What do you think...........

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

What do you think...........

Post by Vonny »

.............. CH Hertford would be like today if it hadn't have closed in 1985?
From reading the posts of those who were at Hertford before me I really don't think we fared as badly as they did. That's not to say that it was a bundle of laughs in the 1980's although I do have some good memories of friends and the mischief we got up to etc.
I wonder how "up to date" the place would be today :? Whatever the changes may have been I still cannot see that it would ever have had the same feel that Horsham had about it.
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I wholeheartedly agree with you Vonny, though from a couple of things I have read Miss Tucker was nearly as bad as DR withoout even the excuse of being an Edwardian child.

Also the Children's Act would have made an enormous difference. I think children today are far more aware of their 'rights', like not being shut in a cupboard.

and nowadays there is always Childline, which would have really let the genie out of the bottle.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:from a couple of things I have read Miss Tucker was nearly as bad as DR withoout even the excuse of being an Edwardian child.
I don't really remember a great deal about Miss Tucker. I think she was there for 10 years but only for a year or two between 1981-1985 when I was at Hertford. I do remember going to tea at her house one Sunday - I think each house took it in turn to send a few of us.
englishangel wrote:Also the Children's Act would have made an enormous difference. I think children today are far more aware of their 'rights', like not being shut in a cupboard.

and nowadays there is always Childline, which would have really let the genie out of the bottle.
Completely agree - I think the place would have HAD to change to fit in with the times. Not sure how some of the staff who were there in my time would have adapted though!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I've been sitting here trying to imagine Miss Norris (Nobs) allowing pick of the pops in the dayroom. If we were very good we were allowed to listen to Grand Hotel in her room on Sundays after tea. Someone had a wind-up gramophone which could be played on Saturday evenings- I think she had about 3 records-78s in those days.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

midget wrote:Someone had a wind-up gramophone which could be played on Saturday evenings- I think she had about 3 records-78s in those days.
We still had a wind up gramophone in 6s when I started at CH, in 1959. We too had it on Saturday evenings, also Wednesdays - but NEVER in Lent.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

After Chapel.

Post by Angela Woodford »

Katharine wrote:
midget wrote:Someone had a wind-up gramophone which could be played on Saturday evenings- I think she had about 3 records-78s in those days.
We still had a wind up gramophone in 6s when I started at CH, in 1959. We too had it on Saturday evenings, also Wednesdays - but NEVER in Lent.
I shouldn't really be sitting here typing. But, on day after Boxing Day, am revelling in some peace after Family Mingling. I'm also brimming with loads of coffee - my middle daughter has given the most elegant designer kettle, which I've kept filling for the sheer pleasure of seeing a smart blue light on it, on and off.

Chapel ended at about 5 pm on Sunday? We would file out, House by House, faces adjusted in contemplation/ devotion/blankness from being in a file.. Steadily, the 2x2 procession would get as far as the terrace - back of 8's (begin to accelerate) back of 7's (full pelt running) and into own House Dayroom to blast on Alan Freeman's Pick Of The Pops. "Welcome, Pop -Pickers!" As I remember we'd probably get there by whatever was at no 20 to huddle over the radio.

(It's now 1965)

The record-player could come out of the Study Saturday and Sunday nights. There was a particularly good raspy sound from that Dansette model, with it's stacking arm for up to 8 singles, it's hessian and vinyl presentation and a mysterious "tone" switch which made absolutely no difference to the sound.

Clunk... rasp..(crackle) and Diane Kimmins would do a particularly neat and skillful dance to The Spencer Davies Group and "Keep On Running".
How enraptured I felt visiting my friend Frances Holmes in 5's and hearing for the first time the Beatles "Rubber Soul". A magic moment.

I don't remember the Lenten banning of dayroom music, but we weren't supposed to dance. Well, really, certainly not!

Alison Stilliard, if you're out there somewhere, I wish I could have danced like you. A natural mover.

Love

Munch
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: After Chapel.

Post by Katharine »

Angela Woodford wrote:Chapel ended at about 5 pm on Sunday? We would file out, House by House, faces adjusted in contemplation/ devotion/blankness from being in a file.. Steadily, the 2x2 procession would get as far as the terrace - back of 8's (begin to accelerate) back of 7's (full pelt running) and into own House Dayroom to blast on Alan Freeman's Pick Of The Pops. "Welcome, Pop -Pickers!" As I remember we'd probably get there by whatever was at no 20 to huddle over the radio.
I love that description of coming out of chapel. I don't remember a radio in the dayroom at all. I think we had them both in Little Study (music room for LVI) and in the Studay but wouldn't swear to it.
Angela Woodford wrote:I don't remember the Lenten banning of dayroom music, but we weren't supposed to dance. Well, really, certainly not!
Were you in 6s for a Lent with the Hag? It probably went out with her.

