Quick questions and (maybe) answers Hertford Memories thread

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Yes...
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Girlhood

Post by Angela Woodford »

There was something about that bronze head of a girl-with-plaits that cried out for defacement/strange interpretation/ornamentation. I couldn't resist having a go at it, and I think others had the same tendency!

"Girlhood"! Give me some white paint, some red ribbon and a bit of leftover clay... and that's just for starters...

Anonymous
scatty
2nd Former

Re: Quick questions and (maybe) answers Hertford Memories thread

Post by scatty »

I remeber the hot drink Milo, which I really liked and also the nice big soft beds in Long Ward! Don't remember the yucky sounding medicine. I do remember I read the Devil Rides out and other Dennis Wheatly books, yeah scary stuff! Being in the infirmary was a real treat, I thought the food was much nicer too.
The ancient book - I seem to remember there was a collection of them in Long ward with loads of sepia or black and white photoes of native peoples and yes some of them were really hairy and strange looking! Once when I wrote a letter to my parents when I was in the infirmary (and I was terrable at writing to them) unbeknown to me it apparently got stuck in that little lift thing that used to send the food up and down stairs. About three years later nurse found it and sent it back to me in house 8, I could not believe it had been stuck there all those years!! By the way does anyone else still have their growth/height chart found mine the other day!

In house 8 I remember we had a huge portariat of the queen quite young looking it hung on the landing area just before you went into the dorm. I don't remember the pic in the science block.
Beginning to wish I'd taken more photos when I was at school I seem to have very few!
Scatty
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Does anyone else remember..........?

7.The flower arranging and miniature garden competition ,dutifully organised and judged annually by DR ?
It's good to see this thread revived.

One year the theme was book titles (or maybe films) and someone entered a bare twig as "Gone With The Wind".
Mary
CH 1965-1972
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I like it, Mary!
And I also like the reference to Milo. One day, DRW brought her beloved younger brother on a tour of the Houses whilst we were in lessons, and on a whim she opened my locker, in 2's. Predictably, everything fell out. AArrggh.. Brother Roger (who I now know....) was so embarrassed on my behalf that he went back to work (as a senior Executive with Nestle) and sent me a huge box of goodies. In the box was a tin of Milo (green, if I remember rightly?). It was absolutely scrumptious - both eaten dry off a spoon [in chrunchiness not so far away from a Tim Tam... yummmmm!] and mixed with whatever we had that passed as hot milk.
I wonder if Milo was then introduced into the school - I had never met it before, and Scatty (who remembers it on this thread) came some years after me! I presume it is no longer available, more's the pity.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

I had to go and get a Tim Tam before I could type an answer. Yum.

How rude of DR to display your locker to a visitor in your absence! It's lucky there were no pet mice in there. I kept the inside of my locker door as a sort of primeval web page, with a quiz for visitors and a notepad for their comments.

I only remember having milky drinks at CH when in the infirmary, where we were offered a choice. If you opted for cold Milo then it was served as a mug of cold milk with the Milo heaped on top, so you could eat most of the powder dry with a spoon.

The infirmary could be fun, if you weren't too ill - perhaps just a cold. We were treated as if we were younger than our actual age, which was comforting. As well as the books that others have described, I remember jigsaws, including some very difficult ones with non-interlocking pieces.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Ah yes, the jigsaws! I remember one with very strangely shaped pieces, that had a picture od so-called undersea life- a lot of brightly coloured big-eyed fish. Our night-time drinks were hot milk,cold milk, Ovaltine or breadand milk.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

MKM wrote:I As well as the books that others have described,
The only books I remember up t'inf were Readers Digest!

As for evening drinks, I remember being offered a choice of 3 or 4 drinks.

The other thing I remember is that lunchtime was earlier in the infirmary than it was in the dining hall and so if you were let out after lunch (which I invariably was when I went up with migraines) then you would end up having two lunches!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Re:

Post by sejintenej »

cj wrote:I think this was a Hertford thing, and I also remember using it as a junior after the move, but if you wanted to sit next to someone, eg. in Chapel, you would ask if you could "squat" them, and they would reply in the affirmative ("yes, and Esmeralda is squatted on my other side") or negative ("I'm already squatted on both sides").

I vaguely remember it as something which went out in my time Another was to "spadge" which was to walk with somebody, each of you having a hand on the other's girdle.

JR - NOT that type. Oooooohhh you can't take him, anywhere.
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

I woke this morning having had a dream of School.

A group of us were just coming out of the Bio Lab (weird, weird smell in there!). We were having a conversation, with much hilarity, about how in the last lesson of term in the U1V we would be doing Human Reproduction. I was laughing so much in the dream, that I was leaning against an ancient dark wood show case at the top of the stairs.

I looked into the show case and everything in there was indistinct and fuzzy.

Is this right? At the top of the Science Block stairs were the Needlework Rooms, the History Room and the Bio Lab, yes? Was there a show case there, and if so, what was in it?

Not really exiting enough for a Freudian analysis, but I feel curious now; what was in the case?
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

You are right about the rooms on the top floor of the science block, and I am almost certain there was a display case of some kind outside the Bio Lab. As to what it contained - that I don't remember, but possibly bones?? Maybe fossils? (or were they mostly in the staff room? :lol: :lol: :lol: )
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Thank you, thank you Jo!

Bones! Were there really? Or fossils? Could have been. Possibly I don't remember because we always went straight into the Bio Lab or History Room and didn't linger about queueing up outside. And as to Needlework... straight into a queue in that ante-room, benches along each side, to wait for SWMNBN to arrive!

I wonder if any of us were around to witness the pulling-down of the school as we knew it.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I won't bother doing a Freudian analysis, then !

Has anyone else read his 'Interpretation of Dreams' ?
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
thamesmudandbarges
2nd Former

Post by thamesmudandbarges »

Just registered so apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

I remember going "up tinf" - to the Infirmary.

I'm sure there's loads more CH phrases lurking at the back of my mind but it's a place I haven't visited for a long while.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

It occured to me a couple of days ago to ask what happened to the laundry school? Science block, ground floor, left hand side opposite the Physics labs.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.