Hertford uniform

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I have made Queen of Puddings about 4 times since I left CH, but never a Horn of plenty..

Having recently discovered the Jewishness of our roots, I am making up for lost time by making jewish foods.... Boy do they like to celebrate, and fast and then stuff and drink!!!

I have recently had a new oven fitted into the kitchen (I still wish I had a gas one :cry: ) but this has a light in it (OK... little things .. just look at it as I am easily pleased ok?!) and a fan.... this fan thing means everything has to be re-cooked to work out the new timings and if I need to add more liquid to the recipies... Sarah's 18th Birthday chocolate sheet took 3 bashes (I could have done it in 2, but people were clammering for more cake...so I said "let them eat cake" unquote!!) anyhow, Purim is here on 13th March - so I tested out a batch of Challah bread ( it requires only 5lbs of flour per bake.......no wonder I am so SO tired!) ZZZzzzz...

I am sure Miss Jukes would be proud to see I either wash up as I go along or throw it in the dishwasher.... (depends on how much cooking I am doing!)

Anyhow, I am capable of cooking for any number of people at anytime thankfully, and this I have to thank Miss Jukes for! :rave:
Last edited by Jude on Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Jude wrote:(I still wish I had a gas one :cry: )
Me too :( Have a gas hob though & bought a new combi microwave last weekend so am experimenting with that at the moment!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Jude -

do you still have any of Miss Jukes' recipes that you could send me ? My cook-book got lost in one of my many moves, and I would love to make Queen of Puddings or her fastastic kedgeree again !
thanks
B :D
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Euterpe13 wrote:Jude -

do you still have any of Miss Jukes' recipes that you could send me ? My cook-book got lost in one of my many moves, and I would love to make Queen of Puddings or her fastastic kedgeree again !
thanks
B :D
Delia Smith's kedgeree is a great favourite in our house. I will send you that when I get home.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Ta muchly, Mary !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

At some point in the past there`s been a CH recipe book - favourite recipes of staff, parents..... we have a copy somewhere I think .

I reckon you should put together a "Miss Jukes` Recipes" book, judging by the comments and requests here!

All I remember "cooking " at school was fresh fruit salad, rock cakes (yes, they were !) and some strange concoction of mashed potato, cheese and tomatoes.
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

I don't recall ever having a recipie book from Miss Jukes - however, I suspect that it vanished when I left home (as did all my books.... thanks parents) :twisted:

However, I do have some very good recipes for various things - I think I might add a page to my website (see link below) and start putting up good working recipes with hints and tips - or we could start another string in here - although I think there are a few already that contain recipes..

i have to admit to leaning on the Cookery Year - have had it over 20 years and it's very good.. Although I am a ok that the recipe, how about I add a dash of this or a bit of that sort of cook, keeping to a written recipe just doesn't "do" it for me!!!
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

what link???
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Mrs C. wrote:At some point in the past there`s been a CH recipe book - favourite recipes of staff, parents..... we have a copy somewhere I think .

I reckon you should put together a "Miss Jukes` Recipes" book, judging by the comments and requests here!

All I remember "cooking " at school was fresh fruit salad, rock cakes (yes, they were !) and some strange concoction of mashed potato, cheese and tomatoes.
I remember making rock cakes, doorstop cakes more like.

However I am very good at Christmas cake. I have been using the same recipe (Cordon Bleu cookbook) since 1978. I do put in extra cherries as I love them.
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

I tend to follow a recipe fairly closely the first time I use it (- apart from those things you buy and only ever need in one recipe in your whole life, so I don`t bother with those) - the second time it gets freely adapted!
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I was the fastest cook in my year - often the only person to finish in time, and Miss Jukes tried hard to make me take A-level Dom.Sc !

I used her basic skills ( bechamel, bread, pastry, sauces) to develop my own recipes at home and in the restaurants & hotel I ran with my first husband at one time. More than anything, she taught me to be methodical , a big help when faced with the 2 1/2 pages of a Curnonsky recipe for Coq au Vin....
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Mrs C. wrote:what link???
at the bottom of each of my signatures is a picture of a house with http://www.... click on that and it will take you to my website - but I haven't put any recipes up yet!

Trying to convince daughter that she should stay home and rest as she has sore throat. cold etc and been off college... but it's another 18th birthday party tonight so I have to suffer all the crap of her being ill, then getting ready (where's my x. y , z..... etc!) and now being the chauffer - I'm going to the gym to work it off.... the evil that is! At least the party she's going to is at hte leisure centre! (s hits for the price of 2!)
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Ah! didn`t see that!!
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

It will take me a while to get as many recipes on the site - so if you all want to email them to me I can add them - then all you have to do is go to one site for all your recipes!!

(lol who am I kidding!)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Jude wrote:It will take me a while to get as many recipes on the site - so if you all want to email them to me I can add them - then all you have to do is go to one site for all your recipes!!

(lol who am I kidding!)
Good idea girl, thanks for the offer.