Hertford uniform

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:All the guys I know wear suits with fully functional pockets.

What's the point in having them if they are sewn up?
The pockets are there, but the jacket is supposed to hang better on the hanger in the shop if the pocket is tacked closed.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

I distinctly remember getting a new harris Tweed coat or blazer or whatever and sitting and sewing the pockets up and then having them inspected to ensure they were firmly shut !

I can still hear the resounding cry of Wendy Lee

" TAKE YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKETS ! "............so some pockets clearly WEREN'T sewn up.

PS. Saw a recent pic of Wendy a while back in (I think) a CHOGA magazine ( one of the last). She was looking really cool with fab chic hairstyle !
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:I can still hear the resounding cry of Wendy Lee

" TAKE YOUR HANDS OUT OF YOUR POCKETS ! "............so some pockets clearly WEREN'T sewn up.

PS. Saw a recent pic of Wendy a while back in (I think) a CHOGA magazine ( one of the last). She was looking really cool with fab chic hairstyle !
Did she scar your first term Alex? Another one of my year in 6s to get mentioned today.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

In our day, pockets were unsewn, BUT if you were caught with your hands in them, you could then be made to sew them up.... so what was the point of pockets in the first place ?
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Katharine said ( of Wendy Lee):

"Did she scar your first term Alex? Another one of my year in 6s to get mentioned today."

:D No, quite honestly she didn't Katharine ! That was me being michievous ( and aware that you would read it). After many years I've been talking on the phone with Angela Marsh ( much giggling) and she reminded me about Wendy and I naughtily slipped her name in ( sorry Wendy) .......I was slightly terrified of her as she was more strident than your good self and definitely more "no nonsense" than Sue Cottingham :D
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Katharine said ( of Wendy Lee):

"Did she scar your first term Alex? Another one of my year in 6s to get mentioned today."

:D No, quite honestly she didn't Katharine ! That was me being michievous ( and aware that you would read it). After many years I've been talking on the phone with Angela Marsh ( much giggling) and she reminded me about Wendy and I naughtily slipped her name in ( sorry Wendy) .......I was slightly terrified of her as she was more strident than your good self and definitely more "no nonsense" than Sue Cottingham :D
I think I would agree with your assessments there, Alex :lol: :lol: You have left one of us out though - Anne-Marie Kelly. What are your memories of her? She's the only one I kept up with all through the years, we were at Oxford together, I am now back in Christmas card contact with Susan.