Housemistresses

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Re: Housemistresses

Post by MaryB »

In the 6th form in summer we wore sort of synthetic linen tunics over striped blouses - sets 2 and 3 were short sleeved but we had 3/4 length sleeve blue and white striped ones for best (set 1). They were almost quite nice.... The trouble was, the rotation of sets had to be managed so that we wore them on the right occasions, which meant in practice that we hardly ever did wear them.
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

I quite liked the synthetic linen tunics too, I confess, Mary. Well, not bad for a "modern" school uniform. An OK shade of blue.

Another confession! I didn't mind the tartan blouses. I like tartan. (But those hideous greys; yergghh!) I once had a tartan shirt not unlike the school one - go on, laugh! - :oops: I wore it a bit unbuttoned, sleeves rolled up, tucked into tight jeans + lots of trashy jewellery. Well, it was the Eighties.

I have a favourite little "I hate my uniform" passage - it's a memo from a nurse to her boss Miss Nightingale; written in the hellish blood, disease and mud of the Crimea.

"I came out, Ma'am, prepared to submit to everything, to be put on in every way. But there are some things, Ma'am, one can't submit to. There is the Caps, Ma'am, that suits one face and some that suits another. And if I'd known, Ma'am, about the Caps, great as was my desire to come out and nurse at Scutari, I wouldn't have come, Ma'am."
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
MaryB
GE (Great Erasmus)

Post by MaryB »

Angela Woodford wrote:

I have a favourite little "I hate my uniform" passage - it's a memo from a nurse to her boss Miss Nightingale; written in the hellish blood, disease and mud of the Crimea.

"I came out, Ma'am, prepared to submit to everything, to be put on in every way. But there are some things, Ma'am, one can't submit to. There is the Caps, Ma'am, that suits one face and some that suits another. And if I'd known, Ma'am, about the Caps, great as was my desire to come out and nurse at Scutari, I wouldn't have come, Ma'am."
Munch, this is wonderful.
Mind you, I know some people who feel almost as bad about clerical collars - including my friend being ordained on Sunday (she says that she's bought "a clerical hoodie" - I'm trying not to think about it).
Mary Bowden (Gaskell)
5.10, 3.6: 64-71
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

chaosriddenyears wrote:I remember the tartan blouses but I still can't sort out the plastic sacks. They were blue tunics and we wore a blouse underneath - they were 100% synthetic.

It's not really that surprising - I've never been very interested in clothes and really, our uniforms were not something that any of us would have WANTED to be interested in, let alone commit details of it to memory!

It was really nice when we sang madrigals and wore the old uniforms.

I believe I have a photo somewhere of you and Aggie in Medieval costumes from some Madrigal thing.
chaosriddenyears
Deputy Grecian

Post by chaosriddenyears »

Really? How wonderful, I didn't know one even existed! Aggie and I both sang alto.

It certainly looked more attractive than our uniform - would have been a little bit impractical though!
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

I never got the chance to wear one of those costumes - I would have loved to! In my time we thought that was what they would go back to if the girls ever moved to Horsham, but I think the present girls' uniform is far more practical!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Kate, if we are speaking of the 'Susannah' uniforms, I believe I have a photo of your neice Joanna wearing one. Only I can't remember why?
Frances Grogan (Haley) 6's 1956 - 62

'A clean house is a sign of a broken computer.'
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

There were various old costumes, from different eras, as far as I recall. Jo would probably have been wearing one for madrigals or other singing, Frances. Unlike me, she can sing!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I don't remember ever wearing a Susannah costume for madrigals, possibly because I was an alto and I was dressed up more like Edward VI (the founder Philip).

There is a photo in (I think) Christ's Hospital in photos II of then headgirl Carolyn Newbury and A.N Other in 'Susannah' garb.

I am at daughter's on her laptop so don't have the book to hand.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

Yes, I have it in front of me - No 114. Turn back a page and (109) there is a good picture of coatfrocks, which have been frequently mentioned recently. I can actually put names to four of the girls pictured - Carol Pollard, Diana Marcg, Jean Strevens and Margaret Corley; others I recognise but cannot name. and don't they look smart!?

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

The only one I can name, Frances, is Margaret. Are they wearing pale gloves - we didn't have cuffs on the coatfrocks did we?

By the way, I have just discovered I have TWO copies of Christ's Hospital in Photographs II, so if anyone would like a copy just send me a pm.
Kim2s70-77
Grecian

Post by Kim2s70-77 »

What era does the 'Christs Hospital in Photographs' cover? I was not aware of such a book.
Fjgrogan
Button Grecian

Post by Fjgrogan »

It was published in 1990, compiled by Nick Plumley, and sub-titled the Decades of Change. It includes pictures ranging from the move from London to Horsham right through the replanting after the hurricane.

Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

It has some photos of the London site, then a lot of Hertford from the days of the boys until the demolition of it, finally some of Horsham after the merger, all black and white. It was published in 1990. There are quite a few of St Matthew's Day over the years, although the captions are very poor and don't give the dates. You can certainly see the changes in the uniform over the years!
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Kim2s70-77 wrote:What era does the 'Christs Hospital in Photographs' cover? I was not aware of such a book.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_ss_b?u ... hotographs

Probably can't get it in the US
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"