Hertford uniform

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:I have never made a cream horn since I left, or 'Queen of Puddings'.
You have to have had cookery lessons with Betty Jukes to see the relevance of this comment!! How long was she at the school? Did her recipes stay the same all those years?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:I have never made a cream horn since I left, or 'Queen of Puddings'.
You have to have had cookery lessons with Betty Jukes to see the relevance of this comment!! How long was she at the school? Did her recipes stay the same all those years?
Don't know how long Miss Jukes was at CH, but I do know that her basic training has served me all her life - even things like " good cooks wash up as they go " - which I have taught to my own children !
There was no need for her to change her recipes - apple pie, bechamel, bread or lemon curd are staples for any year, indeed any decade!
I am still grateful for what she taught me...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Euterpe13 wrote:
Katharine wrote:
englishangel wrote:
Don't know how long Miss Jukes was at CH, but I do know that her basic training has served me all her life - even things like " good cooks wash up as they go " - which I have taught to my own children !
Why didn't I marry Miss Jukes? :wink:
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Mid A 15 wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote:
Katharine wrote:
:shock: :lol: :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Miss Jukes arrived some time during the late 1940's. We had cookery lessons (I think for only 1 term) in LV, and then again for a year in LVI, unless you were doing science A levels. They did introduce a cookery A level inabout 1951, prior to that the only people who did "serious" cookery were those in Housecraft VI. That was a one year course in which they also did needlework and laundry work. What happened to the laundry school on the ground floor of the Science block, opposite the Physics labs?
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

midget wrote:What happened to the laundry school on the ground floor of the Science block, opposite the Physics labs?
That must have been Miss Wilsons "geogo" room.

Miss Jukes & Miss Wilson were still at CH in 1985 - they both must have been past retirement age then :? A large proportion of the teachers at Hertford just prior to it closing were past retirement age.

Think we had the Miss Jukes & Miss Wilson conversation elsewhere a while back.
Maureen Connor
2nd Former

Post by Maureen Connor »

midget wrote: What happened to the laundry school on the ground floor of the Science block, opposite the Physics labs?
By the 70s this was being used as a Geography teaching room, used by Miss Wilson - who else? I remember my last Geography lesson with her in about January 1974. I had to draw a map of a very strange pebble bank called Chesil Beach before I was allowed to go off and study German for O level. Quite momentous on two counts really i) I've spent my entire adult life teaching German and ii) I've spent about the same amount of time living within a stone's throw (ha,ha) from said pebble bank. Strange how things turn out.
PS The thought of having to learn how to deal with laundry is a bit grim. Mind you it was the 50s, I suppose (Mona Lisa smile?)
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:New forum member "Ruthie-Baby" ,who seems to have visited everywhere else, has wisely decided not to venture here :lol:
Not quite true - she has not limericked yet ....... we are all agog!
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

midget wrote:Miss Jukes arrived some time during the late 1940's. We had cookery lessons (I think for only 1 term) in LV, and then again for a year in LVI, unless you were doing science A levels. They did introduce a cookery A level inabout 1951, prior to that the only people who did "serious" cookery were those in Housecraft VI. That was a one year course in which they also did needlework and laundry work. What happened to the laundry school on the ground floor of the Science block, opposite the Physics labs?
I had much the same amount of cookery in the 60s. 12 weeks in the LV and then again in LVI (even with Maths & Physics A levels). I also had it in S VI as we were supposed to get some relaxation!
Did the pair arrive together, who came first of Miss Wilson and Miss Jukes?
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

One thing I remember about them not mentioned elswhere, is that they were great travellers, I remember them going to Menorca in the October vacation circa 1968, and bemoaning the fact that it would probably go the same way as Majorca which they had visited 10 years earlier and had now been 'ruined'.

Are they still alive does anyone know?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:Are they still alive does anyone know?
I was wondering that - I have a feeling that when Hertford closed they stayed fairly local.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Vonny wrote:
englishangel wrote:Are they still alive does anyone know?
I was wondering that - I have a feeling that when Hertford closed they stayed fairly local.
I thought that too.
rebel
3rd Former

Miss Jukes

Post by rebel »

Not sure how Miss Jukes got into a thread on uniforms but . . . .(and re uniforms, the bloomers were called Harvest Festivals - all is safely gathered in . .)
Miss Jukes was the only person who ever said a kind word to me or told me I was any good at anything, and so I became a Home Ec(Dom Sc) teacher like her, a totally unsuitable career choice for me who is not domesticated in any way. After wasted years, and various other things later, I managed to get out of that rut and study what I was really good at, getting my Masters degree etc etc. She may have saved me from complete despair at CH. But the damage was done and I have never really recovered or got back on the track I should have been on from the first. (Sob sob wallow wallow.Bring out the violins or the paper bag). Still, I suppose I might not even be here if she hadn't been a small oasis for my last three years.
And I did like having strawberry flan occasionally when the rest had to put up with stodge. And even vegetable broth - the first thing we made I think, was better than most of the regular food.
As for Miss Wilson, I felt so sorry for her. What a life! I didn't like her lessons much - spent a lot of time in A level geog. drawing contour maps and maps of the mineral resources of Britain - in between taking copious notes. Oh for a computer! or even a ball point pen! But she was a nice enough person when caught off guard.
Now I will go back into retirement after my annual post.
AKAP
Grecian

Re: Miss Jukes

Post by AKAP »

rebel wrote:(and re uniforms, the bloomers were called Harvest Festivals - all is safely gathered in . .)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Vonny wrote:
Mid A 15 wrote:
Euterpe13 wrote: Don't know how long Miss Jukes was at CH, but I do know that her basic training has served me all her life - even things like " good cooks wash up as they go " - which I have taught to my own children !
:shock: :lol: :lol:
I don't think we had better answer that!!! :o :lol: :wink:
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach