DR

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

WildOne
3rd Former

Post by WildOne »

How well I remember the French boy shinning up the drain-pipe at the Auberge... It seemed so terribly exciting, (even though 'nothing happened' to use the modern expression).

I remember him giving me a little ring made out of bent copper wire when he kissed me goodbye on the railway station. It was all 'first love' stuff, my beating heart and weepy eyes, and hell to pay afterwards from DR !!! LOL

But I still remember my first grown-up kiss very fondly, and it was another 20 years before I eventually lost that little ring.

I sometimes drive down to the South of France and when I see those names on the sign-posts: Narbonne, Perpignon, Carcassone... I still feel slightly wistful about that boy. Is that strange so many years later?

Gaye Linskill 4.24 1965-1970.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

WildOne wrote:How well I remember the French boy shinning up the drain-pipe at the Auberge... It seemed so terribly exciting, (even though 'nothing happened' to use the modern expression).

I remember him giving me a little ring made out of bent copper wire when he kissed me goodbye on the railway station. It was all 'first love' stuff, my beating heart and weepy eyes, and hell to pay afterwards from DR !!! LOL

But I still remember my first grown-up kiss very fondly, and it was another 20 years before I eventually lost that little ring.

I sometimes drive down to the South of France and when I see those names on the sign-posts: Narbonne, Perpignon, Carcassone... I still feel slightly wistful about that boy. Is that strange so many years later?

No.

I didn't go on the Feench trip as I went on my own during the Easter holidays, but I can remember vivdly what I did.
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
J.R.
Forum Moderator

Post by J.R. »

englishangel wrote:
WildOne wrote:How well I remember the French boy shinning up the drain-pipe at the Auberge... It seemed so terribly exciting, (even though 'nothing happened' to use the modern expression).

No.

I didn't go on the Feench trip as I went on my own during the Easter holidays, but I can remember vivdly what I did.
Bought some Feench Lotters, possibly ??
John Rutley. Prep B & Coleridge B. 1958-1963.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

J.R. wrote:
englishangel wrote:

No.

Bought some Feench Lotters, possibly ??
Hence the pm. e and r are next to each other you know.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

englishangel wrote: e and r are next to each other you know.
Either I am getting very old or this forum is getting increasingly esoteric - please Mary, I do not understand how this can be ....
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

DavebytheSea wrote:
englishangel wrote: e and r are next to each other you know.
Either I am getting very old or this forum is getting increasingly esoteric - please Mary, I do not understand how this can be ....
On the keyboard, I typed Feench instead of French.
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

Of course! How stupid of me. There was I pondering adventurous Hertford girls on a school trip engaging in some sort of Romantic escapades between the towns of Erpigny and Rochebonne - escapades that even now could not be aired publicly. I thought they were the subject of pms between you.

How very ordinary it all turned out to be - just letter placement on the keyboard.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
WildOne
3rd Former

Post by WildOne »

duh! LOL ... no coffee this morning Dave?
Vonny
Button Grecian

Re: DR

Post by Vonny »

WildOne wrote:whilst searching the web for information about DR, as we called her.
Bit late in the day I admit, but why did you call her DR? Presuming she wasn't a doctor :shock:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Vonny wrote:Bit late in the day I admit, but why did you call her DR? Presuming she wasn't a doctor :shock:
They are her initials Dorothy Ruth West, every notice she ever put up anywhere in the school was either initialled DRW or had her name as D R West on it, always in blue ink - not blue black or black but a particular shade of blue.
You should say it as D R not as doctor when you see it written here!
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

Thanks for clearing that up Katharine!
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Post by Angela Woodford »

Just wondering - could DR drive?

I always thought she must have been able to drive, but had no car at school...
"Baldrick, you wouldn't recognise a cunning plan if it painted itself purple, and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing "Cunning plans are here again.""
MKM
Grecian

Post by MKM »

Yes, DR could drive. When the postal strike was on she spent a day driving round the countryside picking up entrance test papers. She took a few girls with her, for the ride, including me. We had a packed lunch provided by the kitchens, featuring two rounds of dry and boring sandwiches. One poor girl had a third round, which turned out to be plain bread and butter, with no filling. DR naturally insisted that we ate them all. In the afternoon she took us to a tea shop.
Mary
CH 1965-1972
Katharine
Button Grecian

Post by Katharine »

Angela Woodford wrote:Just wondering - could DR drive?

I always thought she must have been able to drive, but had no car at school...
She drove me to London when I was in the SVI. I was going to Ireland for a cousin's wedding and had to catch the night boat train from Paddington. As I wasn't a London girl (but I was already 18) I couldn't be trusted on my own after dark in the metropolis. She told me that she would have let any of the others go by themselves, but felt in loco parentis for me.

Another time she drove my Guide Patrol to a county competition. I don't remember her reasoning that time, why we didn't/couldn't go on public transport. It was a Saturday and should have been Speech Day but the Lord Mayor had requested a change of date. I remember her joking that she would not have been able to drive us had it been Speech Day - I wonder whether we would have been able to go had it been Speech Day? We did her proud that day and came third out of the whole County.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

She had a Rover and often took girls out on Long Sat if they lived too far away for their parents to visit, especially the Upper Vth and Upper VI who were revising in the summer term. she thought getting us away for our books a very good idea.