New Girl

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

There isn't, Kerren ... You wanted the subject changed!

No, that wasn't her name, but I don't actually know what it was ...
Caron Garrod (nee Haskell)

2:38 1976 - 1979
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Psst!

Post by Angela Woodford »

Oh well, if I can have a reasonably modified word then...?

Sorry Kerren!

It was evening prep in the LV1 - I would have been 12 - 1965? We were working hard (or in my case already not) at our Latin prep.

It had begun to defeat me a bit, ever since the textbook had begun "Puella columbam amat. Columbam puella amat." In fact, all the variations of girl-and-dove relationship that you could imagine).

I had resorted to ornamenting Kennedy's Shortbread Eating Primer with a design of my own, when there was a "psst!" from Frances Holmes on my right and a small paper was sneaked onto my desk. I glanced up, but the Senior taking prep was still frowning over something very absorbing. OK!

I unravelled it. A leaflet with sketches of a sideways female propping her leg up on a chair... weird or what? Brilliant! it was the Tampax Instruction Leaflet!

Terrific! You could see ads for Tampax in the *Readers Digest or in my older sister's Woman's Own mag, but they consisted of a picture of a glowing woman emerging from the water of a swimming pool and blurb along the lines of "Freedom! Comfort!" which didn't explain much.

Now I was enlightened. I vowed that when it came to my time for this wretched periods business, I would spurn those horrible bulky pads and the pink belt and the loo with the incinerator. In fact, kindly Nature was to spare me for a couple of years.

With the customary furtive "psst!" I passed the instructions to Elaine Woods behind me.

But I would like to thank very sincerely the girl who circulated the leaflet during prep!

I didn't know who she was - but I was very grateful.

Munch

*Like a regular menstrual cycle the awful Readers' Digest arrived at our home every month, and there was no stopping it.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I love the Readers Digest, my parents still get it and it is great for reading in the loo when visiting.

Mrs Agulnick left when you did Kerren, she retired to Eat Sussex, (Fairlight), later to be joined by Misses Cordery and Taverner, the latter being the organist at Fairlight Church, or she was the last I heard.

I don't remember anyone covering for Mrs Winstone during my time.

I know that when I was in Upper Sixth the housemistress was away for the weekend and Jane (also a mon) was also going away on Saturday leaving me in charge. Unfortunately I got some bug but didn't dare go up T'Inf until Jane was well away. In the event it took me over a week to recover, probably becasue I has struggled on for 2 days with whatever it was.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Psst!

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote:I unravelled it. A leaflet with sketches of a sideways female propping her leg up on a chair... weird or what? Brilliant! it was the Tampax Instruction Leaflet!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A dear friend (who makes a mean chardy and creates exquisite pieces of jewellery) left for a job at a winery in Virginia very recently, but came back for a conference last week. We chatted about the differences between Adelaide and Virginia, and one very important difference that she had found was the lack of choice when it comes to sanitary protection:

'The only things the shops stock are pads or Tampax! I had never used a tampon with an applicator, and didn't know what to do with it!!!!!!!!!!'

Between sniggers I remembered that insertion required putting one foot up on't loo seat, but I had forgotten from whence I gleaned this useful piece of information

'Yes, yes' she giggled "I know: I eventually read the package insert'.

Her intention was to fill a suitcase full of her items of choice, and to visit home regularly :lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

englishangel wrote: she retired to Eat Sussex,
She must have been very hungry then!!! :mutley:

Sorry, cheap joke, but with JR not around, someone had to make it!
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

englishangel wrote:Mrs Agulnick left when you did Kerren, she retired to Eat Sussex, (Fairlight), later to be joined by Misses Cordery and Taverner, the latter being the organist at Fairlight Church, or she was the last I heard.
Does anyone remember those vocal exercises Jean Taverner had us do during hymn practice? Even these days I can't look at the relevant notice on trains without wanting to sing "To stop the train in cases of emergency, pull down the chai-ain, pull down the chai-ain!"

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

carong wrote: Does anyone remember those vocal exercises Jean Taverner had us do during hymn practice? Even these days I can't look at the relevant notice on trains without wanting to sing "To stop the train in cases of emergency, pull down the chai-ain, pull down the chai-ain!"
I remember at drama school one singing coach using the charming phrase "The dog is dead...", sung up the range and back down again. Of course, it being drama school, that wasn't enough; there was an imaginary dead dog in the centre of our circle!
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

Ajarn Philip wrote:remember at drama school one singing coach using the charming phrase "The dog is dead...", sung up the range and back down again. Of course, it being drama school, that wasn't enough; there was an imaginary dead dog in the centre of our circle!
At least you didn't have to BE the dog ... :roll: !!!

carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

Ajarn Philip wrote:Phil Underwood Ma A 68-71, Col A 71- 74, Mid B 74-75
BTW Phil, keep meaning to ask, did you know my brother Phil (Haskell)? I think he keft Mid B in '75. You may have avoided him because, from what I can tell, he was always in trouble.

He's now a 'businessman' so I guess la plus ca change and all tyhat!

Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Hi Caron,

My last year was a tad chaotic and slightly truncated because of family illness, so to be honest I don't remember much about Mid B. You know what it's like after 30 years or more... "that name does ring a bell... doesn't it?"

I don't specifically remember him, but I certainly wouldn't have avoided him because he was in trouble!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

carong wrote:
Ajarn Philip wrote:remember at drama school one singing coach using the charming phrase "The dog is dead...", sung up the range and back down again. Of course, it being drama school, that wasn't enough; there was an imaginary dead dog in the centre of our circle!
At least you didn't have to BE the dog ... :roll: !!!
Being a dead dog in a centre of a singing circle... terrific! Can do that!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

does anyone remember the singing game "the farmer's in his den..." which ends with "....we all pat the dog....."?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Mary, how can you bring that up ? Terrible game played by the juniors during all out, basically aimed at "patting" whoever was the dog...
of course I remember it ! Also "in and out the dusty windows".... oh dear, is my second childhood on its way ?
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Euterpe13 wrote:Mary, how can you bring that up ? Terrible game played by the juniors during all out, basically aimed at "patting" whoever was the dog...
of course I remember it ! Also "in and out the dusty windows".... oh dear, is my second childhood on its way ?
Dusty bluebells?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

icomefromalanddownunder wrote: Dusty bluebells?
You can just do them again Caroline! :evil:

They should be much more shiny than that! :evil:

Try rubbing a bit harder! :twisted: