Cornish Piskies capture Hertford Housemistresses

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Dear Hertford Girls

I fear we have rather snatched this thread from you, although the comparisons are interesting. However, I notice that you have all stopped posting on here and perhaps boys' school material would more happily sit elswhere on the forum.

If you wish this to happen, I have no doubt that either the Cornish Piskies will transport our offending posts elsewhere, or the moderators will lend a hand in straightening things out. Perhaps the first five girls who give their views should be taken as the commanding voice of that Hertford assertiveness apparently instilled by the redoubtable DR - so, speak! - and your will be done!

Love to you all

David x
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

DavebytheSea wrote:Dear Hertford Girls

I fear we have rather snatched this thread from you, although the comparisons are interesting. However, I notice that you have all stopped posting on here and perhaps boys' school material would more happily sit elswhere on the forum.

If you wish this to happen, I have no doubt that either the Cornish Piskies will transport our offending posts elsewhere, or the moderators will lend a hand in straightening things out. Perhaps the first five girls who give their views should be taken as the commanding voice of that Hertford assertiveness apparently instilled by the redoubtable DR - so, speak! - and your will be done!

Love to you all

David x

OK, me first, me first :lol:

I think that we have just said all that we wished to say for the present.

Cheers

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

all for the Present

Post by Liz Jay »

Hi Caroline

I think I'm inclined to agree.

With the festive season fast approaching I'm all for turning to happier subjects.

The Past is done and cannot be undone, the Future hasn't happened yet, today is full of promise, that's why it's called The Present.

Or words to that effect.

New subject. School dogs. Who remembers Piper the enormously fat Beagle who roamed the Houses looking for spare sausage rolls on Sunday teatimes? As a child with canine withdrawal symptoms he provided some solace for me but wasn't he fat and smelly? And who did he belong to anyway?

There was a Cocker too and a Samoyed belonging to staff. They sometimes accompanied the crocodiles to the Meads.

Any more memories? What were their names?
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Housemistresses?

Post by Angela Woodford »

Well, DBTS, I've found these punitive postings so horribly interesting, that it's brought on a speechlessness for which I've never been famed before!

It's also interesting that there's a "Punishment - How Bad were You?" thread - but your mutual experiences at Horsham have appeared somewhere completely different!

Although it is challenging to compare our experiences! And the boys' reminiscence has proved to be such as I'd never realised before.

But come back girls! Please?

Munch
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Dear Hertford Girls

OK. So now we have the five votes cast. The problem is that I don't understand them. This is hardly surprising since my wife Judith always tells me I never understand anything, anyway. However, I assumed that even I would be able to take in a simple count as to whether the blokes' posts shoiuld be moved elsewhere, but it seems that I still have trouble understanding women - even in the simplest things. When will I ever learn!

Anyway, I think that one of you - perhaps English Angel, since she was the last to cast her vote - could count the five votes for me so that I can give a clear message to the Cornish Piskies in the matter, for they are even more easily confused than I, and are most likely to wreak havoc if there is any doubt about what has to be done.

Thank you for responding so readily and quickly.

With love

David x
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Well we moved it pretty sharply back to 'Housemistresses' so I think that is your answer.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Liz Jay suggested you gals should now discuss school dogs !

(The mind is well and truly boggling !)
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Obvious!

Obviously, when Liz wants to talk about school dogs, she means CH Hertford dogs. Simple, innit?

I remember Miss Cordery had a dog called Bobby. But others? I am not dog-aware!

But! Close to the Art School was a little shed, in which a dear old ginger cat would be found kipping on a bit of sacking. As a new girl, (1964), deprived of cat company, I would spend time with this ancient puss. So when Millie ranted and raved that I'd gone missing, this is where I was.

Must rush, The Ruler of All The Universe wants me to make fudge.

Munch

Munch
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

englishangel wrote:Well we moved it pretty sharply back to 'Housemistresses' so I think that is your answer.
Oh dear! Just when I was requiring certainty.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Certainty

DavebytheSea wrote:
englishangel wrote:Well we moved it pretty sharply back to 'Housemistresses' so I think that is your answer.
DBTS, we are being really tactful here. Of course I wouldn't want to ban the occasional Horsham reminiscence from Hertford Memories.

But didn't Mary succinctly say "Blimey, girls, we've been hijacked?"

Certainty!

Lots of love, Munch
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Certainty

Post by englishangel »

Angela Woodford wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:
DBTS, we are being really tactful here. Of course I wouldn't want to ban the occasional Horsham reminiscence from Hertford Memories.

But didn't Mary succinctly say "Blimey, girls, we've been hijacked?"

Certainty!

Lots of love, Munch
Thank you Munch for reading back and pulling out how I started.
I must say I have never been known for being particularly tactful, I have been accused of suffering from 'Prince Philip Syndrome'.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

OK - I will see what can be done to remove the misplaced posts to a more suitable location. As you may remember, it needs a pure virgin to converse directly with the Cornish Piskies and, you may well imagine, it might take a day or two to locate one in these parts.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

DavebytheSea wrote:OK - I will see what can be done to remove the misplaced posts to a more suitable location. As you may remember, it needs a pure virgin to converse directly with the Cornish Piskies and, you may well imagine, it might take a day or two to locate one in these parts.
Suggest you check the telephone box at the end of your road, Dave.

I have it on good authority, the annual Cornwall Virgins Conference is being held in there tomorrow ! :oops:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Oh dear

J.R. wrote:
DavebytheSea wrote:OK - I will see what can be done to remove the misplaced posts to a more suitable location. As you may remember, it needs a pure virgin to converse directly with the Cornish Piskies and, you may well imagine, it might take a day or two to locate one in these parts.

I have it on good authority, the annual Cornwall Virgins Conference is being held in there tomorrow ! :oops:
Would prefer to discuss Hertford Memories rather than Cornish Piskies, telephone boxes or annual conferences of pure virgins.

Angela Woodford
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Re: Oh dear

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:
J.R. wrote:

Would prefer to discuss Hertford Memories rather than Cornish Piskies, telephone boxes or annual conferences of pure virgins.

Angela Woodford
That's us told, (again), then Dave !!