I'm in work on a cold wet and miserable day! But hey, I've cracked posting with 2 quotes, never done that before!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Liz Jay
Deputy Grecian

dancing in the dayroom

Post by Liz Jay »

Oh Munch

I do remember Diane (why was it always "Deeanne" I wonder?) and her top quality dancing, didn't we have fun to that tinny little sound?
I also remember Janessa with a more Kate Bush style.

And a sort of mass skipping to "Yellow Submarine".

There was certainly some good music in that era. I always love the kind of radio shows that play "retro" for me, since I boogied and bopped my way happily through the late 60's and most of the 70's, a passion which was awakened in the Sixes dayroom.

It was fun having a daughter to Do the Locomotion with.....and Y-M-C-A and Reach for the Stars etc. Brought it all back!!!!

Love
Liz (was Plummer now Jay)
Ex - Sixes ''66 - ''68
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: dancing in the dayroom

There was certainly some good music in that era.

Did anyone ever crack the words to Desmond Dekker and "Israelites"? Siobhan had some theories... but nobody had the real answer! She also had painstakingly to explain to me what "Reggae" was. Oh dear! And then the hippier things got in the Summer of Lerve, the more Sixes began to smell of joss sticks. So lucky Pot's olfactory sense was completely blown away.

Love

Munch
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Angela Woodford wrote:There was certainly some good music in that era.

Did anyone ever crack the words to Desmond Dekker and "Israelites"? Siobhan had some theories... but nobody had the real answer! She also had painstakingly to explain to me what "Reggae" was. Oh dear! And then the hippier things got in the Summer of Lerve, the more Sixes began to smell of joss sticks. So lucky Pot's olfactory sense was completely blown away.

Love

Munch
Allow me to put you out of your misery, Angela !

Desmond Dekker Israelites Lyrics.
Get up in the morning slaving for bread, Sir
So that every mouth can be fed
Poor me Israelite - Sir

Get up in the morning slaving for bread, Sir
Poor me Israelite

My wife and my kids, dem pack up and a leave me
"Darling" she said "I was yours to be seen"
Poor me Israelite

Shirt them a-tear up, trousers are gone
I don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde
Poor me Israelite

After a storm there must be a calming
Ya catch me in your farm, you sound your alarm
Poor - a poor, a poor, a poor me Israelite, yii

I said I get up in the morning slaving for bread, Sir
Poor me Israelite - Sir

I said my wife and my kids, dem pack up and a leave me
"Darling" she said "I was yours to be seen"
Poor me Israelite - Sir, look

Shirt them a-tear up, trousers are gone
I don't want to end up like Bonnie and Clyde
Poor - a poor, a poor me Israelite - Sir

After a storm there must be a calming
Ya catch me in your farm, you sound your alarm
Poor - me Israelite, yiii
A poor a poor a poor a poor me Israelite
I'm a wondering, I'm working so a hard
A poor a poor a poor me Israelite
I look a-down and out sir ....
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Wow, who would have guessed JRs spritual home was Detroit?

I was reading an article the other day that the music of our late teens/early twenties is that which people prefer if asked, Brown Sugar anyone?
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

J.R. wrote:Allow me to put you out of your misery, Angela !

Desmond Dekker Israelites Lyrics.
Thank you JR

All these years of wondering, puzzling, re-listening and despairing. Misery is now eliminated. Very very grateful.

It's true Mary. The music you hear in teens and early twenties stays in your mind for ever. My father in law (furious confrontational retired Army Hero type person) can be reduced to a soppy romantic with a few doo-be-doos from Frank Sinatra.

I wasn't allowed pop music at home. So when I went to CH and saw the Beatles "Twist and Shout" single lowering onto the deck of the Dansette record player - heard John Lennon's tonsils turned to full volume - I was thrilled with my new education.

Love

Munch
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

In 2's we had Pat Russell who had the reggae and other dance moves, she was a BIG Bob Marley fan too.

I never could 'shake my booty', even I think my dancing is hilarious, and my kids.....

I enjoy dancing and hubby and I had our first row because he wouldn't dance when we went to a club on our honeymoon, he wasn't drunk enough he said. Funnily enough although his dancing hasn't improved he is now more willing to get onto the dance floor and shuffle around.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

englishangel wrote:In 2's we had Pat Russell who had the reggae and other dance moves, she was a BIG Bob Marley fan too.

I never could 'shake my booty', even I think my dancing is hilarious, and my kids.....

Hmmm, yes, well, I've got de rhythm, but if I can find someone tall enough to partner me we tend to take up more than a fair share of the dance floor. Then, of course, there is my abnormally long wingspan (written of yesterday, on another thread) ......................

However, during a brief period when I was a member of a singles' social club I was horrified to see people who were convinced that they were great dancers MOVING THEIR FEET while attempting to emulate reggae dancers. I attempted to convey the information that they would look less as though they were suffering from a severe case of cystitis and more like Jimmy Cliff if they kept their feet still. 'Huh! What would you know????????????? You don't even come to dance classes'.

Growing up in South London does, I feel, excuse me from the need to attend formal lessons :wink:
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.