Sixes Forever!

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Sixes Forever!

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

OK, got your attention!

This is to widen/continue a thread from 'Holly Burning'.

Comments, please, on the following questions:

Were Sixes considered to be different by members of other Houses/Wards?

Did members of all Houses consider their own house and its members to be 'special', or was it only Sixes who felt this way?

Why is (um, should that be are?) there a preponderance of ex-Sixes contributing to the forum?

Where did our customs of Midsummer Revels and Holly Burning originate?

Um, can't think of anything else at present, and need to crawl back under an a/c outlet.

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

In answer to your questions, No,yes,don't know,don't know. Of course 3s were best!
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

midget wrote:In answer to your questions, No,yes,don't know,don't know. Of course 3s were best!
Ditto but 2's was the best :D
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Did any other house have anything like Midsummer Revels? I seem to remember in Half to Remember that it started before DR came to the school so it had a long life.

I thought that all had Holly Burning, we knew we were unique in Midsummer Revels.

Any memories of Chocolate Bunnies?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Katharine wrote:Any memories of Chocolate Bunnies?
Very very vague ones. Was there a connection with the swimming pool & chocolate bunnies? Something at the back of my mind is saying so but no doubt I've got that wrong :lol:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

I remember Chocolate Bunnies - this was a joke played on the new juniors : they were told that DR would give easter eggs to the new girls - another urban myth !
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Sixes Forever!!

Post by Angela Woodford »

I think it's true to say that Sixes had some very strong original personalities, and we were particularly "family" to each other.

Love

Munch
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Sixes Forever!!

When I moved from Ones to Sixes, I remember the house as a rather terrifying place. It was the last days of The Hag, who was replaced by Mrs Blunt, who continued to allow the Sixth Form tho "discipline " us. But by the time the Study was occupied by the delightful Sarah T, Dinah Forrest and Susan Sullivan, Sixes had become much happier.

I was thrilled to meet Sarah again three weeks ago at a London gardening study day! After the initial "you haven't changed a bit" greetings, Sarah regaled the group with the shaming (for me!) anecdote that was her Great Act of Kindness.

For some reason that I just can't remember, I had been banned from entering the Poetry Competition. I was terribly upset! I wept, sobbed, wailed and was inconsolable. Sarah tried every method to stem this alarming flood of tears. Humour, sympathy, a philosophical approach - nothing worked. and then - inspiration!

Heedless of official going-out times, Sarah ran into Hertford and bought a really squidgy cream doughnut. She recalls that as I peered into the paper bag, a watery smile broke through the tears.

The study group listened enthralled to this tale.

"But why were you banned from the Poetry Competition?" asked the Head Gardener. I was too convulsed with laughter to reply. "Expect she'd been really, really bad?" the Deputy Head Gardener ventured cautiously. Then a terrible thought occurred to her. "Don't let her have hold of anything sharp!" she squeaked.

"Get those secateurs away from her!!"

Love

Munch
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Chocolate Bunnies

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

I remember Munch (((( hi Munch! ))) making chocolate bunnies a reality by somehow producing a box of Lindt choc bunnies (which I thought were wondrous and immaculate) and letting us 3rd years have one each....kind.Thanks Munch.

btw regarding sixes new ,reformed,kind study....Dinah was lovely and my "crack", Sarah T. was nice ....but you forgot Ruth Mc Currie (quake,quake.......although she looks cool now and rescues dogs in the USA).

...and for Katharine who asked me if I remembered Anne-Marie Kelly ( way back in the threads ).....of course I do....tall,slim,immaculately turned out with her fair hair scraped back in a kind of bun.....aloof and ice cool.

...oh and Munch, I remember Josephine Maude.....as usual D.R. had put the three Josephines in the school in the same house.Josephine Maude (known as "Phinee" of the long,long hair and best friend of Alison Stilliard), and Josephine Mc Namara ( as seen in the photo someone posted of the 617 squadron presentees ) and Josephine Hopgood (sister of Blue Editor ,John).
Last edited by Alexandra Thrift on Sat Feb 10, 2007 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Chocolate Bunnies

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:btw regarding sixes new ,reformed,kind study....Dinah was lovely and my "crack", Sarah T. was nice ....but you forgot Ruth Mc Currie (quake).
Ruth was the year above the others you name. She was the year below me along with Sarah Haslett and Alex Szantyr, can't remember whether there were any others. Sarah was the only one who got her GA at the start of UVI because there were so many of us around!
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: Chocolate Bunnies and some Best Friends

I didn't see why the chocolate bunny myth couldn't be made reality!

btw regarding sixes new ,reformed,kind study....Dinah was lovely and my "crack", Sarah T. was nice ....but you forgot Ruth Mc Currie (quake,quake.......although she looks cool now and rescues dogs in the USA).

Ruth Mccurry belonged to the year before - believe me, I remember!! Rescues dogs? As in an Abandoned Dogs' Home?

...and for Katharine who asked me if I remembered Anne-Marie Kelly ( way back in the threads ).....of course I do....tall,slim,immaculately turned out with her fair hair scraped back in a kind of bun.....aloof and ice cool.

Yeah, that's the one, indelibly frozen in my memory. If you ever watch "10 Years Younger" Alex, don't you think the presenter has a bit of a look of A-MK?

Sixes were traditionally the Needlework House. Greatly adding to this reputation were the buttonholes of Christine Goodwin. It was said that if the top two buttonholes of your garment looked really good, the rest would look really good too. Christine Goodwin was responsible for a lot of top two buttonholes!

...oh and Munch, I remember Josephine Maude.....as usual D.R. had put the three Josephines in the school in the same house.Josephine Maude (known as "Phinee" of the long,long hair and best friend of Alison Stilliard), and Josephine Mc Namara ( as seen in the photo someone posted of the 617 squadron presentees ) and Josephine Hopgood (sister of Blue Editor ,John).

Carolynn might have found Phine Maude for me! I remember Jo Mc Namara very well (and her beautiful mother!) and never realised that Josephine Hopgood was sister of Blue Editor John! Do you remember Jo McNamara's best friend Deborah Bowers? "Jo'n'Deb" went together like Toni'n'Guy!

Thinking of another pair of Best Friends, remember Maureen Flynn (tall and funky) and blonde Denise Brownlow? Both were cool, very cool! Behind the door of the tuck room they had created a sort of Alternative Calendar. On the date of Denise's birthday there was an emphatic message

Denise Reaches Age Of Consent!

I would puzzle over this. What could it mean?

Love

Munch
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

On her 16th birthday by daughter was dancing around singing "I'm legal, I'm legal'.

As far as I know she hasn't acted on it yet (2 years on)
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote:Ruth Mccurry belonged to the year before - believe me, I remember!! Rescues dogs? As in an Abandoned Dogs' Home?
Alex, is it Ruth who files ex-racers around the country (USA) to new homes, as a member of Greyhounds Over America?

If she's involved in extending the lives of greyhounds then she's OK in my book :wink:

Love

Caroline
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:On her 16th birthday by daughter was dancing around singing "I'm legal, I'm legal'.

As far as I know she hasn't acted on it yet (2 years on)
I can't believe you typed that Mary !

Two opposing words spring to mind TRUSTING and GULLIBLE
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Alex, is it Ruth who files ex-racers around the country (USA) to new homes, as a member of Greyhounds Over America?

If she's involved in extending the lives of greyhounds then she's OK in my book :wink:

Love

Caroline
I love the idea of filing greyhounds! She does fly them around, Sarah Haslett also held a pilot's licence, wonder what made that lot want to fly?