Ascension Day

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Ascension Day

Post by Katharine »

Today is Ascension Day, I have very happy memories of it being a very special day at school. When I look back it didn't take much to make us happy - one year The Study made and sold fudge to us to raise money for a trip to Woburn Abbey. (We were encouraged to donate our breakfast sugar to make the fudge!). Why is it that I can remember more about the build up than the actual day itself?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Funnily enough I can remember Ascension Day from primary school more clearly than from CH.

I went to a C 0f E primary school and we would walk from school across the fields to the village church for a service then we were free for the rest of the day.

We used to go on trips doidn't we?

2's had a double decker bus to go on my first year, much better than a boring old coach.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Did we only have the double-decker that one year ? Think that was the Hatfield House outing ( but could be wrong)

Ascension Day is pilchard sandwiches for me - ( we made our own packed lunch, and chose what to put in the sandwiches) .. still love the things, to the disgust of family...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Great Plum
Button Grecian

Post by Great Plum »

Last night at the Ascension Day High Mass at church, the organist played Scipio - that brought back some memories...
Maine B - 1992-95 Maine A 1995-99
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

It was always cold, we had little if any choice about what went in the sandwiches. We then walked miles to run about in the mud, eat and walk back to school. I never thought then that I would ever join the Ramblers Assoc.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think 2's had had the double-decker the year befor I started so yes, you would have had it at least twice.

It was either Hatfield House or Audley End. Neither very interesting to a 12 year old.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

englishangel wrote:I think 2's had had the double-decker the year befor I started so yes, you would have had it at least twice.

It was either Hatfield House or Audley End. Neither very interesting to a 12 year old.
Double-deckers? Luxury indeed
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

And definitely pilchard sandwiches! I had an e mail from a contemporary on Thursday, saying 'Happy Ascension Day. Enjoy the pilchard sandwiches and don't pick the bluebells'.
Happy days.....
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

kerrensimmonds wrote:And definitely pilchard sandwiches! I had an e mail from a contemporary on Thursday, saying 'Happy Ascension Day. Enjoy the pilchard sandwiches and don't pick the bluebells'.
Happy days.....
.. It's now strictly illegal !!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

We are talking over 40 years ago.......when not much was illegal in the Swinging Sixties.