Speech Day & Prize Day at hertford

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Speech Day & Prize Day at hertford

Post by Katharine »

While ironing this evening I remembered several things about Speech Day and Prize Day at Hertford - two separate days unlike this year. The Lord Mayor came to Speech Day but didn't give any prizes. My last year when I got my DofE Gold as well as a prize it was Sir John (later Lord) Hunt who gave the prizes. I was the first Dof E to get a prize and he made a sarcastic comment about it "The Enjoyment of Mathematics" - he had not realised that you were supposed to enjoy it! I was the first as I was not (then) a Mon so only got a shilling rather than the higher amount of money a Mon would get. Why did we get the money on Prize day not Speech Day when it was supposed to come from the Lord Mayor?

On my first Speech Day my parents came, as they did for your first and last one, and to my absolute horror when I came out of chapel I saw them walking across the hallowed turf of the School Field with their picnic lunch. I prayed hard that nobody would connect me with these pariahs!!! I was so embarrassed by it. :oops: :oops: :oops: Now I look back on it, it wasn't really a sin was it?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I don't remember my parents coming to Speech Day, I think they did, I just don't remember.

I do remember them coming to my last Prize giving (Sir Colin Davis, OB, as were his sisters who had donated fish knives and forks when they left) which was the last day of the Summer term. I was sitting in the 'prizewinners row' and the girl next to me (I remember who it was but I will spare her blushes) said "do you like older men, because the most gorgeous man has just come in?"

I turned round to look and YES, she was talking about my father.

Now THAT'S embarrassing.

Does the Senior Grecian still start the speech

"My Lord Mayor, Lady Mayoress, Aldermen and Sheriffs of the city of London, my Lord, ladies and gentlemen."
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
midget
Button Grecian

Re: Speech Day & Prize Day at hertford

Post by midget »

Katharine wrote: I was the first as I was not (then) a Mon so only got a shilling rather than the higher amount of money a Mon would get. Why did we get the money on Prize day not Speech Day when it was supposed to come from the Lord Mayor?

On my first Speech Day my parents came, as they did for your first and last one, and to my absolute horror when I came out of chapel I saw them walking across the hallowed turf of the School Field with their picnic lunch. I prayed hard that nobody would connect me with these pariahs!!! I was so embarrassed by it. :oops: :oops: :oops: Now I look back on it, it wasn't really a sin was it?
Only just noticed this. We got our shilling/guinea on St Matt's day
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Speech Day & Prize Day at hertford

Post by Katharine »

midget wrote:Only just noticed this. We got our shilling/guinea on St Matt's day
We got it twice a year, St Matt and Prize Day.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965