "let him have it Chris."

Did that mean give him the gun or shoot him?

Both interpretations are equally valid and arguable just as with Kerren's phrase.

All I would say is don't let upset over a possible misinterpretation cloud what, in your heart of hearts, you want to do.

Here endeth today's lesson :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

kerrensimmonds wrote:This is the opportunity for the Foundation of Christ's Hospital to acknowledge Miss West's 30-year contribution as its Headmistress at Hertford. It is not an 'OG-fest', although it is to be expected that a large number of the attendees will be people who were at Hertford with her.
IMHO we are fortunate
a) that the HM agreed that there should be a Memorial Service at all, and is allowing the School's resources to be used for the purpose (although he himself will have left by the time the service takes place). This in itself honours Miss West - the School does not have the time or resources to host Memorial Services very often;
b) that the person who was Clerk in Miss West's final year (and who had worked with her previously as Deputy Clerk) has agreed to give the Address;
c) that several of the current staff have agreed to be involved in supporting this Service, out of respect for Miss West's reputation - and I hope that some if not all of the new Head, Treasurer and Clerk will be able to attend. A number of former Officers of the Foundation are expected to be there, too;
d) that a number of Hertford OB's, through me, have been invited to be ALL the recommendations have been taken on board. I am sorry that Angela was not one of those OBs (as if!)with whom I consulted while the process was rolling. Had I thought to do so, maybe she would not be complaining now. However, I had to draw the line somewhere!; (Yeah , right)
e) that here we have a great opportunity to bring Hertford, and specifically DRW's contribution to the Foundation, into the consciousness of the School of today. We are specifically inviting current children to attend the service and I have no problem at all with the Senior Grecian - again showing honour to Miss West - reading one of the lessons. ( shouud be an Old Girl) Knowing Miss West, as I did in her latter years, I think that she would be pleased about that. (who wouldn't let us have anything to do with the boys'school) (The HM, Senior Grecian and Second Monitor attended her funeral and she would have been pleased about that, as well. Her family said they were honoured to see them there.)

So, I'm sorry Angela, but from my perspective you are somewhat 'off target' in complaining that this is not going to be a Hertford-only event.

Kerren
I DON'T THINK SO! HOW CAN YOU SAY I AM OFF TARGET!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Angela.. I am sorry that this has turned into such a public spat. Please, please do be reassured that at NO TIME - either in the planning process or in the course of this thread today - have I ever intended to cause you (or anyone else) offence. I deeply regret that clearly you have taken offence, in a major way, though I think that yes, there have been misunderstandings and misinterpretations. Maybe I am not very good at using language.
I myself now feel as if a whirlwind has dragged me off to a place where I do not want to be, so I think the best thing is to let the matter lie, now.

If you remain adamant that you do not wish to attend the Memorial Service, then I would regret that (and I fear that, later on, you might, too....)

Kerren

(NB this is my last posting on this thread.....)
Kerren Simmonds
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Very angry

kerrensimmonds wrote:I am sorry that Angela was not one of those OBs with whom I consulted while the process was rolling. Had I thought to do so, maybe she would not be complaining now. However, I had to draw the line somewhere!;

Kerren
I never said that the service should be Hertford only, only that principal roles should be taken by DR's Hertford Girls. Quite right too!

However, you had to draw the line somewhere!and very offended -
one of DR's Nobodies -

Angela Woodford
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Dearest Munch,

Please come to the service.

It will all be fine on the day and I for one will miss you if you are not there.It will be a beautiful service and a great day.

Thanks to all who are taking so much trouble to care about it .
Alexandra xx
Spiv
2nd Former

D.R. West's Memorial S3rvice

Post by Spiv »

Alexandra - you are right, anyone (old, young, girl, boy, woman, man)will be very welcome at DR's Memorial Service.

I guess we are losing the thread here, what must the boys be thinking?

Any reason for a meeting of 'family' is right and proper and I for one am grateful to anyone who is prepared to organise such an event within the family of CH, whoever it is. The time is past for keeping oursevles to ourselves.

Hertford, although strong and and clear in my own past and memory, for good and ill, blends seamlessly into the wider picture of the centuries past and locations varied. My childhood was spent but a short walk from Newgate; Bluecoat children (or very like) were statues on the front of my Junior school in Old Street. DR, as headmistress, accepted me into CH Hertford as a gauche, self-opinionated, yea even bigoted (as I was once told) girl into the community and I floreated into an educated, self-opionated, less bigoted human person. Education at Hertford was not as perfect as it might have been but it suited me and many more like me. I am sorry for those of higher ability and aspiration who felt let down by their years in Hertford. But I am not important. No one person is important. The community is important; the body is important; the history is important; and those who endeavoured selflessly to turn us into who we are are important. And always will be.

If you feel that your years at CH Hertford 1942 -77 have in any way influenced your life, be at the Memorial Service - if you want to be there. If you don't, stay away. Those who wish to gather to share a common childhood and remember their days spent with lifelong friends (and enemies) will do so for their own reasons and not for the exclusivity of being a Hertford girl. Hertford is in the past. The Foundation and the School move on and looking back and claiming exclusive ownership of 30 years of DR's contribution to the history of CH is not the way forward - read her Founder's Day histories and then perhaps understand how she was aware of her, and her girls, position in the continuing story of CH.
Viv Winter (Walker 1's & 7's 1959 - 1966)
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'm glad this thread seems to have run it's course.

At the end of the day, Christ's Hospital is Christ's Hospital !

Old Blues are Old Blues, irrespective of sex !

A Memorial Service is a Memorial Service, irrespective of what one might think personally of that person.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Just to say that I hope everything goes well on Sunday.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Thank you!The runes look good....and so does the weather forecast. Around 115-120 have signed up so far (in addition to people from within the current school community, Officers, etc.) - but NB the school has had to issue car passes and tea tickets to everyone known to be attending. If there is anyone out there on the Forum who is planning to come but who has not let the CHA office know, then I advise that you contact Wendy Killner asap? (Phone number and e mail address on CHA website - I won't publish them here).
Kerren Simmonds