Holly Burning

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

Holly Burning

Post by Vonny »

I was reading Kerrens copy of Half to Remember earlier and got a real blast from the past when DR mentioned Holly Burning. Can anyone remember exactly what Holly Burning was? The name was still going strong at Hertford in the 1980's but I can't remember anything about it (other than the name).
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I mentioned this recently on another thread (obviously doh!) can't remember which. It was the last night of the Christmas term. In 6s we all gathered around a fireplace (5s side usually?), we took turns in number order to choose a carol to sing. I THINK we actually burnt the Christmas decorations, but as I don't remember any other open fires would the chimneys have stood it? It was a lovely feeling of togetherness, I think food and drink were involved as well. I don't think Miss Jenkins was there I think it was just us.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I don't ever remember having an open fire in 2's. There were samll tables in front of bi=oth fireplaces.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

We had open fires occasionally, and I particularly remember a time when the entire senior school succumbed to food poisoning, We were all terribly sorry for ourselves but were comforted with open fires, and the pleasures of dry toast.
I think holly burning must have been yet another of 6s strange rituals- I never heard of it in my time.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

midget wrote:We had open fires occasionally, and I particularly remember a time when the entire senior school succumbed to food poisoning, We were all terribly sorry for ourselves but were comforted with open fires, and the pleasures of dry toast.
I think holly burning must have been yet another of 6s strange rituals- I never heard of it in my time.

Does anyone have any idea why 6s were different: or, rather, where our customs originated, and whether they originated at the same time. Did we, at one time, have a house member from overseas or of heathen origins?

Mary - were we considered to be different to the other houses? Bit like coming from a dysfunctional family: you don't know that things are done differently in other people's homes until they explain why they look at you sideways or avoid you :lol: .

Love

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:Does anyone have any idea why 6s were different: or, rather, where our customs originated, and whether they originated at the same time. Did we, at one time, have a house member from overseas or of heathen origins?

Mary - were we considered to be different to the other houses? Bit like coming from a dysfunctional family: you don't know that things are done differently in other people's homes until they explain why they look at you sideways or avoid you :lol: .
I have been wondering this too! Is it just that there are several of us on this Forum from about the same time in 6s so our memories reinforce each other? AFAIR, we KNEW we were the best but we didn't know we were were different.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Katharine wrote:I have been wondering this too! Is it just that there are several of us on this Forum from about the same time in 6s so our memories reinforce each other? AFAIR, we KNEW we were the best but we didn't know we were were different.
Taking this one step further ................. why is there a preponderance of ex-Sixes contributing to the forum?

Ooops - Swish just lay her head on the Delete button, so I've had to move the keyboard into my lap. Usually she gets my attention by standing directly in front of the monitor, but it's just too hot today for that trick.

Think I'll start a new thread to widen the potential audience.

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:I don't ever remember having an open fire in 2's. There were samll tables in front of bi=oth fireplaces.
We definitely didn't have open fires in the 1980's. I don't even remember singing carols in house - all I remember is the phrase Holly Burning. Maybe CJ will recall more than I do.
Last edited by Vonny on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I don't think 6s were regarded as in any way different, but the certainly had a more youth-friendly housemistress in Miss Lomas. The ones that were different were 8's whose housemistress was the most house-proud woman in existence. From what we heard the things yoou were not allowed to do in case something got a smudge on it would have filled a book. Mrs? also had a Siamese cat which was always getting stuck up the trees in the square, and the poor groundsmen had to get it down.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Holly Burning - actually, I do seem to remember burning decorations - in particular the Christmas that Fanny was away for her operation. There were tables before the fireplaces, but the one where tea was served was moved.
I also remember Carol Singing around the Houses - I was in the choir for most of my time at CH - and the Houses took it in turn every other year to choose carols to be sung, then to the Staff Houses ( where we usually got mincepies and hot chocolate...) and we finished, I think , at DR's house.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Vonny wrote:
englishangel wrote:I don't ever remember having an open fire in 2's. There were samll tables in front of bi=oth fireplaces.
We definitely didn't have open fires in the 1980's. I don't even remember signing carols in house - all I remember is the phrase Holly Burning. Maybe CJ will recall more than I do.
I hope no-one will take offence when I say that my memories of 1s are generally miserable. I don't remember it being a warm, fun-filled house. Like Vonny says, we didn't have open fires or carol singing, not sure if I even remember the phrase holly burning. Our Christmas celebrations in junior dorm consisted of decorating the place (usually with toilet paper snowflakes) and doing a dorm play, which the second years organised, for Mrs Weisz to view. I think I was Snow White in my first year, a theatrical coup for a new girl. It must have helped that I has very dark hair! We also had permission for a midnight dorm feast on the last night of term before the Christmas hols. I think some of the seniors took our food list into town to do the shopping for us. We all thought it was terribly exciting. I can't think that we did anything as a house, but I may be wrong. I was just desperate to get out of the place and go home. By the time we were in Col A, Mrs Endacott got us to organise Christmas parties and have a bit of fun. Completely different.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
EvilAkela
2nd Former

Re: Holly Burning

Post by EvilAkela »

Christmas in Ones, certainly in my first couple of years was good. We had brilliant christmas decaorations, that a team of people had been painting in the cellar for weeks. I remember the weekend they went up, the day room was out of bounds, so we came down on the Monday morning to these amazing paintings.
We had Holly Burning on the last night of term when we sang carols and hanged out our little presents (although we never burnt anything!)
From what cj says a lot of what happened was dependent on the seniors, and I think while I was junior we must had a good lot.
Heather Barber (Parsons)
1's 1977-1982
Julia Page
2nd Former

Post by Julia Page »

Now having got the bug - a comment here too. I sit in age between Munch and Katherine (Kate). Holly Burning I recall just as Kate says - burning the Christmas decorations (although I had forgotten the choosing of carols until reminded). Also Midsummer Revels (but was that the right name?) anyway we put the teddies out and the LV downwards rushed out first thing on Midsummers Day to wash their faces in the dew and the youngest LV was 'sacrificed' and carried in by everyone covered in the soft toys(?). Well I was the sacrifice one year and have a photograph somewhere of being carried in.

I think that the special thing about sixes was that most of us disliked theHag - I thought she was sadistic- and we pulled together as a house for that reason.
Julia
Julia
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

There you are Julia!

I'm still really really impressed by your beautiful nails, which I admired at the DR Memorial. To think that, after all those years of Bluebell, you would have such lovely hands... what an example to us all.

Please find the picture of you being carried in as the Sacrifice. There is only one photo of Midsummer Revels that has been posted!

I only had one year of The Hag in the L1V. She never spoke to me, so I never really took in the sadisitic tendencies that you remember. Katharine certainly does have dreadful memories of her!

The Study of '65 - '66 now! But I have written enough about them! :snakeman: :snakeman: :snakeman: You were probably in a year and of a status where you weren't bullied and tormented by them.

The Hag must have been really horrible to you - how ghastly! I didn't know she took punishment that far.

You never knew Miss Scott-Haughton (Pot). I assure you that 6s, under this benevolent nicotined vague woman, went on to be a much happier place - loads of really clever and original superbrain girls - much the best House!

Can you remember anything of Iris Stanley? She always looked so ill - if only I could go back in time and offer her a bit of support - get her to seek medical advice or something!

Lots of love, Julia. We want all your memories!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Also Midsummer Revels (but was that the right name?) anyway we put the teddies out and the LV downwards rushed out first thing on Midsummers Day to wash their faces in the dew and the youngest LV was 'sacrificed' and carried in by everyone covered in the soft toys(?). Well I was the sacrifice one year and have a photograph somewhere of being carried in.
I don't remember the Holly Burning, our fireplace in 2s was where we stashed the record player!! But Lordy, the Midsummer Revels!! Those awful blue dressing gowns all looming about in the square and on the field in the dark, I had completely forgotten! Thank you :)
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.