CH at Hoddesdon?

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

CH at Hoddesdon?

Post by Vonny »

Did the girls school ever have links with Hoddesdon at all? Was just browsing on Ebay & found this Click here...

Also found this link (may have posted the pic of the chapel on here before actually) http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.u ... spital.htm I notice the school was closed between the years 1761-1778 - does anyone know why?
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I have a copy of this book, Vonny. I can't say I have ever read it :oops: :oops: I inherited my father's and my aunt's books on CH. This one has a CH crest printed on the cover, more ornate than that on my school prizes. Inside it is inscribed 'To KES from KSW Xmas 1930'

Just leafing through it, at the back I see Mistresses at Hoddesdon 2 listed between 1675 and 1697 when the school closed.

If you promise to return it, I would gladly lend it to you. (pm me with name and address if interested) Perhaps I should read it myself, when I find time!!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Katharine wrote:If you promise to return it, I would gladly lend it to you. (pm me with name and address if interested) Perhaps I should read it myself, when I find time!!
Thanks but I haven't read a book or years :oops: Would end up keeping it for ages probably so I'd better not take you up on this offer!
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Looking at the author's name of the book, wasn't there a Lempriere at CH when we (Vonny and I) were there in the 80s? It won't be the same one, as the book was published in 1924. Unless he was exceptionally stupid and stayed on for resits for 60 years.
Catherine Standing (Cooper) Image
Canteen Cath 1.12 (1983-85) & Col A 20 (1985-90)

Any idiot can deal with a crisis. It takes a genius to cope with everyday life.
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

cj wrote:Looking at the author's name of the book, wasn't there a Lempriere at CH when we (Vonny and I) were there in the 80s?
Yes - Matthew. I've been in touch with him recently via emails actually. He was in Peele A and left in 1987.
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

This is the trouble - I can remember names of people I was barely acquainted with from 20 years ago, but can't for the life of me remember why I went upstairs, and where I left my keys/phone/scissors/children.

Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

cj wrote:This is the trouble - I can remember names of people I was barely acquainted with from 20 years ago, but can't for the life of me remember why I went upstairs, and where I left my keys/phone/scissors/children.
I can relate to that :lol:

I think I can remember who you are as well - because if you were in 1's we would have faced each other in the dining hall at Hertford (roughly!) - did you have shoulder lengh curlyish hair at Hertford?
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Vonny wrote:did you have shoulder lengh curlyish hair at Hertford?
No!! Long, dark and straight. Then a bob at Horsham. And then long again.

Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

cj wrote:
Vonny wrote:did you have shoulder lengh curlyish hair at Hertford?
No!! Long, dark and straight. Then a bob at Horsham. And then long again.
Bang goes that theory then! :lol:
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

Vonny wrote:
cj wrote:This is the trouble - I can remember names of people I was barely acquainted with from 20 years ago, but can't for the life of me remember why I went upstairs, and where I left my keys/phone/scissors/children.

I think I can remember who you are as well - because if you were in 1's we would have faced each other in the dining hall at Hertford (roughly!) - did you have shoulder lengh curlyish hair at Hertford?
Sisters UNITE!! The very reason men don't have this problem (now I'm in for it!) is that they don't do the baby care, the gooing and gaahing the school runs, the trying to teach kids that a woof woof is a DOG! They go off to work, and come home to the meal, then the children disappear to their bath, then come down to see daddy all smelling nice, then they vanish and then it's time for his brandy and then he goes off to bed - whilst we are still washing up , or trying to get a grass stain out, or waiting for the tumble dryer to finish so we can shake as many creases out of a shirt before it goes back onto a body etc...

Add in the hormones we have, and is it any wonder we all seem to be loosing our marbles? I can see it happening in my daughter already - and she is only 18 - she tried to put the cereal in the fridge - It's hitting us women earlier and earlier - we used to think Aunty Sophie was a bit of a laugh as she was as mad as a hatter - but I can't remember now what I was going to say.............. ho hum... I think that proves the point!

What point was it any how??
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

Have to agree with your comments above, Jude, BUT we had to be absent to put the bread on the table.

I see more of my daughters now than when I was working, and the added bonus is, I see two of my four grand-children nearly every day and the other two at least twice a week.
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Jude
Button Grecian

Post by Jude »

some of us were also working mothers JR!! Even if it meant a neighbour looked after your baby for a couple of hours!

I missed out on Sarahs first step because I was working - I think it was that that sent me back to college - where I was with her and Chris for longer....
Jude Comber (nee Kelynack) 5's 5.38 1975-1980 Herts.
To Learn - read, to Know - write, to MASTER - Teach
cj
Button Grecian

Post by cj »

Jude wrote:
Vonny wrote:

Sisters UNITE!! The very reason men don't have this problem (now I'm in for it!) is that they don't do the baby care, the gooing and gaahing the school runs, the trying to teach kids that a woof woof is a DOG! They go off to work, and come home to the meal, then the children disappear to their bath, then come down to see daddy all smelling nice, then they vanish and then it's time for his brandy and then he goes off to bed - whilst we are still washing up , or trying to get a grass stain out, or waiting for the tumble dryer to finish so we can shake as many creases out of a shirt before it goes back onto a body etc...

Add in the hormones we have, and is it any wonder we all seem to be loosing our marbles? I can see it happening in my daughter already - and she is only 18 - she tried to put the cereal in the fridge - It'sh1t us women earlier and earlier - we used to think Aunty Sophie was a bit of a laugh as she was as mad as a hatter - but I can't remember now what I was going to say.............. ho hum... I think that proves the point!

What point was it any how??
It's definitely having kids that does it. I read somewhere that your brain shrinks when you are pregnant. Didn't ascertain whether it regains its former (impressively huge) size after the birth, but I've never been so ditsy. I used to pride myself on being organised, efficient and on time, but now I trip out of the house, food-stained clothes on inside out (yes, it has been known!) for the first of several excursions to the shop because I can't remember the vital thing I needed.

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I can remember having a discussion with an erudite Russian gent who propounded the theory that each child a woman bears was the equivalent of a degree in a man in brain function so ... (don't know whether having twins would be 2 degrees or not, Mary! depends on whether he thought of carrying or rearing I suppose))
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

I'm keeping out of this one !!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.