Hertford hygeine, hierarchies and heartache (from CH Forum)

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Re: Caroline Knows Best...

Post by DavebytheSea »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Your oil sounds very exotic: I was pretty sure that the one I have didn't come from Rosa mosqueta.

Mad the mistake of checking the label - it's sourced from Rosa eglanteria.

Now I can't get a song which has absolutely nothing to do with roses out of my head:

'Sir Eglamore that gallant knight,
Falalankydowndilly.'

Does this bring back memories for anyone?
He took up his sword and he went for to fight
Fa la lankydowndilly
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Sir Eglamore, that valiant Knight

Post by Angela Woodford »

DBTS, that wretched tune has been going round my head for days.

Do you know any more words for Sir Eglamore?

It has been driving me crazy!

Thinking of Miss Cordery and Aural Training takes me to the old Sanitorium, which was unused when I was first at Hertford. Then it was converted to a Music School, and painted inside in the most hideous colours. Miss Nutto von Stettin (German Mistress, a very sad-looking woman) had a flat on the ground floor. How ever did she cope with the sound of girls practising?

I wonder why the Sanitorium was an unused building and the Infirmary became our sick place. What was the Infirmary before it was the Infirmary? Does anyone know?

The Music School never lost its smell of paint. The ground floor was a weird mixture of pinks, first floor weird mixture of blues. I could never believe that anyone had chosen these colours!

Munch
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Re: Sir Eglamore, that valiant Knight

Post by DavebytheSea »

Angela Woodford wrote:DBTS, that wretched tune has been going round my head for days.

Do you know any more words for Sir Eglamore?

It has been driving me crazy!
http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiWLDBOA ... BOAR2.html

.... and will you now massage me with exotic oils .... ?
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Sir Eglamore revisted!

Thank you very very much DBTS!

Fa la lankydowndilly! I like the "coat of male"!

Caroline - now you can sing it too!

I did once do a course in therapeutic massage...

Munch
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Angela Woodford wrote:I wonder why the Sanitorium was an unused building and the Infirmary became our sick place. What was the Infirmary before it was the Infirmary? Does anyone know?
As I understood it, the Sanitorium was for isolation cases, Infirmary for more general ones. Midget might know. The wing with four (?) individual rooms was completed in my early years at the school, can't remember quite when.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Katharine wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:I wonder why the Sanitorium was an unused building and the Infirmary became our sick place. What was the Infirmary before it was the Infirmary? Does anyone know?
As I understood it, the Sanitorium was for isolation cases, Infirmary for more general ones. Midget might know. The wing with four (?) individual rooms was completed in my early years at the school, can't remember quite when.
She knows a bit about it, having resided in both. I don't know when they were built, but the san. was not in use during and just after the war, probably because of fuel shortages. When we had a bad flu epidemic in the spring of '46 or '47, once the inf. was full they used 8's for the overflow. Later on the san. was used for a mumps epidemic (mostly girls from8's with a few odd bods like yours truly. We all liked being in the san, it was sunnier than the inf and better yet, Sister only visited once a day, and we were looked after by 2 lovely temp nurses, twins known as a.m. and p.m.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Dodging All Out

Whilst having a bit of a reminiscing session with Deirdre Hobbs recently, we were remembering the ghastliness of being forced to participate in the game we were put down for (Nellie Norman's immaculate lists in the cloisters).

OK, 40ish years later, I reveal that if you were looking for Deirdre, Judith Pook or Carola Curwen during All Out, they had a hide-out in in inner Bio Lab, and were never found.

Generally, I'd turn up for tennis, or Tennis Team Practice. I loved the game and it would be warm. But if bitterly cold, or it was hockey, I had a concealing place in Nines, with the book I would rather be reading. Plus, if the terrors of being behind with needlework got too bad, by the side of my bed in Upper Dorm stitching away would do - Pot would patrol around, but not too thoroughly!

I have never forgotten how cold All Out could be! And we weren't allowed to play in sweaters!

Munch
cj
Button Grecian

Re: Dodging All Out

Post by cj »

Angela Woodford wrote:I have never forgotten how cold All Out could be! And we weren't allowed to play in sweaters!

Munch
My daughter came home early from school the other day saying that football had been cancelled because there had been some precipitation in the air. Bearing in mind that they wear tracksuits and hoodies, and anything else they can get their hands on (sou'westers and gaiters, slaves to hold umbrellas over them etc), I couldn't see what the problem was. So I went on to inform her about us playing hockey in the snow in an aertex shirt and games skirt. Her reply was something along the lines of, "Harrumph, what do you know." Are they being pampered nowadays? Or were we exploited? There's a thought!
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Dodging All Out

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

cj wrote:Or were we exploited? There's a thought!

I reckon we was abused :shock:

It's worse in Oz - I was involved with junior sailing when my kids were junior sailors. Now, in England we were so grateful at being able to go sailing that we took the boats out even when it was snowing - clad in warmish clothing, and maybe a pair of wet socks. Er, that's socks made of neoprene, not wet cotton or wool :wink:

Here, the little darlings won't go out in summer if the sun isn't shining, because 'it's too cold'.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Sweaters

ISTR, we only had one sweater - a navy pullover with lighter blue bands round the cuffs and V-neck. (V1 Form had a navy cardigan).

But even if we put on the sweater over aertex blouse and tunic, Nellie Norman would have us take it off before setting foot on netball court or hockey pitch! "You'll soon warm up, Angela Marsh" "Yes Miss Norman."

When you think how many garments we had, it's surprising that those tunics did for winter uniform and games!

Of course the really keen sporty netballers and hockey players woulc be thundering about instantly, breath visible in the frosty air, pink armed and
cheeked, heedless of the clods of muddy earth flying about, responsive to the urgent "peep" of Nellie's whistle.

They didn't seem to notice the cold much. Brrr!

And back in for tea or a lesson after this, with no chance to wash. Dodgy hygiene practice!

Munch
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Ah, playing hockey at Ashbourne in the fog.... those were the days !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

My favourite memories of Ashbourne relate to cricket - particularly sitting in the old pavilion, linseed-oiling cricket bats. And who can forget Ashbourne hats?
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

kerrensimmonds wrote:My favourite memories of Ashbourne relate to cricket - particularly sitting in the old pavilion, linseed-oiling cricket bats. And who can forget Ashbourne hats?
One year we decided to have tapes that could reach the ground - somewhere I have a photo of Anne-Marie wearing hers like that.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:
kerrensimmonds wrote:My favourite memories of Ashbourne relate to cricket - particularly sitting in the old pavilion, linseed-oiling cricket bats. And who can forget Ashbourne hats?
One year we decided to have tapes that could reach the ground - somewhere I have a photo of Anne-Marie wearing hers like that.
I think there is a picture somewhere of that look.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes, there is... on the Hertford memories thread, I think. Photos of Hertford, as submitted by Caroline...
Sexy little numbers, Ashbourne Hats!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966