Hertford hygeine, hierarchies and heartache (from CH Forum)

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Little Edward

Post by Angela Woodford »

englishangel wrote:I thought it was the nurse who made the lemonade. she was lovely, though I don't remember a toddler.
Now it comes back to me, Mary, at Mark Reading end of one Summer Term DR made a pronouncement that we would have a nurse in the Infirmary who had a young baby. Edward was a sweet little child, and I can remember mother and crawling baby sitting and playing on a blanket on the field outside the Infirmary. A good job for a mother, I can remember thinking.

Sister Garrad could often be seen bottom up weeding and planting in the Infirmary garden facing the field - do you remember there was that yellowing veranda construction?

House gardens were a wilderness! I used to long to get ours cleared and some good shade plants put in. I'd have done it too! Stupid I never asked to take it on - during hockey/netball of course!

Fa la lankydown dilly, curse that refrain...

Munch
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Notes on Nursing

kerrensimmonds wrote:Firstly the marmalade jars in which generations of doses of Friar's Balsam had been dissolved in boiling water, and over which you stuck your head covered with a scratchy white towel, for 'inhalation';

Alex remembers these too! They are called "Nelson's Inhalers" - still used by nurses in 1975 as a pre-op chest clearer. Most effective, but terrible to clean. There they'd be, lined up in the sluice...

secondly the barbaric device for lowering a temperature....stripping you off, giving you a powder mixed in water, then wrapping you like a mummy in itchy blankets and leaving you on your bed, bound tight, to 'sweat out the temperature'.
How awful! I wonder what the powder was? Any pharmaceutical explanation from anyone? Any fule (nurse) kno that tepid sponging is the best method - or it was "in my day". Not that nurses do that sort of thing very often nowadays!

Love, Munch
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Paracetamol works so much better.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

englishangel wrote:Paracetamol works so much better.
Nah. Pyrexial patient, in misery, tossing and turning - 2 paracetamol? Don't think so.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:
Nah. Pyrexial patient, in misery, tossing and turning - 2 paracetamol? Don't think so.
http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/s ... sp?id=2005

From the above website

Main Use
Pain, fever
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Paracetamol

englishangel wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:
http://www2.netdoctor.co.uk/medicines/s ... sp?id=2005

From the above website

Main Use
Pain, fever
This site is not about nursing care! It's for patients checking online about self medication.

Paracetamol "useful for reducing fever and discomfort associated with colds and flu, and following vaccinations", it says.

To bring down the temp of a seriously ill pyrexial patient, tepid sponging is a brilliant "nursing intervention". Anyway, it's positive real hands-on care that gives comfort and security to a sick person.

Munch
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

You have been out of nursing a long time haven't you?

When my children had raised temperatures I tepid sponged but that is the only time I did it.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Now. now Nurses, let's just agree to disagree, shall we :)

Putting on my Pharmacologist's hat I shall decree that all the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (now known by the masses as NSAIDs) drugs have the potential to be analgaesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory. Some also offer the added bonus of causing gut ulceration (Aspirin) or liver damage (Paracetamol).

Possible alternatives are homoeopathic preparations, essential oils, cold baths, tepid sponging, or just letting the immune system do it's job.

I think that my task for the next week shall be to demonstrate the fever-reducing potential of grape and cocoa derived polphenols. Since I haven't applied for ethics approval, I shall have to be my own subject. Yum: chocolate and red wine for a whole week. Now if I can just get my temperature up .................................
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

englishangel wrote:You have been out of nursing a long time haven't you?

When my children had raised temperatures I tepid sponged but that is the only time I did it.
I left a year and a half ago. Don't matronise me.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Davey Jones - his inspiration!

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:
englishangel wrote:Munch if you had been in 2's that person swooning on the radiator would have been "M" unfortunately. Davy Jones and Len (Chip) Hawkes of the Tremoloes (Silence is Golden, Golden, but my eyes still see....in a falsetto)

Ahhh happy days.

My daughter was a big fan of 'Sabrina the Teenage Witch' and in one of the shows a spell was cast in which everything that was said was taken literally. Sabrina was in a teenage mood and one of her aunts said she must have a 'monkey on your back'. Cue a very surprised Davy Jones riding on Sabrina's back.
Chip Hawkes of the Tremoloes, indeed! I've now started off singing Silence is Golden - I foretell it will be with me for days!

But! This must be how Davey Jones got additional riding experience! and went on to more glorious equestrian exploits! (See JR post) Perhaps the teenage witch cast a spell on him.

I was surprised that, of all the Hertford Girls, the one who had an amazing knowledge of the Monkees should have been JR.

Love, Munch
I did quite enjoy their zany antics on a Saturday evening. If I was with the afore mentioned ex girl-friend, I would HAVE to watch the show.

Incidently, I have seen a DVD of a Monkee's reunion concert, and given that they were originally a manufactured band, they did develop into quite a good band, musically. However, I'm sure Richard Ruck wouldn't agree !
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:
englishangel wrote:You have been out of nursing a long time haven't you?

I left a year and a half ago. Don't matronise me.
My sincere apologies. And I like the pun.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Davey Jones - his inspiration!

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Hands up who knew that Mike Naismith's mum invented Tippex, or Whiteout, or Correction Fluid or whatever it's called in your part of the World.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

:supz:
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I didn't know that !

Was it my 'starter for 10' ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Now. now Nurses, let's just agree to disagree, shall we :)

Putting on my Pharmacologist's hat I shall decree that all the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory (now known by the masses as NSAIDs) drugs have the potential to be analgaesic, antipyretic and anti-inflammatory. Some also offer the added bonus of causing gut ulceration (Aspirin) or liver damage (Paracetamol).

Possible alternatives are homoeopathic preparations, essential oils, cold baths, tepid sponging, or just letting the immune system do it's job.

I think that my task for the next week shall be to demonstrate the fever-reducing potential of grape and cocoa derived polphenols. Since I haven't applied for ethics approval, I shall have to be my own subject. Yum: chocolate and red wine for a whole week. Now if I can just get my temperature up .................................
Really????