Half to Remember

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Mid A 15
Button Grecian

Post by Mid A 15 »

The obituary of Malcom McKelvey, a former Head Of Music at Horsham, appeared in The Telegraph sometime after his death.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jh ... db3102.xml

Maybe, if you have contacts with any of them, it would be an idea to canvass the opinion of members of Miss West's family and submit your eulogy if they are in agreement.

My view, as a "neutral", is that the Headmistress of a good girls public school for 30 years deserves an obituary in the press especially when other teachers and headteachers have received such a tribute.
Ma A, Mid A 65 -72
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Well I could always send my Eulogy to The Times (which is the paper to which she subscribed to the end)... but why should it be down to me...?
What do others think?
Kerren
Hi Kerren

I would be very grateful if you would submit your eulogy for possible publication.

I have to wonder whether the school has, and if it hasn't, why it hasn't, contacted someone from DR's era to write an obituary.

Best wishes

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
englishangel
Forum Moderator

Post by englishangel »

I must admit I checked the Torygraph for about a week after Christmas to see if it was there.

Was DR not also a Freeman (sic) of the City of London?
"If a man speaks, and there isn't a woman to hear him, is he still wrong?"
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I'm not sure about the Freeman of the City, Mary. I remember Jean Morrison getting it (and later Diana Gould), but I can't recall if DR did. Perhaps there's a list somewhere....
I'll do some research.
I am uneasy about making my 'eulogy' more publicly available because it is more personal than 'professional'. If and when we have a Memorial Service, presumably the Foundation/Council of Almoners will appoint someone to give an address from the school (i.e. her employment) perspective - and that's the sort of thing you expect to read in the Times or the Telegraph....
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
sejintenej
Button Grecian

Post by sejintenej »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I'm not sure about the Freeman of the City, Mary. I remember Jean Morrison getting it (and later Diana Gould), but I can't recall if DR did. Perhaps there's a list somewhere....
I'll do some research.
I am uneasy about making my 'eulogy' more publicly available because it is more personal than 'professional'. If and when we have a Memorial Service, presumably the Foundation/Council of Almoners will appoint someone to give an address from the school (i.e. her employment) perspective - and that's the sort of thing you expect to read in the Times or the Telegraph....
Kerren,
To h**l with them. If you feel (as you appear to) that she deserves a public obituary and the family don't object then go for it in such place as you feel appropriate. If it was 'personal' that is because you knew the lady in all her moods - the real woman - not a stereotype of a 1960's schoolmarm. If you want to edit it for publication - that is a different matter. You say 'if and when' there is a Memorial Service............... - in 2010? It could very possibly never occur. How many people in the Counting House knew her? How many even care that she is dead? You knew her, you respected her so YOU do what you feel is right and proper. ( I am not arguing that you shouldn't get other pupils who knew her to contribute / edit / add. Perhaps relatives can give some insight into her extra curricular activities but just get on with it)

If you don't then one of two things can happen:
a) nothing will happen and the hurt will fester inside you, or
b) someone who didn't know her will write some platitudes which you don't agree with and you will feel angry at that, and
c) if anthing is done it will be way out of date in any case.

AFAIR you read a form of obituary at her funeral; did you think to give the family a copy of what you said? (Don't answer that publicly)

If, in life, you feel that something should be done then YOU do it because otherwise probably it won't be done.

David
What happens if a politician drowns in a river? That is pollution.
What happens if all of them drown? That is solution!!!
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Please do publish, Kerren
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

DR Obit

Post by Angela Woodford »

I agree, there should an Obituary, and who better than you Kerren, who did so much for her?

I'm the last person to makes such suggestions, but maybe your really excellent Eulogy could be tweaked a little bit with her academic achievements, scholastic oervre, educational philosophy - that sort of thing?

Is there any further thought about a date for the Memorial Service yet?

Love

Munch
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I agree that there ought to be some national recognition and that my 'appreciation' as it stands is too personal.
A well-respected OG phoned me this morning and asked if I could indeed reformat it - add in biographical and professional details and remove the personal stuff. So I might do that.. but not just yet a) cos I am run off my feet with work and PCC stuff this weekend and b) I have just lent out my copy of H to R! But there isn't any hurry...
The next thing is, which paper? She read the Times but the Groaniad might like it as well cos she was in Education - and they won't both want the same version. Then there's the DT and the Independent...same thing (I have been warned). Do I really want to reformat it and then rewrite it three more times.....?
AArrgghh
(No, no news on a date for a Memorial Service yet. Again on the advice of well-respected OG I am going to ask the HM's PA if she has any idea....)

Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Hi Vonny... if you want to borrow my copy you are more than welcome. PM me your details (I know I had them before but I am afraid I did not retain them....) and I will lend you my copy by snailmail?
Kerren
Just to let you know I received the book this morning - thanks for sending it Will try and read it in the next few days - won't be tonight as I'm off out :drinkers:
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Don't hurry Vonny.. I won't be able to do anything just yet anyway. Enjoy the Guiness (is that's what is going down and up in that glass?!)
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
Vonny
Button Grecian

Post by Vonny »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Enjoy the Guiness (is that's what is going down and up in that glass?!)
Definitely NOT Guinness :lol: I've written about that story somewhere on these forums - I haven't touched Guinness (or Martini) since I mixed the two at CH! Image
2's 1981-1985 2:12 BaB 1985-1988 BaB 41
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

kerrensimmonds wrote:I agree that there ought to be some national recognition and that my 'appreciation' as it stands is too personal.
A well-respected OG phoned me this morning and asked if I could indeed reformat it - add in biographical and professional details and remove the personal stuff. Kerren

Hi Kerren

Would you be willing for said well-respected OG to reformat it?

Adelaide's daily newspaper, although lacking in journalistic terms ('But I read it in The Advertiser, so it must be true' not) makes up for its failings, in my opinion, by the style of tributes it publishes - a balance of professional and personal information. The difference between living in a big country town and a city, I guess.

Best wishes

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Richard Ruck
Button Grecian

Post by Richard Ruck »

I thought I should let everyone know that, all being well, copies of Half to Remember will be available from the CHA stall on Old Blues Day.
Ba.A / Mid. B 1972 - 1978

Thee's got'n where thee cassn't back'n, hassn't?
DavebytheSea
Forum Moderator

Post by DavebytheSea »

kerrensimmonds wrote:Well I could always send my Eulogy to The Times (which is the paper to which she subscribed to the end)... but why should it be down to me...?
What do others think?
Kerren
I should Kerren, because that's how these things are generally done.
David Eastburn (Prep B and Mid A 1947-55)
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Bit late now, David. She died 7 months ago....