YET MORE HERTFORD PICS

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

YET MORE HERTFORD PICS

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

If you go to:

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/MS_GIN ... .aspx?pg=1

and type "Christ's Hospital" into the search box you will find 21 pics of which six are of CH Hertford. The "Domestic Science" class pupils look very, very serious! Why is the girl being "blanket-tossed"?
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for that David. I'm not sure that the girl being tossed is herself from CH, it says it is a Guide Camp at CH Horsham, so ... When I was a Guide at CH we didn't have CH camps at all, if we wanted to we went to England Schools Guide Camps.

The Domestic Science class is being taught by Betty Jukes who taught most of us who contribute. She gave us a very good grounding. Not sure why they were so serious!

It seems as if it was a special commission as all the photos (except the Guide Camp) were taken on the same day. The Dining Hall has the girls without pinnies - which we wore except on very special occasions. The library was a lovely building I think it was octagonal, with octagonal bays as shown in the photo.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

Katherine,
Sorry about the mistake with the Girl Guides camp - I missed the word "Horsham." That said, it comes as a complete surprise to me that GGs were camping in the CH Horsham grounds, as I was there at that time, and never heard of it. Presumably, it took place during the school holidays.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: YET MORE HERTFORD PICS

Post by englishangel »

petard249 wrote:If you go to:
and type "Christ's Hospital" into the search box you will find 21 pics of which six are of CH Hertford. The "Domestic Science" class pupils look very, very serious! Why is the girl being "blanket-tossed"?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

QUERY

Mary,
Your latest posting has a quote from my e-mail and nothing else. Is this some subtle comment or did something get left off?
David
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: QUERY

Post by englishangel »

petard249 wrote:Mary,
Your latest posting has a quote from my e-mail and nothing else. Is this some subtle comment or did something get left off?
David
I just put it in url brackets so it can be clicked on and go direct to the webpage.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

David - please note the spelling of my Christian name. By the way, after a second look I see one photo was allegedly taken on 3 May, the rest on 3 Mar - what is the betting that this too is a typo?

Mary, I'm surprised you didn't come back about anything I had said about the photos, you usually have such a photographic memory of our life at Hertford!!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:David - please note the spelling of my Christian name. By the way, after a second look I see one photo was allegedly taken on 3 May, the rest on 3 Mar - what is the betting that this too is a typo?

Mary, I'm surprised you didn't come back about anything I had said about the photos, you usually have such a photographic memory of our life at Hertford!!
Just busy at the moment.

However I remember the library extremely well, it was indeed octagonal, I spent most of my Upper sixth in there reading back issues of Punch, I think the entire collectiuon was there. (I got terrible A Level results)

Betty Jukes looks no different in 1952 to howshe did in 1972 (and presumably 1985)

Several of the photos were dated Jan 1st, I think that they were just dated like that as the year was known but not the date.

Certainly I was never at school on Jan 1st, and the boys sitting outside don'tlook as tyhough they are freezing!

I remember the loom being on the ground floor in the hallway. It was of particular interest to me as my ancestry is Huguenot. I was even born in Rye Foreign, so named because that was where the Huguenot immigrants settled, just outside Rye.
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

Katharine wrote:By the way, after a second look I see one photo was allegedly taken on 3 May, the rest on 3 Mar - what is the betting that this too is a typo?
I am sure that "May" is a typo. 1953 was the 400th anniversary year and if I remember correctly the actual month of the celebrations was June, so I suspect that a photographer went round Hertford doing a "shoot" for some sort of celebration booklet or record to mark the occasion.

David
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

petard249 wrote:I am sure that "May" is a typo. 1953 was the 400th anniversary year and if I remember correctly the actual month of the celebrations was June, so I suspect that a photographer went round Hertford doing a "shoot" for some sort of celebration booklet or record to mark the occasion.
I had similar ideas - I wonder whether it was for something like Picture Post - papers didn't have supplements galore in those far off days.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've just perused those photos.
The Dining Hall,Hertford , 1953. That place really was in a time warp.For a moment I thought it was 1971 (as it could just as well have been) and looked for myself. It kind of gave me the shivers ,as in that one photo the essence of life at CH Hertford is somehow crystallized.

I am amazed to see an image dated 1850......the boys dorm....so was that Hertford ? The younger boys ( and they look young ) would have been there then ( in the old listed buildings that must still be there now,I think )
and I recognise the pic.at the back of the photo,hanging on the wall of Leonardo's "Last Supper"....it was still kicking around in a classroom ,or the Art School or somewhere when I was at Hertford ( yes,I know it's a common print but the frame looks familiar ???).

1971 The lunch time parade of the School Band at Horsham.......I think I recognise the drummer with the hair at the front on the left ......his first name was Fraser.

Thanks for those.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

I wish I hadn't looked! Just seeing a photo of Miss Page terrified me.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've just perused those photos.
The Dining Hall,Hertford , 1953. That place really was in a time warp.For a moment I thought it was 1971 (as it could just as well have been) and looked for myself. It kind of gave me the shivers ,as in that one photo the essence of life at CH Hertford is somehow crystallized.

I am amazed to see an image dated 1850......the boys dorm....so was that Hertford ? The younger boys ( and they look young ) would have been there then ( in the old listed buildings that must still be there now,I think )
and I recognise the pic.at the back of the photo,hanging on the wall of Leonardo's "Last Supper"....it was still kicking around in a classroom ,or the Art School or somewhere when I was at Hertford ( yes,I know it's a common print but the frame looks familiar ???).

1971 The lunch time parade of the School Band at Horsham.......I think I recognise the drummer with the hair at the front on the left ......his first name was Fraser.

Thanks for those.
Fraser Cromey- Hawke Maine A and Peele B 65-72
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

midget wrote:I wish I hadn't looked! Just seeing a photo of Miss Page terrified me.
I would not have recognised Miss Page from that photo, perhaps she had been ill between your time and mine, Midget. Betty Jukes however (even though she is not named) is quite unmistakeable!
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

Was Miss Page really THAT frightening? We had a few hard nuts at Horsham but none of them strike a note of dread in my heart when I think of them. This Miss Page must have been something special!