HERTFORD PIC #2

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

petard249 wrote:
englishangel wrote:I think we got that right then.
You did not get the Vulcan bomber!

David
I don't think that is immediately obvious!!
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

englishangel wrote:I remember both Janessa and Linden though I wouldn't recognise them.

Strange that there were 2 Lindens at CH at that time, both have made their name in a man's world.

Linden Fletcher is a priest and Linden from 2s (whose name escapes me is a University Professor of (I think) water ecology in the Netherlands.

I have never met another Linden, nor Janessa come to that.
Linden Vincent - a year above me, we went on holiday to Spain together after her A levels - believe she and Drusilla are still in contact...
Linden Fletcher was, I believe Headgirl - and just about the only person in the school not aware of the " mince strike"...
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I cannot believe I forgot her surname, when it was so similar to mine.

I see from oldblues.com that Deirdre is a Uni Lecturer in Australia.

Elizabeth dropped off the radar, but I think Christine became a priest too.
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Re: HERTFORD PICTURE

Post by Alexandra Thrift »

Katharine wrote:Click on it, Mary then it becomes a lot larger. I don't recognise anyone which I should if it was mid-60s, but then I don't think we had an RAF foundationer by the time I left.
Just looking back on this thread, Katharine and noticed your comment re: RAF Foundationers. I think you must have completely abandoned sixes long before you were DR's prefect ! Before you left,as proven by the photo,we had at least TWO in sixes....Janessa Fletcher and Josephine McNamara. :D
Euterpe13
Button Grecian

Post by Euterpe13 »

Yes, but Katharine was 2 years ahead of Jo Mac & me, which means we did not move up to the senior houses, i.e. 2s & 6s until she left, so normal that she would not remember.
Hertford - 5s/2s - 63-70
" I wish I were what I was when I wanted to be what I am now..."
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Katharine was still in sixes when I started Euterpe, because she "stayed on".Janessa was the year above me and Jo two years above.

I was really only teasing Katharine.The memory is sometimes rather fickle!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:Katharine was still in sixes when I started Euterpe, because she "stayed on".Janessa was the year above me and Jo two years above.

I was really only teasing Katharine.The memory is sometimes rather fickle!
Yes I vaguely remember Janessa, but not Jo. I have memories of a blazer with an RAF badge on it being confused with mine which had my DofE Gold on it. If you remember we were not allowed to wear many badges on blazers. Alex, as your memory is so good, what numbers were Jo and Janessa?
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

from Katharine "Alex, as your memory is so good, what numbers were Jo and Janessa?"

I was a laundry girl mmmm let me see.....Janessa was maybe 21 and Jo possibly 24 ......but not too sure grrr...it annoys me that I can't quite remember.
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote:from Katharine "Alex, as your memory is so good, what numbers were Jo and Janessa?"

I was a laundry girl mmmm let me see.....Janessa was maybe 21 and Jo possibly 24 ......but not too sure grrr...it annoys me that I can't quite remember.
Let me think when I arrived, 21 Cecelia - ?? she had the next bed to me in my first year, taught me the Carmen totally phonetically she didn't do Latin! 24 Frances Haley, mother of Maria Grogan 3s many years later. Both were senior to me so their numbers would have gone to others!
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

Carmen

"taught me the Carmen totally phonetically she didn't do Latin! "

I can assure you Katharine that I learnt the Carmen totally phonetically and I DID do latin!

I didn't know what it all meant it until last year when Chris (Friend of Alex) decided to translate it for me.( all part of a mutual "banish those boarding school blues"moment) Do they sing the special verse for the girls at Horsham....I think flowers are mentioned in it ??

Well done remembering those numbers!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Carmen

Post by Katharine »

Alexandra Thrift wrote: "taught me the Carmen totally phonetically she didn't do Latin! "

I can assure you Katharine that I learnt the Carmen totally phonetically and I DID do latin!
Ah, but you didn't hear her phonetics!!!
Thinking during the day, I'm not certain about numbers there was a Celia and a Cecelia, both had surnames starting with H, one was 21 and the other 23. I will not go to the block to say which was which!!!
Alexandra Thrift
Deputy Grecian

DR did seem to have a habit of putting girls with the same name in the same house, or even girls that looked exactly the same . I don't know if she enjoyed the ensuing confusion!

For example "Alexandra" ....there were only two at CH as the name was more unusual then than it is now....BOTH in sixes. " Josephine" ...I think there were only three in the school in the late sixties McNamara ,Hopgood( John's sister) and that Josephine with very long hair who we used to call " Feeny" (friends with Janessa).....ALL in Sixes . ...and so on.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Funnily enough there weren't many Marys at CH, though it was a popular name in the 50's. When I went nursing, out of 13 recent graduates in my 'set' (one a bloke) four of us were called Mary. (Very Bunty)
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

englishangel wrote:Funnily enough there weren't many Marys at CH, though it was a popular name in the 50's. When I went nursing, out of 13 recent graduates in my 'set' (one a bloke) four of us were called Mary. (Very Bunty)
I was good friends with a Mary in my year at CH. My daughter also has a Mary in her class at primary school (aged 6 :lol: )
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Vonny wrote:I was good friends with a Mary in my year at CH. My daughter also has a Mary in her class at primary school (aged 6 :lol: )
Friends of ours have 22 month old twins John & Katie, and a 3 month old Mary - all very traditional names; but not so popular now.