Housemistresses

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

englishangel
Forum Moderator

Re: Housemistresses

Post by englishangel »

Up to Third Form/UIV (at least) in 2's we were only allowed to wash our hair on Saturday. One of my abiding memories is of the airing room on a Saturday afternoon in winter with Barbara (Euterpe) and Liga Juanitis drying their long hair, definitely no hairdryers.

I was lucky in that I didn't have particularly greasy hair but there were a few girls in the school who unfortunately not only had greasy hair but also terrible (almost male-style) acne.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
michael scuffil
Button Grecian

Post by michael scuffil »

The womenfolk in my household (three of them at one time) were/are always very scathing about people who washed their hair more than once a week, so it can't have been so terrible a hardship. More to the point is that this was regulated at all...
Th.B. 27 1955-63
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

As I said, once a week was plenty for me, some people need to wash their hair much more often, or less. Word is that one of the Gallagher brothers (Oasis) hasn't washed his hair for years as the body sorts out its own oil production. I think it takes about 6 months before this happens though.
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

A former colleague claimed that when she gave up washing her hair, she smelled like a sheep for a couple of months, and then things "settled down" as she put it, or maybe she got used to it, and noone dared to complain.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Jo
Button Grecian

Post by Jo »

There was a TV programme some years ago that did an experiment on this. I didn't see it but I remember my mother telling me about it at the time. I think they were comparing various hair treatments, including the "no treatment" option, and the researcher said the same - it drove her mad for the first few weeks, she smelt of lanolin, but then her scalp adjusted and was fine. She said she might never wash her hair again.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

I had greasy hair and freshened it up with (Batiste?) dry shampoo half way through the week. But the stuff was only suitable if you had fairish or blonde hair, anyone with darker hair would have had trouble brushing it through to avoid it looking like dandruff. :oops:
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Thinking back to around 1970, Pot would just never have noticed mid-week hair washing, and I shouldn't think her crony, Bessie of 4's would have noticed either.

Lil in 3's... yes, definitely must have enforced the Saturdays only rule.! "Girls may only" etc. Mrs Browne (7's) would have turned a blind eye. Who was 5's Housemistress at the time? Was The Goat still there? Her hair (snowy white, shampooed and set into an immaculate helmet) was obviously very well maintained, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

I never remember the girls in 8's complaining, although I can't remember the name of the Housemistress who suceeded the rather elegant Monica. In particular, Susan Lintott had the most beautiful thick shiny dark chestnut hair, which must have been washed midweek at least! A magnificent mane!

Fanny in 2's - I believe she was a strict upholder of Rule - but I imagine her tolerating hairwashing in the interests of general smartness, and well-turned-outedness. I believe ol' Fanny was quite OK under the strict surface. A "maintaining good standards" sort of woman. I imagine her understanding the need for a concealed rogue hairdryer.

I just never have forgotten Miss Wilson humiliating that poor girl in front of the rest of her Form. We were 17! Oh, the embarassment... :oops:
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

While we are on the subject of hair - does anyone else remember Clare Lissant, who had the most wonderful really 'Titian' coloured hair?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Nothing, but NOTHING got past Fanny, certainly not a rogue hairdryer. She smoked like a chimney too, but I think she stopped after her op when she came back a much calmer person.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

[quote="Angela Woodford"]Thinking back to around 1970, Pot would just never have noticed mid-week hair washing, and I shouldn't think her crony, Bessie of 4's would have noticed either.

Lil in 3's... yes, definitely must have enforced the Saturdays only rule.! "Girls may only" etc. Mrs Browne (7's) would have turned a blind eye. Who was 5's Housemistress at the time? Was The Goat still there? Her hair (snowy white, shampooed and set into an immaculate helmet) was obviously very well maintained, so I'll give her the benefit of the doubt.

I never remember the girls in 8's complaining, although I can't remember the name of the Housemistress who suceeded the rather elegant Monica. In particular, Susan Lintott had the most beautiful thick shiny dark chestnut hair, which must have been washed midweek at least! A magnificent mane!

Fanny in 2's - I believe she was a strict upholder of Rule - but I imagine her tolerating hairwashing in the interests of general smartness, and well-turned-outedness. I believe ol' Fanny was quite OK under the strict surface. A "maintaining good standards" sort of woman. I imagine her understanding the need for a concealed rogue hairdryer.

