Hertford photos mid/late 60s to early 70s

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

soc wrote:And Caroline you had to say Tam Tams didn't you. We have a friend from Sydney and she sent us a load of TTs. The family went crazy over them
What are they?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Mrs C.
Button Grecian

Post by Mrs C. »

Penguin -like choccie biscuits.
The manager of the charity shop where I`m a volunteer introduced me to the lovely (!!!) habit of biting off opposite corners and using a TT like a drinking straw to suck hot coffee . Delicious - but its very hard to stop at one - so I`ve had to refrain from buying any!! ( can get them in Tesco)
The best way to forget your troubles is to wear tight shoes.
UserRequestedRemoval
Button Grecian

Post by UserRequestedRemoval »

Oh Mrs C, you had to tell my wife where we can get them (TTs) over here din't you!

Guess where she is dragging me tomorrow!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
englishangel wrote:I think Caroline has told the truth but perhaps not all of it.

At some time, and I thought it was before Caroline left we changed grey woollen frock coats to blue linen shift dresses on Sundays.

Incidentally the last time I saw Caroline was when her sister had a baby and I was the sister on the post-natal ward, it must about 25 years ago now.

Er. yes, well, ahem Your Honour. It's more a case of what I do and don't remember than me telling porky pies, or deliberately omitting information.

We did change to the shift dresses for Sunday before I left, as evidenced by what Mary Mc is wearing in one of the photos.

As for failing memory - were you really working in the hospital where my niece or nephew were born, or were you referring to Carolyn? Either way, you didn't see me, as I had already left England, and didn't meet Michelle (niece) until she was about 18 months old, and Paul (nephew, born two or so years later) until he was almost 5.
I didn't mean you were telling porkies. I think it would be almost impossible for one person to remember all the changeswe had between 65 and 72.

I am sure it was you at the hospital, is/was your sister a Health visitor?

I cannot imagine who else it would have been.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Mrs C. wrote:Penguin -like choccie biscuits.
The manager of the charity shop where I`m a volunteer introduced me to the lovely (!!!) habit of biting off opposite corners and using a TT like a drinking straw to suck hot coffee . Delicious - but its very hard to stop at one - so I`ve had to refrain from buying any!! ( can get them in Tesco)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Tim Tam slam :lol:

I introduced my neice and nephew in Haywards Heath to the practice, and to dutch colleagues when I was working for Numico Australia.

Great to hear that others are doing their bit to spread the practice.

Do Tescos stock all the new varieties Arnotts are producing? White truffle, dark chocolate, latte, chilli, and black forest spring to mind.
If anyone organises a forum get together I promise to send a box for you all to try at afternoon tea.
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

englishangel wrote:I am sure it was you at the hospital, is/was your sister a Health visitor?

I cannot imagine who else it would have been.

My sister works for a publishing company, but did a brief stint at a nursing home. My neice and nephew were born in Haywards Heath (don't know the name of the hospital), and I was several thousand kilometres away on both occasions.

A mystery to solve :wink:
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Blimey it's my memory that is going then.

I will now have to have a lie down and try to remember who it was I met.

Now I come to think of it I think it was someone from 4's.

I don't think I will ever remember though, cos from the first time I was reminded of you (by your postings on FRU I have thought it was you.

Talking of memory, my Ma rang last night to tell me it is the Golden Weddding of an aunt and Uncle and their wedding is my earliest memory.

I was 3 months off 3 at the time.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Shiny shiny hair

Post by Angela Woodford »

There was a very glamorous girl in 2's, a year older than I, Barbara Borgars, who had absolutely wonderful glossy dark hair, worn in a flip-up style. (Her hair was so lovely that she seemed to get away with wearing it over the collar whereas others had to scrape theirs back in a horrible rubber band.) I approached another girl in 2's, who agreed to act as mole, to question Barbara about the secret of her shiny hair, and if all else failed , to peer in her sponge bag.

The scheme worked. Taken unawares, Barbara passed her secret to my mole. The info relayed back to me was that the shine was achieved with a product called Estolan! I used it for as long as I could find it - but it's no longer available amongst all the sophisticated products of today. I still miss it.

