chapel pews

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Mrs C.
Button Grecian

chapel pews

Post by Mrs C. »

Whilst whiling away 90 minutes in Court Room this morning I discovered plaques on the oak radiator covers in there, stating that they were made by CH carpenters out of the Hertford Chapel pews. (You probably know that already though!!)
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I didn't know Janet... thanks for telling us! There would have been a lot of wood in the Chapel and I wonder if it all went to Horsham, or only some of it.
What did get lost from the Chapel was the majority of the 'St. Francis of Assisi' window, dedicated to the memory of Minnie K. Mitchener. A box was found in the Museum years ago (and refound still in the Museum last week), containing a small fragment of it. No-one seems to know where the rest of it went.
We were all very sad about that.
Perhaps you could turn Detective for us!
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I didn't know Janet... thanks for telling us! There would have been a lot of wood in the Chapel and I wonder if it all went to Horsham, or only some of it.
This sort of post saddens me. Decent timber is such a scarce commodity and builders just chuck it in the skip. I wanted a bit of oak recently - 5 inches by 1 inch thick by 24 inches long - 15 quid plus Gordon Brown's whisky money

Go to auction houses and look at the old tables - they are snapped up, sometimes for several thousand pounds, not as tables but as sources of lumber. I hope that CH ensured they got a good price for all that wood. (Pitch pine - just as good, marginally cheaper of you can get it).

In the local jumble sale someone had thrown out an old chest of drawers; white over a horrible shade of green over shocking pink over white and I don't know what else. Cost a fiver, took me 3 days and two quid to get the paint off and another day to clean a perfect solid oak 3 drawer chest (now my wife's dressing table).

Been down the local industrial estate recently? Seen some broken pallets lying about? Each one will make 3 bird boxes (that's 27 quid in the garden centre) and you 'll have a bit over for your compost or worm bin. If you happen to know of a source of oak or beech, min 1 inch thick by 1 and a half inches and 10 to 12 inches long approx - anything bigger is welcome, I'm after about 25 bits!
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!