When I started in 8's in September 1967 it was Miss Barlow, young and sweet-natured, rather timid... you don't often hear THAT said about Hertford housemistresses!! I don't remember her there for long however, maybe a term or 2. Then it was Miss Willie, who seemed elderly in comparison. She was probably mid or late 60's, nowadays the new 40! Miss W was a soft touch, very easy to play up and gullible, she seemed out of her depth in the job. I think it was Sept 1968 that Mrs Pryke aka Mrs Gardiner started, not very popular, but in hindsight she was ok , especially in comparison with most of the other HMs at the time. Does anyone rememeber Mrs Daniels, who was deputy HM of 7's and 8's late 60's/ early 70's?
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

If mid 60s is the new 40, and life begins at 40, I am due to be born again!!
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

englishangel wrote:Nothing, but NOTHING got past Fanny, certainly not a rogue hairdryer. She smoked like a chimney too, but I think she stopped after her op when she came back a much calmer person.
Obviously I didn't realise the extreme strictness of Fanny!

Although now, something comes back to me! I met Sarah Titcombe (6's, ?three years older than I) several years ago, and she recounted a story in which Fanny had spotted that she had long fingernails and ordered Sarah to report to DR. It seems that Fanny was in a state of fury over the fingernails. Weird! You'd think that Fanny would have complained to The Hag, but no! This was serious enough for DR. Did Fanny have a fingernail obsession, Mary?

Sarah duly queued up in the anteroom and presented her lovely nails to DR, who actually seemed puzzled about what to say. I don't know the outcome - was Fanny thwarted? I must ask Sarah and find out.

I wonder what operation Fanny had to cause her to become calmer? Some cardiac drama that caused her to meditate on her furious ways and cut down on smoking? Or maybe a thyroidectomy?

I should remember those 8's Housemistresses of my time - Barlow, Willie and Pryke - but I don't at all! I should, as I was an occasional visitor to 8's Study as they were allowed (gasp) to listen to their Dansette record player any time!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I don't remember Fanny having a particular paranoia about nails, her own were bright yellow nicotine stained.

She had a brain tumour removed in summer 1969 or thereabouts. My memory is that she wasn't there when we went back to school after the summer. As was the way no-one knew what had happened to her and rumour was rife. Then our 'new' housemistress said she would have a surprise for us at the Christmas party, and Fanny walked in and told us what had happened. She came back to work but probably only for a year to be replaced for my final year by Mrs Dean.
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

Angela Woodford wrote:
englishangel wrote:Nothing, but NOTHING got past Fanny, certainly not a rogue hairdryer. She smoked like a chimney too, but I think she stopped after her op when she came back a much calmer person.

Although now, something comes back to me! I met Sarah Titcombe (6's, ?three years older than I) several years ago, and she recounted a story in which Fanny had spotted that she had long fingernails and ordered Sarah to report to DR. It seems that Fanny was in a state of fury over the fingernails. Weird! You'd think that Fanny would have complained to The Hag, but no! This was serious enough for DR. Did Fanny have a fingernail obsession, Mary?

Sarah duly queued up in the anteroom and presented her lovely nails to DR, who actually seemed puzzled about what to say. I don't know the outcome - was Fanny thwarted? I must ask Sarah and find out.

I wonder what operation Fanny had to cause her to become calmer? Some cardiac drama that caused her to meditate on her furious ways and cut down on smoking? Or maybe a thyroidectomy?

I should remember those 8's Housemistresses of my time - Barlow, Willie and Pryke - but I don't at all! I should, as I was an occasional visitor to 8's Study as they were allowed (gasp) to listen to their Dansette record player any time!

Mrs Pryke/Gardiner kept a very low profile in the house, spending most of her time in her room. On Long Sats, she could usually be found there reading the Daily Telegraph, often not looking up from it ,even when parents tried to speak to her. She just seemed disinterested a lot of the time. However, as it has been mentioned on another thread, she could be very open in the then taboo subject of the facts of life. :oops:
fra828
Grecian

Post by fra828 »

fra828 wrote:
Angela Woodford wrote:

Mrs Pryke/Gardiner kept a very low profile in the house, spending most of her time in her room. On Long Sats, she could usually be found there reading the Daily Telegraph, often not looking up from it ,even when parents tried to speak to her... :? She just seemed disinterested a lot of the time. However, as it has been mentioned on another thread, she could be very open in discussing the facts of life with us. Yes, I do remember that dansette record player on alot of the time in the dayroom too and not many restrictions time wise.