Trying to explain

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:Gordonstoun is/was definitely 'posh' and it was well known that pupils there had to run x miles before breakfast and then have a cold shower to 'toughen them up'.
It didn't do a certain 'heir' much good though, did it ?

How long did he survive the Navy, unlike a certain younger brother ? A friend of ours served under him on H.M.S. Bronnigton .
Hmmmmmmm !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Mrs C. wrote:Only this morning at Horsham Hospital one of the nurses told a consultant, when he asked what CH was " it`s the posh school out that way"
A clipping from The Haywards Heath Gazette (or something - Mum only cut out the middle bit of a page, so I am unable to reference correctly, but she lives in Haywards Heath and the clipping is from her local paper) arrived in my mail box yesterday. Brief explanation of what CH is all about, and inviting organisations to sponsor a pupil. Starting to sound like World Vision or Oxfam to me :)
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:Gordonstoun is/was definitely 'posh' and it was well known that pupils there had to run x miles before breakfast and then have a cold shower to 'toughen them up'.
It didn't do a certain 'heir' much good though, did it ?

How long did he survive the Navy, unlike a certain younger brother ? A friend of ours served under him on H.M.S. Bronnigton .
Hmmmmmmm !
Which younger brother? I think Andrew did OK in the Falklands, but the 'theatrical' one had problems growing a regulation Marine moustache.

"Ooohh, sarge, can I be Buttons in the Commando Panto? I can do make-up and everything!".....
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

At least he is still married to his first wife (who is infanticipating again).
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:At least he is still married to his first wife (who is infanticipating again).

........ but is it a 'grudge' baby ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Returning to...

Post by Angela Woodford »

Trying to explain! I've just found my 1973 student nurse's blue buckram belt whilst clearing out a wardrobe! I'd sewn hooks and eyes on it to a standard which She Who Shall Not Be Named would have approved, with a rather accomplished buttonhole stitch. At the time, I had often to take off this belt for people to admire. I explained at the time that we had to sew to a certain standard or a Below Standard would take away the Commendation of someone else in your House. This would result in a :shock: look. Very difficult to explain the sheer worry fear and anxiety brought on by - needlework!

Do CH girls still sew to a high standard?

Obviously, there could never be another She Who Shall Not Be Named, but I wonder if the needlework tradition died with the merger?

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

One Old Girl's Day, somebody present told me she went for an interview for a teaching job and was shown around by a science teacher. At first she spent her time looking at the woman's blouse with its hand-stitched buttonholes until she could contain herself no longer. Yes, her guide was an OB. I don't know whether she got the job on the strength of that or not!

Another comment to me by a friend on OG's Day, after discussing needlework she said to me 'Can't see anyone wearing any home made garments today', I took great delight in saying I had made my Jean Muir design outfit. I think I could hear her jaw crashing onto the school field! I may say it is a long time since I made anything like that. It was many years before I could take any short cuts in dress making - I always bound the sleeves and finished every seam.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

Katharine wrote: Yes, her guide was an OB.

Another comment to me by a friend on OG's Day, .
Only just noticed (thanks Katharine) that a collection of Old Blues becomes OBese

Perhaps we should have a change?
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
kayinbaja
3rd Former

sewing

Post by kayinbaja »

Well, this is bizarre and spooky! I had to shorten a pair of trousers today and, having PINNED up the hem rather than TACKING it I was feeling my usual rush of fear lest she-who-shall-be-nameless came in and caught me being slovenly. Then I get on the forum and there you all are talking about sewing. The trousers look just fine by the way. She'll never notice.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Katharine wrote:I took great delight in saying I had made my Jean Muir design outfit. I think I could hear her jaw crashing onto the school field! I may say it is a long time since I made anything like that. It was many years before I could take any short cuts in dress making - I always bound the sleeves and finished every seam.
That must have looked lovely, Katharine! A Vogue Designer pattern? They were always very difficult. I loved the designs of the late Jean Muir - beautiful elegant garments. I once spotted Jean Muir in Liberty's - a tiny woman, unbelievably chic, dressed in dark navy blue.

I feel glad that we did learn to sew. My favourite machine in the Needlework Room was one of those Singer gold and black ones with a hand operated wheel. We had one in House as well! I wish I had one now. My machine is a bit alarming although by no means new, but I have never used all those complicated zig-zag features.

I remember how interesting it was coming back to school and seeing what everyone was making. The laying out of the fabric on those long dayroom tables, the cutting out, seeing garments take shape; but oh the anxiety of getting it finished and handed in - could do without that!

There is a good chance, Kay, that She won't notice, but you can't be sure. You may have to unpick the trousers hem and do it again. Remember how Her face used to quiver with fury? No...no.. I musn't think of it!

Munch
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: sewing

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

kayinbaja wrote:She'll never notice.

Are you sure about this? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have a brand new sewing machine sitting in the study, just waiting for this period of my life to be over so that I can, once more, get stuck into some creative activities.

I confess to having bought a one step buttonholer, as my hand sewn button holes were never much to write home about. Tailor's tacks, on the other hand, I still perform. I remember being asked by a disparaging flatmate why I didn't just stick pins in. Tired once. Dismal failure.

xx
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Double needlework classes in my first and second years were always cut short by my music lessons so I feel like I missed out on quite a bit. I don't think there was the same emphasis on the subject at Horsham. BUT I learned to do a French seam on 'The Nightie' and have since used it when running up stuff at home. I'm just about to embark on fancy dress for Saturday night's carnival for daughter no. 1 who is going to be a bride. We have a skirt from doing Cavaliers and Roundheads a few years ago and lots of net curtaining for veils and trains. Just need to whip up a bodice! This is where I'd like to have a bit more knowledge - I make it up as I go along. But I shall pin first, then tack in a different colour and then fit the garment. I love doing fancy dress and it doesn't really matter what the wrong side looks like although I'm a bit of a perfectionist and do like proper hems etc.
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z108 ... /Cora1.jpg
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z108 ... /Beth1.jpg
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Mary
CH 1965-1972
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Adorable! How clever to make those costumes. You are a supermum, Catherine.