Barbara Borgars, style siren, what conditioner do you use today?

Munch
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Well I am sure she will get back to you, she posts on here a lot as Euterpe.

My daughter has hair like Barbara's, the colour of a copper beech.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Shiny shiny hair

I do hope Barbara will reply with her latest shiny hair tip! She had such style!

When I first was assimilated into 1's, we were only allowed to wash our hair once a week. On a Saturday afternoon, several ?UV girls arrived to wash our hair. We had to dry it by swishing it about over a towel on the floor. If you were unlucky, the deeply scary Millie would "finish you off" with a hot hot roaring hairdrier in the Wardrobe Room. I can remember how roughly she'd pull at your hair!

I was taught how to twist my hair up into a turban by Sabina Stewart, whose dark hair was incredibly long. I have passed this skill on to my two daughters - "Sabina did it this way!". Most useful!

Munch
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I have emailed Barbara but I think she is on her travels at the moment, she said she was in London for St Matt's Day and she lives and works in Barcelona.

I remember Sabrina from 3's. I thought we could always only wash our hair once a week, on Saturday afternoon. It was lovely in the winter combing our hair out in the lovely warm wardrobe room while the wind howled around outside. I remember Liga (Juanitis who was Latvian and wore her hair in two plaits) and Barbara drying each others hair.

Were you friendly with Julie Howlett, as I met up with her a couple of years ago? We met at Liverpool Street at 11am and had to tear ourselves away from each other at 3pm still talking.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Hello!

I do remember Julie Howlett!

1 We weighed exactly the same at ritual "Weighing & Measuring" age 12. Although I proceeded to a far fatter plane, and er, Julie stayed slim.

2 Julie's party piece was to pronounce that incredibly long Welsh town name. Amazing.

3 Julie was a marvellous netball player. Wing Attack, I think! We weren't allowed to wear jumpers. Julie just never seemed to feel the cold. It must have been because she played so fast!
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Have just laughed myself silly reading the last few posts, and must put modesty aside and make a few comments :

- my hair is still admired and probably owes as much to genetics as cosmetic care ( although I admit to having about 4 different shampoos, 3 conditions, 2 serums and a couple of masks on the go at any one time...)
- in CH days, I went every hols to the Vidal Sassoon school, where I was a regular model, which meant that I had the latest cut and state-of-the-art haircare for free !
- in my UVI I discovered that there had been an election of "the most sophisticated girl in the school" , in which I had not voted nor opted into as a candidate...but won
- St. Mat's day in my UVI: we had a dry-run with Aunty Dot and all had to go to the Hall with our hair done as for " the Day" - I had my hair in a low bun at the back of my neck, and when my turn came, DR looked at me and said " go back to house and brush it out, and come back " - my hair was in a long bob down to my shoulder blades ... " that looks nice, do it like that on Thursday "... so we have photos of BB with her hair half-way down her back against all the other poor girls with hair scragged back - even the boys noticed at the Mansion House and asked me how I got away with it !

and finally, and probably the most disturbing - in 1984 I went back to Hertford for the last OG day before the closing. I was at the back of the chapel with my husband and pram ( Laura was 4 weeks old ) when 3 girls/young women came up to me and announced that they had been part of my chapel fan club ..( no, I DIDN'T know that I had one !) - they told me that they used to listen for my voice in the canticles or anthems.... my husband had to have a sit-down outside on the chapel wall, he was laughing so much !

Julie & I used to dance rock in the day-room ....extremely fast, too ! Do you remember that, Mary ?

Sabina & I were at the French Institute together and remained friends for many years. Her hair was so long that she used to have to wash it in the bath.

Must find a decent piccy of me & put it on the Forum ...

B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Shiny shiny hair

Well, BB!

How terrific to hear from you within the day! I'm sorry to have arranged a mole to peer in your sponge bag if necessary - still, mission accomplished!

You certainly deserved to win the accolade of "most sophisticated"!

Munch
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Angela - why can't I put a face to your name ? I know that being 2 years below & from another house makes it difficult, but even so....jog my memory here, ok ?

B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."