2's in 1982

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Vonny
Button Grecian

2's in 1982

Post by Vonny »

I doubt many (or any :lol: ) of you will recognise anyone here but this is a picture of 2's taken at the end of my first year at Hertford (1982) - I am bottom left in a pink dress :lol:

2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

As far as I can see the style of summer dress didn't change between the end of my time and yours, Vonny. When I was first there, they were all a kind of blue gingham, not the ordinary gingham a more complex weave, these were known as Zephyrs. As Mary reads every post I decided to look zephyr up, and it does say that it is a lightweight material such as a gingham. The coloured dresses came in gradually, by the time I was in the VI there weren't any of the zephyrs left. Each year we would look out to see what new colours had appeared over winter.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Well as you can see - we certainly had a fair few colours in the 80's - I suppose it depended which colours they could get cheapest :lol:
Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: 2's in 1982

Post by Vonny »

Vonny wrote: this is a picture of 2's taken at the end of my first year at Hertford (1982)
Just thinking about this and the pic must have been taken at the start of 1982 academic year as I've just spotted someone in the pic who left in 1982 :roll:
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Actually, some of the zephyrs were left, I had a couple ( much nicer than the summer stripes that replace them because a heavier weave- they hung better).

I think you got the colour you managed to talk yourself into - I had mostly pinks and blues
B.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Euterpe13 wrote:Actually, some of the zephyrs were left, I had a couple ( much nicer than the summer stripes that replace them because a heavier weave- they hung better).B.
Barbara, you overlapped with me for two years, I think there were very few left by the end of 65. It depended on your housemistress whether you could get a colour you wanted, I couldn't with Miss Jenkins, but that's another story!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Katharine wrote:As far as I can see the style of summer dress didn't change between the end of my time and yours, Vonny. When I was first there, they were all a kind of blue gingham, not the ordinary gingham a more complex weave, these were known as Zephyrs. As Mary reads every post I decided to look zephyr up, and it does say that it is a lightweight material such as a gingham. The coloured dresses came in gradually, by the time I was in the VI there weren't any of the zephyrs left. Each year we would look out to see what new colours had appeared over winter.
I obviously don't as I missed this one completely.

I didn't know that about Zephyr (October 1st word of the day).

I had mainly brown and blue striped dresses, I think the brown ones were longer and I was quite tall.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"