New Girl

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote:But making do for two days with powder! Appalling.
Munch
I was long past breakfast when I read Kay's post, but began hyperventilating madly while reading it.

Have no fear girls, that this particular little gem has been duly recorded in my list of abusive practices.

I'm having trouble deciding on an appropriate emoticon with which to end the previous sentence. It (me keeping a list of abusive practices) is, of course, a joke, but the behaviour we are commenting on was, was, aaarrghhhhhhhhhhhhh - I'm lost for words.

xx
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

Bloomin' 'eck, so am I... Instinct tells me to stay well clear of this discussion.

BUT I CAN'T!! Sorry :)

I've been trying to think of any conceivable male equivalent, and the nearest I can come is being told there's a limited supply of loo rolls, so it's having to be recycled...

Ladies, you don't need to tell me that doesn't begin to compare. This should almost be on the bullying thread.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Miss Screen

Post by Angela Woodford »

Also the risk of infections. The stupid ignorant woman! It seems incredible that DR should have appointed such women to look after us. but I feel that 5's were particularly unfortunate in having that Housemistress, and I think she didn't stay long? I hope not, anyway!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Miss Screen

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote:Also the risk of infections. The stupid ignorant woman! It seems incredible that DR should have appointed such women to look after us. but I feel that 5's were particularly unfortunate in having that Housemistress, and I think she didn't stay long? I hope not, anyway!
Hi Munch

Was DR solely responsible for staff appointments?

My feelings towards DR changed after having read 'Half To Remember', or rather, my hope that she was acting out of what she perceived to be our best interest rather than malice were semi-confirmed.

IMO she had no idea of what were our best interests, our needs, or how we should have been cared for. I must admit to being slightly more grateful for having The Pot as a House Mistress after hearing Jo and Kay's stories, but spent over four years at CH hoping that someone of Mrs Blunt's personality and motherliness would once more take up residence in 6s.

I am absolutely outraged, and echo your comment about no-one complaining, but who would they have complained to? The Study? I can envisage Sarah T somehow smuggling supplies out to us. DR? Would she have intervened? Sister? I bl**dy well hope that she would have intervened, but suspect that she wouldn't have even bothered to let the complainants finish their story.

Kay, Jo, have you ever told this story to a Counsellor or Psychologist? I apologise for making the assumption that you, like many of the rest of us, have been counselled at some time. I wonder whether anyone who has not had the Hertford experience would even believe the story.

Two days??????????????? Two bl**dy (literally), smelly and potentially infectious bl**dy days. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Talc :shock: Recording dates :shock:

The incinerators were still there in the 80's but I don't remember them being used.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Yes, in 3s we recorded dates, and used to imagine Miss Norris checking up on us. She used the old range in the kitchen as an incinerator. We didn't have individual supplies, but had to creep into the wardrobe room, to a grotty little cupboard in the corner. Yuck!

Maggie (relieved that all that is well and truly over)
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

midget wrote:She used the old range in the kitchen as an incinerator.
I remember there were incinerators by the toliets on the first floor - not sure if they were also on the 2nd floor.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

This is turning into a stomach churning thread. Can we stop it? I don't remember incincerators, just buckets and piles of old newspaper. AArrggh.
And, yes, Vonny.. I suspect is was normal practice for a House Mistress (especially for a Junior House) to inform the parents when the moment came for the pupil to have discovered that she had 'grown up'. Though in my case I had NO IDEA what was happening and if it had not been for a close relationship with my more enlightened best friend, Clare, I might have thought I was dying.....
What sad times! But they are 50 years ago and I am sure that things must be different today.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

kerrensimmonds wrote: I don't remember incincerators, just buckets and piles of old newspaper. AArrggh.
The mind boggles :shock:
kerrensimmonds wrote: And, yes, Vonny.. I suspect is was normal practice for a House Mistress (especially for a Junior House) to inform the parents when the moment came for the pupil to have discovered that she had 'grown up'.
So you were expected to inform the housemistress then :shock: And I thought it was bad in the 80's :lol: I didn't tell anyone when my time came :lol:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I started during the summer holidays, aged 12 and half and BB I don't remember pads being put on the slats but we did have to write in a little book when we took a pack. I think it was to check if we were bleeding very heavily, becasuse it was so little talked about that no-one would have mentioned it or told anyone.

As for menopause, I just stopped at 43 (as had my mother and grandmother) and despite looking older than my years during my teens, I too still look under 50 (I am told) with no HRT despite the best endeavours of my GP.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I think each house differed in their approach to this. At first we had large drawstring bags hung in the loos that you just helped yourself to as needed. Later we did have to collect our packets, but I don't remember any lists or any difficulties about it. Perhaps I have blotted those memories.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I was in a Junior House (aged 11) and I had to tell the Wardmistress (as she was then) firstly because I thought I was ill (I told you I was naieve) and secondly because it was only through her that I could access the necessary supplies. I can't remember how it was in 5's but in 2's yes, I think we had to discretely go to the Wardrobe Room, help ourselves and yes there probably was a goodly supply. I don't remember any difficulties or restrictions. And there probably was a book into which to make entries - but I can't confirm that....
Kerren Simmonds
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

The worst thing was with the STs was going to collect them with that huge basket, and then having to walk back across the tennis courts with an open basket full of STs. Which was always when one of the male teachers would choose to walk over to School Block ... :roll:
Caron Garrod (nee Haskell)

2:38 1976 - 1979
carong
LE (Little Erasmus)

Post by carong »

kerrensimmonds wrote:This is turning into a stomach churning thread. Can we stop it? I don't remember incincerators, just buckets and piles of old newspaper. AArrggh.
OK Kerren!

I was just wondering if there's anyone out there who was in 2's mid-70's ish who remembers the name of that mad German woman who use to come in for Lawrie's night off?
Caron Garrod (nee Haskell)

2:38 1976 - 1979
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

When I was in 2's, the person who used to come in to cover for Mrs. Winstone on her days off was the German teacher, Mrs. Agulnick. Many people had a great affection for her - though I did not know her because I was in the Latin stream, with Queenie Blench (getting thrown out, abysmally, just before O levels).
Could she possibly still have been doing that getting on for 10 years later, or was there a bizarre connection between 2's and German?
And either way, what on earth is the connection between her (whoever she was) and incincerators, buckets and old newspapers?.....
Kerren Simmonds