Half to Remember

Share your memories and stories from the Hertford Christ's Hospital School, which closed in 1985, when the two schools integrated to the Horsham site....

Moderator: Moderators

Katharine
Button Grecian

Half to Remember

Post by Katharine »

I have just found my copy of 'Half to Remember'.
; having read through some of the posts here, I was reminded of its existence. I don't know whether I have ever read it through before, but I think I will now. Glancing though, I see that DR does use Christian names for some girls, but there is no disclaimer saying 'names have been changed to protect individual identities' so presumably they are the right ones. I don't yet know whether they refer to anything in my time at CH.

If anyone would like to borrow it, please send me a pm with your name and address and I will send on when I have read it.
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
WildOne
3rd Former

Post by WildOne »

Just a note to anyone interested in Katharine's offer... I beat you to it!
So it's not available at the moment, but I'll post on here when I've returned it :)

Many thanks Katharine :)

Gaye Linskill 4.24
1965 - 1970
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Half to Remember

Post by Angela Woodford »

Rather late in the day, I would love to borrow the DR Memoirs! Do you still have it Gaye? Or has it gone back to Katharine?

Munch
Katharine
Button Grecian

Re: Half to Remember

Post by Katharine »

Angela Woodford wrote:Rather late in the day, I would love to borrow the DR Memoirs! Do you still have it Gaye? Or has it gone back to Katharine?

Munch
Gaye still has it, I must see whether I have any contact details for her as it seems ages ago I sent it to her. If I get it back .....
Katharine Dobson (Hills) 6.14, 1959 - 1965
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Half to Remember

Ooh, yes please Katharine. Having seen snippets elsewhere on the Forum, I am longing to read the book! Fascinating! Infuriating!

Munch
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: Half to Remember

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

Angela Woodford wrote:Ooh, yes please Katharine. Having seen snippets elsewhere on the Forum, I am longing to read the book! Fascinating! Infuriating!

Munch

Hi Katharine

I would love to read it too, and will happily pay registered postage to and from UK if you are willing to trust me with it, once you reclaim it from Gaye, and Munch has read it.

Best wishes

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

I too have a copy (though two years ago I had a box of them, inherited from DRW's wardrobe when she went into the Nursing Home.They were sold off at the Reunion in April 2005).
I am happy to lend it out provided I can be guaranteed to get it back......
(DRW's Rector has 'me' 'in the frame' as and when the need arises..........)
Kerren Simmonds
5's and 2's Hertford, 1957-1966
midget
Button Grecian

Post by midget »

Yes please, Kerren. Let me know how to pay p&p.
Thou shalt not sit with statisticians nor commit a social science.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Half to Remember

Hello Katharine

I could post the book to Caroline when I've read it! I don't know if Gaye has returned it to you? I remember Gaye as the school's best swimmer - am I right?

Munch
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Hello Margaret
I am Messaging you via the Forum re borrowing my copy of DRW's book
Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

PANIC STATIONS

Post by kerrensimmonds »

(and sorry if this is a duplicate of an aborted message which I started just now!)

Please, where is my copy of 'Half to Remember'? I know that Midget sent it back and then I sent it on to Liz, who sent it to Munch, who - I think - may have sent it to Caroline in Oz?

The problem is that I had an e mail about half an hour ago from DRW's brother and sister in law, saying they had visited today (7th December) and had found her significantly deteriorated over their last visit, 12 days ago. They asked me to inform all other OG's who might be interested.

If they are right there may be a funeral in the offing, and I might be in the frame to deliver the address. Oh help! So pleaase does someone somewhere have my copy of the Autobiography,just in case?

And if no-one owns up to having my copy, does someone else have their own copy which I might borrow for the duration, please?

Thanks

Kerren
Kerren Simmonds
icomefromalanddownunder
Button Grecian

Re: PANIC STATIONS

Post by icomefromalanddownunder »

kerrensimmonds wrote:(and sorry if this is a duplicate of an aborted message which I started just now!)

Please, where is my copy of 'Half to Remember'? I know that Midget sent it back and then I sent it on to Liz, who sent it to Munch, who - I think - may have sent it to Caroline in Oz?
Hi Kerren

Munch has posted it to me - the moment it arrives I will return it to you via a Courier or Express Post.

Would you please email me your postal address, or perhaps Munch included it with the book?

Alternatively I could scan it to pdf - have no idea how long the book is, so this may be totally unacceptable.

Sending telepathic messages to Dot, asking her to forgive me all my past indiscretions, and to hang in there until your book is safely returned.

Caroline
Caroline Payne (nee Barrett)
Hertford 6.20 1965-70

Adelaide, dear Adelaide; where the water is foul, but the wines more than make up for it.
Angela Woodford
Button Grecian

Re: PANIC STATIONS

icomefromalanddownunder wrote:
kerrensimmonds wrote:(and sorry if this is a duplicate of an aborted message which I started just now!)

Hi Kerren

Munch has posted it to me - the moment it arrives I will return it to you via a Courier or Express Post.

Would you please email me your postal address, or perhaps Munch included it with the book?

Alternatively I could scan it to pdf - have no idea how long the book is, so this may be totally unacceptable.

Sending telepathic messages to Dot, asking her to forgive me all my past indiscretions, and to hang in there until your book is safely returned.

Caroline
Kerren - HTR posted to Caroline!

Caroline - Kerren's address is inside the book - sticker inside front cover. the book is small . It's a slender paperback.

Love to all

Munch
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Thanks Caroline and Munch.
She hasn't gone yet (and may not indeed do so...) but the decline would be consistent with the deterioration I saw when I visited three weeks ago. Will try and go again before Christmas
Kerren Simmonds
kerrensimmonds
Button Grecian

Don't Worry!

Post by kerrensimmonds »

Hello Caroline (and Munch, and Liz.. and all other Hertford Old Blues on The Forum)

Don't worry about scanning or Expressing back my copy of 'Half to Remember'. I have located two copies with fellow OG's locally, should I need them.

Whereas it will be good to get my own copy back in the fulness of time, you no longer need to panic to send this back as soon as it reaches Australia!

The word from the owner of DR's Nursing Home is that the family have over-reacted to what they found yesterday, but that at the end of the day she is 94 and, physically, things are packing up. They implied in a conversation with a fellow Hertford Old Blue today that they thought that it might all be over by Christmas.

I am committed to visiting again on Sunday 17 December (can't go this weekend), so much of me hopes she survives until then!

In the meantime, Caroline, stop worrying about sending me back the book. Enjoy it (if that's the right word?!) before putting it back in the post for the UK.

Kerren
Kerren Simmonds