Holly Burning

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Holly Burning

Post by J.R. »

MaryB wrote:It was nice in the annex though - definitely worth being ill, only you couldn't guarantee being put there. I remember having mumps in Long Ward (very demoralising for adolescent girls, but presumably worse for boys), also really bad colds with inhalations in big earthenware jars - you kept your head under the towel for the duration of two records.
... only if it migrates 'down-below'.

Fortunately for me, it didn't ! :oops:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Fjgrogan wrote:I was advised to paint on Friar's Balsam when I had a problem with cracked nipples whilst breast feeding - can you imagine how it stung?! .

OMG - what kind of sadist would suggest such a treatment??????????????????

Both my offspring were born in NZ, where lanolin (not surprisingly) is recommended for a variety of ills, including cracked nipples. I did purchase a large tub of the stuff 'just in case', but, fortunately (since discovered I'm allergic to the stuff) never had to use it.

Of course, this may be why so many Kiwis have such an affection for sheep.

xx
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

A lot of people are allergic to lanolin and it is not now recommended for use around babies.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

I shouldn't think Friar's Balsam would be suitable for babies either, and it must taste disgusting!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Only just found this thread.
Must have been two flu epidemics because I remember one and I left in 1966. I think it must have been around Easter time one year (may even have been the year that we were at School for Easter because of the timing....) as I have a recollection of being in bed in another house which had been turned into an overflow of the Infirmary. Think it might have been 1's or 3's. Daffodils and birdsong and being in bed in the daytime in a dormitory are associated with this memory!
Yes we used to have to inhale from boiling water in old marmalade jars, into which a little Friar's Balsam had been dropped, and then sit there with hot steamy noses and sweating foreheads, under a scratchy white towel. Over time the marmalade jars became encrusted with the Friar's Balsam. I seem to think that someone else has posted about this on the Forum, some time ago.
My mum used to give us Friar's Balsam to EAT. One drop on a sugar lump, then suck it....
AArrgghh.
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

kerrensimmonds wrote: My mum used to give us Friar's Balsam to EAT. One drop on a sugar lump, then suck it....
AArrgghh.
OMG, that sounds even worse than a tablespoonful of Milk of Magnesia, followed by a twirled up bit of tissue shoved up your nose to make you sneeze (why, Mum? I don't want to sneeze...) and then having your hair smothered in Brylcreem!

Still, look on the bright side - at least she left my nipples alone!
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Was the Brylcreem medicinal?!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Was the Brylcreem medicinal?!
Well, it kept the flies away...
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Ajarn Philip wrote:
kerrensimmonds wrote:Was the Brylcreem medicinal?!
Well, it kept the flies away...
It helps with half a water melon as well, but that's another completely different joke. :rock:
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.