DR

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Jo
Button Grecian

Re: DR

Post by Jo »

Her retirement gift from the foundation was a rather racy looking sports car, and IIRC the girls' collection provided the radio. I vaguely remember that Carolyn Newbury had to drive it from the garage to the school, and, it being rather too big to gift wrap, it had a bow tied on the aerial.
Jo
5.7, 1967-75
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

See, I don't remember that, or only vaguely, but as as I was leaving at the same time I don't suppose I was paying much attention.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

englishangel wrote:She had a Rover
I never knew that! I wonder where it was garaged.

Does anyone remember Mr Brown, the driving instructor? He was a vaguely creepy man who taught driving in a mini. After several of us became a little anxious that he was regularly putting his hand on our left thighs, Judy Evans was despatched down to DR to complain.

Judy returned with the message that the thigh-groping was completely normal, natural and necessary in order to demonstrate clutch control. DR had spoken.
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
gma
Grecian

Post by gma »

Does anyone remember Mr Brown, the driving instructor? He was a vaguely creepy man who taught driving in a mini. After several of us became a little anxious that he was regularly putting his hand on our left thighs, Judy Evans was despatched down to DR to complain.
Her retirement gift from the foundation was a rather racy looking sports car, and IIRC the girls' collection provided the radio. I vaguely remember that Carolyn Newbury had to drive it from the garage to the school, and, it being rather too big to gift wrap, it had a bow tied on the aerial.
I didn't realise that I was having so many senior moments - only 48 (even tho only just!) and remember neither the car nor the driving instructor! (In fact altho' I remember Miss Tucker arriving, I don't remember DR leaving. How odd. :oops: )

Remember Carolyn Newbury tho', wasn't she Head Girl and had a sister called Melanie?
Gerrie M-A (GMA) - 2:34 71-75

"If you cannot have what you want, then learn to want what you have"
Anon or The Guru or someone worthy like that.
Wasn't DR.
Definitely not.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Blimey, I remember Mr Brown and the thigh groping in his little orange mini. He also smoked like a chimney and you would return to school after a lesson smelling to high heaven and have to explain why. No Febreze in those days.
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:Blimey, I remember Mr Brown and the thigh groping in his little orange mini. He also smoked like a chimney and you would return to school after a lesson smelling to high heaven and have to explain why. No Febreze in those days.
Why was he wearing a little orange mini ?

Kinky, to say the least !!!!
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:
Why was he wearing a little orange mini ?

Kinky, to say the least !!!!
JR, one day I must tell you how I finally passed the Driving Test. You might enjoy it - a mini comes into it, but thankfully not a Mini. Aren't you one of those Incredibly Advanced Driving experts too? But I go :offtopic: and will be in trouble again! :axe:

Gerrie - my dear friend Carolynn is well and just as accomplished as ever! ISTR that the Head Girl had to go to DR for a long Discussion Session every Sunday evening!
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

.........and in a former age, between Police and Local Government, I was a Grade 6 Driving Instructor, and a B.R.S.C.C. tutor at Brands Hatch.

Now, I COULD tell you some stories !
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

J.R. wrote:.........and in a former age, between Police and Local Government, I was a Grade 6 Driving Instructor, and a B.R.S.C.C. tutor at Brands Hatch.

What's holding you back?
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Ajarn Philip
Button Grecian

Post by Ajarn Philip »

midget wrote:What's holding you back?
Undoubtedly modesty, reticence, a natural shyness - all combined with discretion and good taste... :lol: :lol: :lol:
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

Be careful Philip your tongue might come right through your cheek.
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

J.R. wrote:.........and in a former age, between Police and Local Government, I was a Grade 6 Driving Instructor, and a B.R.S.C.C. tutor at Brands Hatch.

Ohmyohmyohmy

Methinks I hear the stirring of butterfly wings in The Orkneys (or somewhere a long way from Adelaide). I may be getting a bit carried away about nothing (in Adelaide there tend to be 0.5 degress of separation, unlike the 6 that the rest of the World experience), but is it at all possible that JR was the examiner that succombed to Munch's charms?

More info please guys.

xx
Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:

Ohmyohmyohmy

Methinks I hear the stirring of butterfly wings in The Orkneys (or somewhere a long way from Adelaide). I may be getting a bit carried away about nothing (in Adelaide there tend to be 0.5 degress of separation, unlike the 6 that the rest of the World experience), but is it at all possible that JR was the examiner that succombed to Munch's charms?

More info please guys.

xx
Well said Caroline.

I love reading Munch's anecdotes and I'm sure JR will be equally interesting in his own way.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

As a Grade 6 Driving Instructor, I became very friendly with many Driving Examiners.

Some of the tales they told, but professional etiquette prevents...........

However, I did have a verbal spat with Sir Stirling Moss at Brands Hatch once when he was showing off on the track and nearly took me off when I was instructing in a Cosworth !

On the other hand, Sir Jackie Stewart was a true gentleman.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

icomefromalanddownunder wrote: Is it at all possible that JR was the examiner that succombed to Munch's charms?
More info please guys.xx
I watched Top Gear on Sunday night. An Audi (was it?) was being compared with a BMW. Clarkson drove the BMW, and the Audi test driver who reminded me.. oh! I was overcome with nostalgia for my fabulous driving instructor! It wasn't JR. Although JR is fabulous in his own way, I add, hastily. 8)

Somewhere on the Forum is a Driving Test thread. I might add a disclaimer for every non pc moment. It was 1979!