HERTFORD PIC #2

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

HERTFORD PIC #2

Post by UserRemovedAccount »

And here's the second one:

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Any idea to date? The skirts are far shorter than we were allowed!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

HERTFORD PICTURE

Katharine,
Mid-/late-1960s. I will confirm actual year at the week-end. The pic was taken during a visit by RAF Foundationers to 617 (Dambusters) Squadron and I should explain that the ones with the wide-eyed innocent looks who give the impression that butter would not melt in their mouths are RAF officers.
David
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: HERTFORD PICTURE

Post by englishangel »

petard249 wrote:Katharine,
Mid-/late-1960s. I will confirm actual year at the week-end. The pic was taken during a visit by RAF Foundationers to 617 (Dambusters) Squadron and I should explain that the ones with the wide-eyed innocent looks who give the impression that butter would not melt in their mouths are RAF officers.
David
I would say that is more Mid than late becasue DR got quite grey towards the end of the 60s. the 'Sunday best' grey tunic and tartan shirt say that as well though why they were wearing the winter Sunday unifrom with summer blazers I am not sure.

It is too small for me to recognise any of the girls.

Can you email me a larger copy and I will try to put names to faces?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: HERTFORD PICTURE

Post by Katharine »

englishangel wrote:I would say that is more Mid than late becasue DR got quite grey towards the end of the 60s. the 'Sunday best' grey tunic and tartan shirt say that as well though why they were wearing the winter Sunday unifrom with summer blazers I am not sure.

It is too small for me to recognise any of the girls.

Can you email me a larger copy and I will try to put names to faces?
Click on it, Mary then it becomes a lot larger. I don't recognise anyone which I should if it was mid-60s, but then I don't think we had an RAF foundationer by the time I left.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

thanks Katharine.

Unless the middle girl is Sue Betteridge, as seen in Hertford pic#1 which would make this about 1967 I don't recognise anyone.
WildOne
3rd Former

Post by WildOne »

I'm pretty sure this pic is a couple of years earlier than the other one, and that the short girl with long dark hair was Hilary Monsell in her first year, which would place it around 1967 I think.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

I agree that one of the girls is Sue Betteridge ( Sevens, and same year as Englishlangel,Wildone and me) and Little Miss dark plaits is Hilary Monsell ( Fours, we used to call her "Monster" ...but affectionately, she was ayear below me) and next to DR I see Janessa Fletcher ( I'm pretty certain). The year 1966? as Janessa was in Sixes and a year older than me but she looks very young there, and I started in '65. Her sister Linden was older and in Fives ( not in photo). Recall the other faces but can't remember their names.

Thanks for posting it. Nice photo, even of DR.
Last edited by Alexandra Thrift on Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Katharine wrote:Any idea to date? The skirts are far shorter than we were allowed!
Surrely the length of a CH skirt was inversely propotional to the current fashionable length?
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

midget wrote:
Katharine wrote:Any idea to date? The skirts are far shorter than we were allowed!
Surrely the length of a CH skirt was inversely propotional to the current fashionable length?
The mini was coming in just as I left. In the Summer term you had to try on your School Needlework and wear it before DR and Miss Richards. One of my firends had made a dress with a fairly mini skirt. She was made to turn round and touch her toes several times to see whether they could see her knickers!

Alex, I remember the name Linden Fletcher, I think she may have started in 6s and then transferred to 5s when it became an all through house. I don't remember the name Janessa, but if she was the year above you, I should!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I remember both Janessa and Linden though I wouldn't recognise them.

Strange that there were 2 Lindens at CH at that time, both have made their name in a man's world.

Linden Fletcher is a priest and Linden from 2s (whose name escapes me is a University Professor of (I think) water ecology in the Netherlands.

I have never met another Linden, nor Janessa come to that.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

No. Janessa always said her mother made up the name. She went through a very religious phase but then got into the Rolling Stones , dancing wildly to "Paint It Black" in the Dayroom.

I'm not sure but the girl next to Janessa could be Josephine McNamara (?)
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

HERTFORD PICTURE

I did not realise that the pic would generate such interest! It was taken on 9 May 1967 and the ladies in the picture are, from left to right:
Janessa Fletcher, Josephine McNamara, Susan Betteridge, Hilary Monsell, and (far right) Sarah Simmons. The macho looking chap between Misses Monsell and Simmons is Wing-Commander Robert Allen (Commanding Officer of 617 Squadron) and the aircraft is an Avro Vulcan nuclear bomber.
If you are wondering how a mere male came to be in possession of this picture, I obtained it when I was researching for my booklet on Sir Barnes Wallis and the RAF Foundation (of which these girls were all members).
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I think we got that right then.

thanks petard
UserRemovedAccount
GE (Great Erasmus)

englishangel wrote:I think we got that right then.
You did not get the Vulcan bomber!

David